Author Topic: Agility 50 very slow going up hill  (Read 6896 times)

drew

• View Profile
Agility 50 very slow going up hill
« on: July 06, 2014, 06:42:53 PM »
I posted this in the technical section as well but I am not entirely sure where the best place to post this so:

I've been riding around on my kymco agility 50 for the past few days, and I dread going up hills purely because I go very very slow up them. Down hill and straight roads are no problem but going up them is embarrassing to say the least.

I also have a top box on my moped so does that effect the speed in any way?

Is there anyway to increase the speed going up hills? I'm going to a moped garage in two days time (tuesday) to have a few things fixed but is there anything I should mention to him in particular, or too look at anything?

What can be done to improve it :-[

p.s its an 2010 Agility 50 4 Stroke

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: Agility 50 very slow going up hill
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 07:44:10 PM »
best place to post this
How about making a worthwhile research effort BEFORE posting?  There are NUMEROUS previous discussions on this topic!

drew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 10:01:02 PM »
How about making a worthwhile research effort BEFORE posting?  There are NUMEROUS previous discussions on this topic!
which I did do and have seen multiple responses so I do not know which is the best alternative to go with, especially when I am a beginner with scooters.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 10:23:08 PM »
Don't sweat it.

First I would ask for a compression test to verify the condition of the cylinder, and head.
Second is to do a Valve adjustment. It is easy t do, and only takes 5 minutes once the plastics are removed. The lash is set to 0.04mm

Once you know this is all good get a set of lighter rollers (5,5gr) or 6-7gr Dr. Pulley sliders.
The final part is a 10.00 control spring that installs in the rear pulley. If you weigh around 150-160 get a 1500 rated spring if you are closer to 200lbs get a 2000 rated spring.

Rollers/sliders, and spring are less than 25 dollars for quality parts.

You will not gain any power but it will be delivered to the rear wheel better, and hills will not embarrass you any longer.

Now you also have to buy a leash for Tortoise. He's slow going but bites like hell!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 07:43:13 PM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 12:19:11 AM »
Without going insane with mods, I think you bought the wrong scooter. You will always be going pretty slow up hill with a 50cc for stroke. To get "good power" uphill, go with a big bore kit or a bigger bike.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 02:04:12 AM »
Or an 80MPH ZX 50... 1500.00
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 02:13:17 AM »
    x 2 you will love sliders.they keep the scoot rev up realy good.

drew

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 08:42:31 PM »
Don't sweat it.

First I would ask for a compression test to verify the condition of the cylinder, and head.
Second is to do a Valve adjustment. It is easy t do, and only takes 5 minutes once the plastics are removed. The lash is set to 0.4mm

Once you know this is all good get a set of lighter rollers (5,5gr) or 6-7gr Dr. Pulley sliders.
The final part is a 10.00 control spring that installs in the rear pulley. If you weigh around 150-160 get a 1500 rated spring if you are closer to 200lbs get a 2000 rated spring.

Rollers/sliders, and spring are less than 25 dollars for quality parts.

You will not gain any power but it will be delivered to the rear wheel better, and hills will not embarrass you any longer.

Now you also have to buy a leash for Tortoise. He's slow going but bites like hell!

Right I'm literally going to tell the guy in the garage all of this(more or less) tomorrow when I go and see him, I'm a few pounds under 200 so I'll get the 2000 rated spring, also I am from the UK so I'm assuming the parts wouldn't be much pricier than the american conversion, as the man orders from a catalogue and receives them within two days.
Also, rollers vs dr pulley sliders, which would you go with? Is there much difference
Oh yeah almost forgot, does a top box effect the speed of which your scooter will go at etc?

drew

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 08:45:07 PM »
Without going insane with mods, I think you bought the wrong scooter. You will always be going pretty slow up hill with a 50cc for stroke. To get "good power" uphill, go with a big bore kit or a bigger bike.

got this bike for a very good price as it was second hand, and is only temporary for around 4 months then I'm shooting off to a 125 :D, also I'm on a fairly small budget so I'm most likely not going to go into mods.

drew

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 08:46:45 PM »
    x 2 you will love sliders.they keep the scoot rev up realy good.
sorry once again:(, and I see but what's the main difference between the sliders and pullers and which would be the better one to go with?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 02:01:38 AM »
I recommend the sliders. Either 5.5gr Ninja Sliders or 7-8Gr Dr. Pulley Sliders.
 A Malossi RED control spring.

No the box won't hinder you at all.
 SIP racing is who I would use in the UK for parts. The conversions are going to be the same cost to you. 25-30 bucks US or 10-15 Eu.

Sliders last MUCH longer, and give a better feel to the bike. They deliver power when/where it is needed.
You MIGHT gain a few mph but you will definitely increase torque for hill climbing
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:56:44 AM by zombie »

greagle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 03:34:47 AM »
I posted this in the technical section as well but I am not entirely sure where the best place to post this so:

I've been riding around on my kymco agility 50 for the past few days, and I dread going up hills purely because I go very very slow up them. Down hill and straight roads are no problem but going up them is embarrassing to say the least.

I also have a top box on my moped so does that effect the speed in any way?

Is there anyway to increase the speed going up hills? I'm going to a moped garage in two days time (tuesday) to have a few things fixed but is there anything I should mention to him in particular, or too look at anything?

What can be done to improve it :-[

p.s its an 2010 Agility 50 4 Stroke

I live in Indianapolis and there are a few hills. Don't be embarrassed by it. I used to have these feelings when starting an incline. I plan for them. I have never really 'modded' my scoot. I have a 50cc. I have been riding Kymco 50cc since 2009. 24/7 and I learned different routes when I am loaded with groceries ... Learned the lights ... Learned the traffic patterns.

I don't want to do modifications because this is my transportation. If you want to mods because you have other transportation, that is fine. Do not ever feel embarrassed about riding a scoot. Just remember, the person in a car passing (or trying to pass) at 10mph over the speed limit, they are paying a lot more money to get where they are going in a hurry (and in my case, I pull up to them during the next red light). When this happens - I always give a 'nod' to say - "Yep". 

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 03:50:11 AM »
Dr pulley sliders all the way.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

ConradFr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 05:45:04 PM »
I go very very slow going up hill

Same for me and the solution (for me) was

Unrestrict variator and CDI
Putted 3x 6.5g roller with 3x 8.5g rollers on the front varator

Now all is OK

Next week i will put a 82 main jet instead of the 80 main jet stock

Bye

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 07:48:59 PM »
Hi Conrad,
You will want to swap out those rollers for a complete set of 7.5gr if the bike feels good to you.
Reason is... The heavy rollers in your var are doing all the work, and the light ones are just going for the ride. They will wear MANY times faster, and could actually fail, and bust up your drive train.

Mixing is only good for getting the approximate weight dialed in.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()