Author Topic: What is considered high mileage?  (Read 6145 times)

FosterG

• View Profile
What is considered high mileage?
« on: March 07, 2015, 05:55:35 PM »
I'm looking to buy a 2007 Kymco People 150 with 25,000K (15,534 miles).  The selling price is $1000.00.  I believe there may be a little flexibility in the price.  My concern is do I want to own a scoot with 15,000 miles on it, regardless of the price paid.  Is that just too many miles with not much life left?   From what I understand all maintenance has been preformed at regular intervals and service records will be provided. (Original rear tire and drive belt).  I am not that familiar with the Kymco brand and the longevity of the motor components.    Thanks!

2wheelfun

• View Profile
Re: What is considered high mileage?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 11:37:14 PM »
I'd do some checking on that scoot. I did some research and the reviews are mixed. Seems the biggest positive was the 16in wheels. Performance was average, the real problem was with the geometry of the bike. A lot of reviews say it is a terrible riding scoot. Search for yourself. Good luck.

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 05:30:52 AM »
I have a 2005 P150 with about 26000 k on it and it still runs great.  Still has the original drive belt but I replaced the tires last year.  I feel it has a lot of miles left on it.  If regular maintenance was performed on the scoot you are looking at, it could be a winner!

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 04:50:11 PM »
price seems high for the high mileage, don't know where you are, but there are a fair amount of these out there with low mileage for about the same $'s, these are great scooters, I have People 50 and Super 8 150, love them, if runs well I would buy but for less than $1000
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

andrey64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 12:05:19 PM »
I purchased my 2002 People 150 for $800 (single owner and trustworthy). They obviously were asking a lot more, but negotiated on price because of the age of the moped, even though the thing was just stored in a garage for a long time and not used.

I say anything under 15k miles would be better to look for since the prices for 8-12k is very similar to the $1000 price tag.

Let us know what you ended up doing!
2002 Kymco People 150 - All stock
5,XXX miles!

FosterG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 06:46:38 PM »
So I picked up the People 150 I referenced above. I paid $900, which was a little generous, but it wasn't a shady craigslist deal as the seller was a coworkers family member.  Its a one owner (adult), with pretty good maintenance records, both keys and the key code too.  Was used as a daily commuter.  Body was covered with stickers but no broken body parts. Lens cover wouldn't stay on left turn signal and digital clock doesn't work.

What I have done: Removed all the stickers using a plastic scraper and WD40. Fixed turn signal lens.  Drilled small vent hole in fuel cap.   Changed engine oil and gear oil. New spark plug and air filter.  I adjusted valves, but they were pretty much perfect.  I tweaked one just a hair since I had it apart. 

What the shop has done: two new Shinko tires, new factory drive belt and a flush of the brake fluid. New Dr. Pulley rollers.  Cleaned, adjusted, center stand so it would retract all the way.  (I wasn't going to pay shop labor to replace clock battery.)

So far I am extremely happy with the Kymco brand.  I have owned two Chinese scoots, one of which I still have.  Good bikes to tinker with and I have self taught myself how to work on them.   I also own a Yamaha Morphous for my long road trips.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 07:53:12 PM by FosterG »

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 07:38:04 PM »
Even at 900.00 you did ok.
Enjoy the ride !

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 09:38:27 PM »
I prefer a 15k with complete service history well treated perfectlly running scoot rather than 2k neglected uncared an un maintained one... If you like the scoot enojy it

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 11:33:27 AM »
Enjoy your scooter ;D ;D ;D
ALL STOCK

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()