Author Topic: H I G H Visibility  (Read 5148 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
H I G H Visibility
« on: March 23, 2015, 07:51:52 PM »
I have a new black riding jacket which I like - but being a big believer in Hi-Viz riding gear I had to find a Hi-Viz vest to wear over it. (ICON does make a Hi-Viz yellow leather jacket- just not in my size - so had to go with the black)
Bought an ICON Hi-Viz vest - but did not like: the fit, the $60 price, all the black areas on it, the useless-for-a-civilian black pockets, the mini bungie chord sides with no Hi-Viz, the non breathing panels, etc.
Returned it and went shopping local - in a discount sports store I found a super bright and light weight (breathable) material & with lots of 2" reflective panels. This vest easily fits over my black jacket. Made by Berne, $11. It includes full areas of bright material and bold reflective strips under the arms - which makes you very visible with your arms up in the riding posititon....something the $60 "motorcycle" Icon vest lacks.

I am not crazy about the 'look' of a vest over a black leather jacket......but, as my wife said, I look like a policeman.
(bought my son the Hi-Viz yellow leather Icon for his new Honda CB500X. The salesladies at my dealer said that no one makes a 100% hi viz leather jacket. I told them to check out the Icon Sanctuary jackets, at Revzilla. I would love to be wearing that thing.)
These bike riding policemen from around the world know something......

And check this out......
"POLITE" , (Politie is the name of the 'Police' in Holland and the Brits use those check squares on their police vehicles......But it catches the full attention of motorists - which is the point!! Legal to wear in the UK)
http://www.highvisibility.uk.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=75&product_id=81

And my new BERNE vest......
In the light...

And, lastly - notice the white helmets. If you can't get a Hi Viz yellow helmet - the white is easily the next most 'visible' .

Stig

oh yeah, then there's these guys...getting attention for other reasons...
And the Germans again after a couple of cold ones.....
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 08:08:06 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: H I G H Visiibility
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 08:01:25 PM »
Hi Viz is great - but obviously does not protect you from all the idiots in cars out there. Today, coming home from work, this guy had no trouble seeing me there in the curb lane - as he had been following me for 2 miles....until he passed me in my lane on an uncrowded 4 lane blvd.
Had this happen twice in the past few weeks. Both times it was old people driving.
And last week had a lady move to pass me on the right, on a two lane city street.
I was going slightly above the speed limit each time - because these stupid Americans think those are the speed minimums posted on the signs.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

GLV55

• View Profile
Re: H I G H Visiibility
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 04:46:12 AM »
Hi Viz is great - but obviously does not protect you from all the idiots in cars out there... Both times it was old people driving.... because these stupid Americans think those are the speed minimums posted on the signs.
Stig
You nailed 2 of the big problems I have had lately, older people who should not be driving, and the cagers with their speed minimum attitudes. People can be such idiots...glad to hear you escaped unscathed.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Chris0381

• View Profile
Re: H I G H Visibility
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 11:36:58 AM »
Im into the high vis crowd and in my small town, I think I stand out as one of the only scooter riders that wears neon and a helmet. Heck some don't even wear eye protection. If I do get hit and survive and its not my fault, the driver of the other vehicle will have difficulty saying they didn't see me.

Last year on Main ST in a 30 MPH zone, I had a girl tailgating me (I was doing 35-40). Some people just dont want a 50 cc scooter with no plate in front of them. It may be an ego thing. Well as I kept an eye on her in the rear view mirror, I realized she was on my tail recording me with her cellphone.

I can't figure why, maybe she thought I was illegally on the road with no plates.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 07:45:52 PM »
Chris she might have been trying to corner ya and ask for your ph#. Was she hot? Over 19 of course.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 07:59:36 PM »
One more thing - the info with my cheap Berne Hi-Viz vest noted that it will lose its brightness over time and exposure to sunlight. For 11 bucks I'll just buy another.

I had 3 Darrel's in a rust red F-150 honk at me today as I sat at a light....so, it's working.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 11:02:23 PM »
Great pics they tell the story.

I've been HI-Vis since I sold the HOG years ago. Even in all Hivis yellow and on a yellow trike I got hit a year ago. She said she didn't see me , surprise.

That led me to think, always a danger, has hivis yellow been "watered down" by all those wearing it now. Of course construction workers but  bicycles , joggers, moms pushing baby strollers etc. a lot of yellow out there.

I love the checkerboard patterns etal. Really "pops" when it catches the eye.
Again great shots.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 11:51:21 PM »
On 2 wheels we decide our fate, it can happen any ride.

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 12:20:31 PM »
Chris she might have been trying to corner ya and ask for your ph#. Was she hot? Over 19 of course.

She looked like a dizzy blonde. Then again, I like dizzy blondes. Man did I ever screw up!!!!!
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 12:22:21 PM »
One more thing - the info with my cheap Berne Hi-Viz vest noted that it will lose its brightness over time and exposure to sunlight. For 11 bucks I'll just buy another.

I had 3 Darrel's in a rust red F-150 honk at me today as I sat at a light....so, it's working.
Stig

Thats good too hear. Also walmart has neon sweaters on clearance for $4 where I live. Got 2 of them so far.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:02:50 AM by Chris0381 »
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet

AMAC1680

• View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 12:34:10 AM »
Thats good too hear. Also walmart has neoprene sweaters on clearance for $4 where I live. Got 2 of them so far.

Cool. Just remember the HiVis is fine for being noticed. But if they don't you need some armor under those shirts. Skin makes a crappy brake pad.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 11:05:35 AM »
Cool. Just remember the HiVis is fine for being noticed. But if they don't you need some armor under those shirts. Skin makes a crappy brake pad.

Be Big,
AMAC

AMAC What would be your pleasure cruise attire for a 98% F day with awful humidity?
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 01:28:31 PM »
Can you see me?  You better...Reflective tape from Findtape.com.  Have several Lime and Orange Jackets,  both Windbreakers and Lined plus Lime Armored.  Brake Lights blink (CARCHET Flash Strobe $7.00) when stopping.  Air Horn,  Hopkins Deer Alert and LEDs on front.  This is Xciting 250 and also have a Grandvista.  Oh yeah...Yellow Helmets.  At stop lights cars behind me tend to stay back one or more car lengths.

AMAC1680

• View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 02:04:43 PM »
AMAC What would be your pleasure cruise attire for a 98% F day with awful humidity?

That would be 8 months of the year here.

In the soup I either makes some compromises or bake. I have everything from Bohn Armor I use as shells under a light jacket, comprimise, to firstgear and bilt mesh armor jackets. Kevlar jeans or armor mesh pants.

Bottom line it's hot when I'm stopped but I've ridden to the keys in July and it wasn't that bad.

Be Big,
AMAC

www.SEGS4VETS.org
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

AMAC1680

• View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 02:05:37 PM »
Can you see me?  You better...Reflective tape from Findtape.com.  Have several Lime and Orange Jackets,  both Windbreakers and Lined plus Lime Armored.  Brake Lights blink (CARCHET Flash Strobe $7.00) when stopping.  Air Horn,  Hopkins Deer Alert and LEDs on front.  This is Xciting 250 and also have a Grandvista.  Oh yeah...Yellow Helmets.  At stop lights cars behind me tend to stay back one or more car lengths.

Very nice.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()