Author Topic: My KYMCO Venox review  (Read 26518 times)

adri

• View Profile
    • Motorcycle News, Reviews, Events, Roads, and Rides
My KYMCO Venox review
« on: December 06, 2009, 11:47:21 PM »
Hey everyone,

After putting about 10,000 KM on the Venox, I've decided it's time I wrote up a review.

Here's a quick summary:

Performance: Excellence, likely the best 250cc cruiser available in the Canadian market. Definitely beats out the 250cc bikes from the japanese big 4.

Ergonomics: Bigger size, seat, and weight are all a plus. The brakes can handle it, although emergency breaking with a passenger can get a little scary (it's a shame there's no rear disk brake, just a drum).

Problems: Only had one small problem, a fork seal, that was replaced and I was in and out in the same day.

Looks: A+. At rallies and bike meets, my Venox gets more attention than bikes 4x as expensive (added bonus: this pisses off quite a few rich weekend warriors haha).

Please check out the full KYMCO Venox Review. If that link doesn't work just click http://ourlittleadventures.com/KYMCO-Venox-10000-km-review.html

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
Re: My KYMCO Venox review
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 04:38:30 PM »
Excellent review. I agree -- the motorcycle rags that test-ride a bike on an afternoon and then review it are pretty much just a paid advertisement. Your "lived-in" review has actual value to those shopping for a bike.

adri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 04:57:30 PM »
Thanks!

I saw ya on fuelly and checked out the link to your blog. Excellent stuff man!
People 250 hey? Nice. I took the People 50, 125, and 200 out. The 200 was nice, but the extra 50cc must be a big step up.  (the 250 isn't available in Canada, and like you we're wondering about some of the models like the 300)

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 08:45:54 PM »
I once test-rode a PS200, but not at highway speeds (it was the dealer's, and new, not broken in). I can't recall, but I think like most other "200" scooters, this one is quite a few ccs shy of 200cc (like, maybe 172cc?).

Thanks for checkin' out the blog... I should have some more Christmas lights photos up in a few days.  :)

Travixius

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 01:02:43 AM »
I just bought my Venox here in Australia 3 weeks ago and it started gushing fork oil all over my driveway. I am now waiting for a seal coming from god knows where (over Christmas could be a wait) Has anyone else had this problem ?.The mechanic at the dealer told me he's never replaced a fork seal before which just filled me with confidence. Will have to wait and see reliability of bike from now on. Not impressed with this at all. Bike is off the road after only 170kms.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 03:40:02 AM »
Fork seals very rarely go bad. There are really only three likely suspects. First I would think a defective seal, which should have been caught by the person installing it at the factory, which is also the second suspect, a hung over about to be fired assembler who just didn't care, and third too much oil in the shock. A fair sized bump or pot hole can generate enough pressure inside an over filled shock to "blow " the seal. In any event it is a very rare occurrence.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

adri

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 06:47:42 AM »
I just bought my Venox here in Australia 3 weeks ago and it started gushing fork oil all over my driveway. I am now waiting for a seal coming from god knows where (over Christmas could be a wait) Has anyone else had this problem ?.The mechanic at the dealer told me he's never replaced a fork seal before which just filled me with confidence. Will have to wait and see reliability of bike from now on. Not impressed with this at all. Bike is off the road after only 170kms.

Be sure to check out my review. I mention my fork seal issue. It was cover under warranty without any fuss and I was in and out in the same day.

PIWYRCOM

• View Profile
    • ADMIN/SITE BUILDER
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 01:52:34 PM »
I have two venoxes, one since 2004 the other since 2006. Between the two have 100,000 plus miles with out any issues.
Sounds like a factory installed issue and should be warranty covered.

