Author Topic: Roller weight combinations  (Read 1965 times)

shermanfunk

• '09 Agility 50
    • View Profile
Roller weight combinations
« on: August 16, 2009, 12:53:47 AM »
i just picked up a roller weight set, ranging from 3 grams to 8 grams, 3 of each size. I was told i could use different combinations of the weights, such as the 6's with the 5's, to get the 5.5 weight. Anyone on here done this, or have any advice for doing this?
thanks!
btw, the writing on the package is in Chinese, so i don't know what brand they are. all it says is "Dio" in a stamp on the package...

Kenho21

• I live my life 0.402336 kilometers at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Roller weight combinations
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 01:32:23 AM »
I've been curious about the same thing, is better performance achieved by a weight combination instead of using all one weight? I hope you will post results when you have some.

Ken
2009 Kymco Agility 50- 72cc Airsal kit, Uni Free-Flow Air Filter, Main Jet 120, 1500 Contra Spring, 6g Rollers, Malossi Multivar Variator, NCY Exhaust, NCY 80cc Camshaft, Cut CDI, Smooth Boss Drive, MRP Ignition Coil

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 03:48:56 AM »
It seems like common sense that the heavier weights will fly first causing the lighter ones to "float". I have not tried it, and I don't believe I would.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

TuttoCambia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 03:57:42 AM »
I forget where but I read that youre supposed to use the same weight for all the rollers.

I just put 5.5gram in my malossi variator and at times it seemed like there was very little acceleration. I think I had better overall acceleration when I had the 6gram rollers installed.

shermanfunk

• '09 Agility 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 11:24:01 PM »
I'm very happy to post my results to this! i was finally able to get to the variator after buying the right attachments to use a socket set with an impact drill. The stock kymco weights which seem to be 6 gram weights, had massive flat spots on them. i put a combination of 4 gram and 5 gram weights, and am able to go 10 miles per hour faster up my hill. i was only going between 10 and 25 mph, depending on if i had my girlfriend on with me or not, and am now going up to 30 mph up the hill.
Top speed has not been affected, i'm hitting up to 43-45 mph on flat ground without strong winds. I have noticed it takes a slightly longer time to reach top speed, pretty stoked on the overall results though. I've put around 6500 miles on the Agility 50, and this is the first time the weights have been changed. I reccomend others to at least take a look at your weights if you puts lots of miles on your scooter, it seems like they have the potential to get worn down fast...
Thanks for the input from everyone...

/sherman

shermanfunk

• '09 Agility 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 12:24:41 AM »
UPDATE: I am actually going to change to the 5 gram and 6 gram weights. I noticed with the 4's and 5's it takes a lot longer for the engine to rev down, it doesn't feel right at all... it is flying up hills now though!!!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 01:12:44 AM »
Just a question, If you are at 27 grams w/ 4-5 why not add 3 more fives to get to 30? One thing I would expect is the heavier wieghts will flatten quicker with the lighter ones not quite doing their job. You said yours were flat, and they were all pulling their weight. (pun intended) There is a post by wordslinger about running three alone, and his results were pretty bad-pretty quick! perhaps if you check them after several dozen miles and post back we can all learn something from your experience. Thanks
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

shermanfunk

• '09 Agility 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 02:00:57 AM »
the kit i got only had 3 of each size. there are six slots in the variator, so it's like you are supposed to put two different sizes, alternating each size each compartment. i put the 5's and 6's in now and went for a ride, it feels much better. smoother overall, punchier on hills and on the flat. i will check the rollers after about 50 miles and see what their condition is, and post back here...

/s

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()