Author Topic: Performance coil  (Read 5582 times)

flextrainer

• View Profile
Performance coil
« on: October 27, 2009, 12:45:18 AM »
I know this is probably a stupid question, but I just don't know (this is my first Kymco). I had a scooter that blew up that I had to hope to use as a parts scooter for my new Kymco. From what I've read the CDI is different than my other scoot though the plugs look the same. My question is can I use the high performance coil even though I probably can't use the high performance CDI? Or can I use the CDI too? Both are brand new,because I found out that the scoot was blew up after I ordered them.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Performance coil
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 01:08:12 AM »
What is the "other scooter", and which Kymco? Also to make it easier are they both 2 stroke, or 4stk? These scoots. are pretty generic by nature of cost effective design.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

flextrainer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 06:03:46 PM »
Sorry, the blew up was a baja and the new one is an agility 50. Both are 4 stroke. Also the plug on the Kymco has a 4 prong and a 2 prong. The 4 has a green a blue/yellow and a black yellow wire and the 2 prong has a black/blue wire if this helps. The CDIs look different, but the plugs are the same, but I have heard that some of the Kymcos are a DC Pulse system. I gotta get this thing up to speed because my car is out of commission now and I drive it to work. I have already derestricted the boss drive, the carb has an 86 main, and I derestricted the CDI, but I am still only getting to about 37. The CDI and coil I want to use are high performance and the CDI has a modified ignition curve with no rev limit. Thanks for your help, you've been very helpful with all of my questions.

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:13:04 PM »
If you want to go much past 37 mph you had better go to a larger than 50cc scooter . Good luck .

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 09:22:36 PM »
To my knowledge about all of the ignition coils are the same.  I don't know what type of advantage it will give you over the stock one though.  As for the CDI, I say plug it in and see if she goes!  I doubt it would really do any damage if they were different.  It will either work, or it won't.  Good luck!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 10:52:40 AM »
If you want to go much past 37 mph you had better go to a larger than 50cc scooter . Good luck .

..I run 37 uphill...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 10:56:38 AM »
Sorry, the blew up was a baja and the new one is an agility 50. Both are 4 stroke. Also the plug on the Kymco has a 4 prong and a 2 prong. The 4 has a green a blue/yellow and a black yellow wire and the 2 prong has a black/blue wire if this helps. The CDIs look different, but the plugs are the same, but I have heard that some of the Kymcos are a DC Pulse system. I gotta get this thing up to speed because my car is out of commission now and I drive it to work. I have already derestricted the boss drive, the carb has an 86 main, and I derestricted the CDI, but I am still only getting to about 37. The CDI and coil I want to use are high performance and the CDI has a modified ignition curve with no rev limit. Thanks for your help, you've been very helpful with all of my questions.

..your next step to get you up to speed might be a variator replacement...

..I would suggest the Malossi Multivar, as it's what I have, with 5.5 gram rollers and the white main clutch spring..

..my A50 will run 50+ mph downhill, GPS verified..

..also, you want to make sure your valve clearance is correct..should be .04mm ..gotta keep those adjusted on these 50 4ts...

..verify that your tire pressures are good, as that will also make a difference..

peace
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 02:14:42 PM by wordslinger »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 07:20:01 PM »
With de-restricted cdi you already have installed, and the drive boss done I believe you should be doing better than 37. As slinger suggested, Check your valve adjustment, and before you do that do a compression test. The Modified ign. curve on the other cdi may NOT match your scoots. requirements, so I would be careful about using it. I have a SUTAI programed cdi on a 2t. that gave me another 2-3 mph, but it was programed for the scoot. Check your belt width, your roller weight, and your compression/ valve specs., and I would bet you will find another 5-7 mph hiding in there. Good luck, and post back!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 01:12:44 PM »
A vacuum gauge will give you a lot of info. Test with the engine warmed up to normal operating temps:
# gauge reading steady 17-22 in Hg indicates normal engine in good condition.
# gauge reading low (15-20 in Hg) but steady indicates late ignition or valve timing, low compression, stuck throttle valve, leaking carburetor or manifold gasket.
# gauge reading steady but dropping regularly indicates burnt valve or improper valve clearance.
# gauge reading dropping gradually at idle indicates choked muffler or obstruction in exhaust.
# gauge reading slowly dropping to zero as engine speeds up indicates choked muffler.
# gauge reading fluctuating between 15 and 20 in Hg at idle indicates stuck valve or ignition miss.
# gauge reading drifting indicates improper carburetor adjustment or minor intake leak at carburetor or manifold.
# gauge reading fluctuating as engine speed increases indicates weak valve springs, worn valve stem guides.
# gauge reading vibrating excessively at idle but steady as engine speeds up indicates worn valve guides.
# gauge reading vibrating excessively at all speeds indicates leaky cylinder head gasket.
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 04:26:12 PM »
I always had a dash mounted vacuum gauge in my old school hot rods. '70 440 'cuda- '67 400 firebird-'78 ws/6 trans am. It didn't occur to me to carry the idea to a smaller engine. That is an excellent trouble shooting guide!!!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 06:24:29 PM »
I always had a dash mounted vacuum gauge in my old school hot rods. '70 440 'cuda- '67 400 firebird-'78 ws/6 trans am. It didn't occur to me to carry the idea to a smaller engine. That is an excellent trouble shooting guide!!!

..got it copied, printed and inserted into my service manual...

THANX OLDGUY!!

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 09:25:24 PM »
Always a pleasure.  :)  One more hint (Though not particularly useful in the context of scooters.) You can narrow a problem down to a particular cylinder by disconnecting one plug wire at a time.
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 12:17:06 AM »
I would call that a "balance check" on a multi cyl. engine. When I tried it on my scoot it just died, and I saw little birdies flying all around it...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 12:55:49 AM »
Where does the vacuum gauge connect to?  Or rather, where does it read from?

flextrainer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 02:47:41 AM »
Thanks for all the input it was very helpful. the scooter is new,but I checked everything valve clearance, vacuum leaks, I put a Naraku high speed variator with 6.3gr rollers 1,000 RPM clutch spring, 86 main jet, and the exhaust is opened up. It has 716 miles on it ( so it should be broken in) with fresh oil and the carb is adjusted. All of the restrictors stayed on until a little over 500 miles. All of this gets me 40 MPH with poor take off and throttle response, aslo just about stopping on hills. One thing I have noticed is that the carb likes to be adjusted with the air/fuel screw all the way in where most take about 2-2-1/2 turns out. Is this all I should expect? If anyone has any other ideas let me know. I have a 72cc bbk, but I'm gonna wait until I get 1,000 miles on her before I put it on. I'll get a vacuum guage and check all of that out too, I think that will be very helpful, as my last 50 did way better with all of this ( only about 7MPH faster, but way better throttle response, acceleration, and hill climbing). Thanks guys this forum rocks!!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()