The front fork like many of the parts is not a new product as it shares the same parts as the Honda Magna 250 / VT250c which has been on the road since the early 90's.
http://piwyr.co.cc
Collecting Kymco Venox information since 2006

Travixius

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 07:33:00 AM »
I am now entering my 4th week without my Venox due to the faulty fork seal. I do blame Kymco for the defect however the wait for both the part (which my retailer ordered incorrectly and got the capping instead) and for the mechanic to become available for the job has been excruciating. To be honest I am furious. Also I have messaged KYMCO in Taiwan from their website with some enquiries no less than 4 times and they just don't reply. This just would point blank not happen if I bought a Honda or Suzuki and am now having serious misgivings about the Venox. I know it has the potential to be a great bike but I have only had the bike for 2 weeks out of 7 that I have owned it. Living in a backwater like Adelaide doesn't help either as getting a capable and motivated mechanic can be very difficult indeed.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 12:47:04 AM »
That is my PET PEEVE. Kymco, more than any other brand I have dealt with has terrible customer support. Starting from the Importer down. I WILL NOT give ANY business to the dealer in my area. They sell scooters they no NOTHING about, and have high school kids working as mechanics, when they finish their homework. The last part I had the dealer order, was wrong TWICE! I got on the phone with the HEAD of Kymco usa, and was told my '04 superfever is either Canadian, or Mexican??????.(because it was painted factory lime green) The VIN proved otherwise. I am leaving all names out to protect the guilty. If I did not have the tools, training, and time I would not own a Kymco. While Kymco is a very well built machine, their support SUCKS! Perhaps a re-hab of U.S. dealers is in order. School for ALL involved at EVERY dealer is first Priority. I understand your frustration.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

topaz6turbo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 08:15:51 AM »
Trav, Have you spoken to Kymco in Melbourne? If not give them a call (look up there number on the net) and ask to speak with Malcolm Price. Tell him I sent you, and I am sure he will do all he can to get you going again asap. I have dealt with him a few times and have found him to be faultless, and very prompt at getting anything done for me, and Im 300km away!
Andrew Holt
Warrnambool

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 08:53:26 AM »
That is my PET PEEVE. Kymco, more than any other brand I have dealt with has terrible customer support. Starting from the Importer down. I WILL NOT give ANY business to the dealer in my area. They sell scooters they no NOTHING about, and have high school kids working as mechanics, when they finish their homework. The last part I had the dealer order, was wrong TWICE! I got on the phone with the HEAD of Kymco usa, and was told my '04 superfever is either Canadian, or Mexican??????.(because it was painted factory lime green) The VIN proved otherwise. I am leaving all names out to protect the guilty. If I did not have the tools, training, and time I would not own a Kymco. While Kymco is a very well built machine, their support SUCKS! Perhaps a re-hab of U.S. dealers is in order. School for ALL involved at EVERY dealer is first Priority. I understand your frustration.

The same story is pretty much with ANY car or motorcycle brand I've ever owned.
Everything is OK as long as there are no problems.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Travixius

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 09:06:39 AM »
Trav, Have you spoken to Kymco in Melbourne? If not give them a call (look up there number on the net) and ask to speak with Malcolm Price. Tell him I sent you, and I am sure he will do all he can to get you going again asap. I have dealt with him a few times and have found him to be faultless, and very prompt at getting anything done for me, and Im 300km away!
Andrew Holt
Warrnambool
Thanks for your input, great to have support at least from fellow owners.
I have actually been corresponding with Malcolm through email and it seems he must be out of the office a lot because it takes a week to get an answer. If I get time at work I'll try phoning but ultimately the buck stops with the manufacturer KYMCO and whether the retailer has a proficient  mechanic available all the time, not just occasionally. From what I read in posts and blogs this fork seal issue is prevalent in Venox so why is Kymco not addressing it. Have now emailed KYMCO in Taiwan 4 times about different issues through their global site with no response over a 4 week period.  Venox a great bike but Kymco's after sales service is the most appauling I have ever experienced for any product ever.       

adri

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 06:55:49 PM »
Yikes, I've had no problems with KYMCO Canada in terms of service.

When I needed to get a seal replaced they told me to wait a couple days before bringing it in (my bike was still rideable). When I came in they had me in and out in the same day as they usually do.

I could try to ship you the fork seals at whatever the cost is for the seals + shipping... but it might take three weeks to arrive from Canada :\

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 02:22:19 PM »
Unfortunately, here in the U.S. we don't get the Venox anymore. :(
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()