Author Topic: Water in the battery compartment  (Read 3384 times)

axy

• View Profile
Water in the battery compartment
« on: October 26, 2009, 03:44:17 PM »
My old Kymco Cobra 50 (Top Boy in USA) had the same placement of battery compartment as A125, underneath the floorboard.

Kymco is obviously challenged with this battery positioning issue - on my P250 they put it under the seat and it should be behind the seat like on Piaggio Beverly, in order to get more space in the met in box storage. It is OK to put battery as low as possible because of lowered center of gravity, provided that water does not get in!!!!

The problem with battery underneath the floor is the fact that this space is not exactly water proof. I found out yesterday that both battery, all fuses and CDI were bathing in water!!!

Took everything out, dried everything, sprayed with WD40, installed back and I am planning to make a gasket with silicone or something...

Incredible.

It is not clearly visible in the picture, but CDI+connector are sitting in a pool of water and white spots are electrode grease smeared all over...

>:( :-[ :-\ :'(

---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Water in the battery compartment
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 05:54:52 PM »
..wow...what a mess...I ride in the rain when necessary, and never thought to look....

..i'm gonna go wash my scoot and check that out...

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 06:07:59 PM »
How bout drilling 3-4 , 1/4" holes toward the rear/ bottom section of the box. I think w/ the heating, and cooling cycles of the parts in there you will wind up with a condensation problem. (if you air tight the box).The zx batt. is pretty open to the elements (as is the cdi) w/ no ill effect.A silicone "gasket" will help, and you will still have some breathing room...Ps. if you have a lead / acid batt. you definitaly need to keep it vented. I have been using an Interstate gell batt. for about 7 months now and like it so far. $45.00
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 07:44:25 PM »
How bout drilling 3-4 , 1/4" holes toward the rear/ bottom section of the box. I think w/ the heating, and cooling cycles of the parts in there you will wind up with a condensation problem. (if you air tight the box).The zx batt. is pretty open to the elements (as is the cdi) w/ no ill effect.A silicone "gasket" will help, and you will still have some breathing room...Ps. if you have a lead / acid batt. you definitaly need to keep it vented. I have been using an Interstate gell batt. for about 7 months now and like it so far. $45.00

There are already two small holes (4 mm in diameter), but they did not drain the water away. Probably because the jack and CDI blocked them sufficiently not allowing the water to flow out.

OEM battery both on Agility and P250S are solid-state (gel), not acid type... strangely, they have a cap on the top, as if there is something to be poured in... I had gel battery on my Kawasaki ZR-750S but there was no "lid" on the top side...
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 09:45:24 PM »
You might try opening those holes up a little to release the surface tension of the water. My batt. has the same lid type deal. I think they are using old style cases to save a few $. Hows the weather? Sunny, and mid 70s in N. FLA
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 10:49:59 PM »
I am missing the battery cover/ door on my zx50 so my battery is always exposed to the rain.  I have a sealed battery and haven't had any ill effects.  It has cut off and on while running in a real hard rain a few times, but not in quite awhile.  I think that is more related to water getting in the stator though!  I have the same deal on my Vento scoot, with the battery in the floor board.  I think there is a drain hole in the bottom cause I know it gets water in there, but it doesn't seem to collect.  I haven't had it long and haven't really had it running yet though, it just sits outside.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 11:03:12 PM »
I do not worry about battery.

There are also other wires there, CDI with its connector and two fuses that should not be in the water...
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
You're right, probably shouldn't be sitting in water.  However, on my zx50 the battery, fuses, and cdi are always getting wetwith no ill effects, but they are not submerged.  I would probably just drill some more drain holes.  I don't know that it would be a good idea to seal all of that electrical stuff up air tight.  I think it is probably better for it to breath and get wet (not submerged), than to be all sealed up.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()