Author Topic: Electrical problems with my GV 250  (Read 15336 times)

Al Grande

• View Profile
Electrical problems with my GV 250
« on: July 04, 2010, 10:38:28 PM »
 >:( It all started on the last week of April. I was ready to leave my Doctor's office. I started up my GV and I heard a whirling sound I never heard before. I pressed the kill switch and the starter stayed on trying to turn the engine on. I rode it to my Kymco dealer. They took a full day to diagnose the problem. They said that the starter stayed on due to a low battery. That didn't make sense to me. He explained that when the battery gets low, it will short out causing the starter to stay on. They changed the battery and replaced the starter solenoid.

5 weeks later, it happened again. After starting the engine, the starter solenoid stayed on. I rode it to my dealer. They checked it out and 2 days later told me that they believed that the stator isn't providing enough voltage to charge the system. So, the battery got low, causing it to short out (their words not mine), which caused my starter to stay on. So, they kept my scooter for 2 weeks as they waited for a new stator, starter solenoid, voltage regulator.

Well, last Friday, 7/2/2010, my scooter was ready. They said the new stator is producing 13.7 volts and is charging the system. And, all this was covered by the warranty. So, my costs was $0.00 for $1,000 of work. Great! I got my scooter back after 2 weeks of walking and riding the damn bus to work and my medical appointments. Everything is great, the scooter is riding smooth.

Today, Sunday 7/4/2010, 2 days after I got my scoot back, the same problem!!! The starter is staying on. I don't know what's going on. Monday, I'm taking back to the dealer for more repair.
Has this problem happened to any of you guys?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Electrical problems with my GV 250
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 11:13:32 PM »
...i've never heard of this before, but let's break it down...

..it's a re-occurring problem, that your dealer is taking stabs at trying to fix, while suckin' up warranty money...

..with that being said, i would first look at the contacts in the starter button...

..maybe spray some plastic grade electrical contact cleaner up into the housing around the button...

..can't hurt anything in doing so...

..something is keeping your engine's "start" circuit closed...that circuit shouild "open" when you release the starter button...

..the mechanical pushbutton would be the most likely cause...

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Al Grande

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 01:43:14 AM »
Thanks Wordslinger,

I never thought of my dealer as "sucking up" warranty money. But, you know, you may be correct. The 2nd time I brought my GV in, they did tell me that they performed over $1,000 of service trying to locate the problem, which they will charge to Kymco USA as a warranty claim. I don't want to think of my local Kymco dealer as crooked as that, but times are tough. They have no sales of any scooters due to the recession. Maybe, they are "sucking up" the warranty money.

They are such nice people there too.
 :o

Al Grande

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 02:11:34 AM »
Also, all this began after 13 months I've be been riding my GV 250 without any serious problems. Up to 9,000 miles, then this problem with the starter and stator.

The 2 things I didn't like about my GV is that it really didn't get real good mpgs in the city. 37-49 mpg was my city driving range. When I rode my GV from Sacramento to Stockton, on a county road, I only got it up to 69 mph and 54 mpg. I couldn't go any faster than that. All those GV owners who brag about getting 75 mph on their scoots, are you sure you're really travelling 75 mph? Kymco's speedometers are notoriously optimistic, about 20 % or more.

I don't want to sound like a cry baby, but for me Kymco isn't a fantastic brand. Good engines, yes they are. But due to this re-occurring electrical problem I'm having, I'm never going to buy another Kymco. Once, they fix my scoot, I'm selling it or trading it in for another brand. I'm leaning towards SYM. Many scooterists here in Sacramento, ride either SYM, Honda, Vespa or any Piaggio, Genuine Buddy, yamaha or Suzuki. They also, use to ride Kymco until problems occurred.  They then switched brands.

If anyone else feels the same about their Kymcos, let me know. I don't think I'm the only one going through this.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 08:57:28 AM »
It might be worth trying a new relay, it may not be the problem but inexpensive, and it just might be where the trouble is.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 01:38:18 PM »
I never thought of my dealer as "sucking up" warranty money

..i'm not saying itsa "bad" thing..

..they may genuinely not know where the problem is..

..from what you say they have replaced, i think that's likely...

..i wouldn't have started where they did...

Al Grande

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 04:14:28 PM »
Update, today, 7/5/2010, my GV is starting normally. This is weird!

Yesterday, the starter stayed stuck on the "ON" position. Rode home, disconnected the battery before it drained of all power and before the starter burned itself out.

This morning, I was planning to ride my GV back to the dealer. I reconnected the battery. Usually, if the starter is stuck, once the battery is reconnected, it begins turning the engine over. Well, this morning, that didn't happen. The normal Met-in light came on, but no engine turning over. So, I turned the key to the start position and pressed the start button. The engine started normally. Confused, I hit the Kill switch and the engine stopped normally. So, I re-started the engine, and it started normally! Again, weird. So, I gave it a ride around my neighborhood returned home, pressed the Kill switch, the engine shut-off normally. Restarted, my GV started normally.  ???

Don't know if it really was the starter solenoid like the dealer said or was it a stuck starter button?

Anyway, I still have no confidence in my GV. I'll ride it when I have to, but I'll rely on the bus to get to work. I'll keep socking away money to buy a new scooter. Mostly likely, a SYM HD 200. I heard a lot of good things about this scooter, and right now SYM has slashed their prices by 10%.

I would like to thank all of you for your comments.  
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 02:39:58 AM by Al Grande »

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
Quite understandable, is hard to trust a machine when it has been unreliable. Good luck with your new scoot.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 11:57:12 AM »
Update, today, 2/5/2010, my GV is starting normally. This is weird!

Yesterday, the starter stayed stuck on the "ON" position. Rode home, disconnected the battery before it drained of all power and before the starter burned itself out.

This morning, I was planning to ride my GV back to the dealer. I reconnected the battery. Usually, if the starter is stuck, once the battery is reconnected, it begins turning the engine over. Well, this morning, that didn't happen. The normal Met-in light came on, but no engine turning over. So, I turned the key to the start position and pressed the start button. The engine started normally. Confused, I hit the Kill switch and the engine stopped normally. So, I re-started the engine, and it started normally! Again, weird. So, I gave it a ride around my neighborhood returned home, pressed the Kill switch, the engine shut-off normally. Restarted, my GV started normally.  ???

Don't know if it really was the starter solenoid like the dealer said or was it a stuck starter button?

Anyway, I still have no confidence in my GV. I'll ride it when I have to, but I'll rely on the bus to get to work. I'll keep socking away money to buy a new scooter. Mostly likely, a SYM HD 200. I heard a lot of good things about this scooter, and right now SYM has slashed their prices by 10%.

I would like to thank all of you for your comments.  

To me this looks like a complete banal thing that should be quiet trivial to fix.
It can be either solenoid, bendix that gets stuck or, even worse, stupid starter button getting stuck.

I would take this into my own hands, at least the button part. Disconnect the button and connect a simple ON/OFF switch you can buy in Radio Shack or wherever you buy those things. If you use it for a while and there are no problems, it is probably solenoid or bendix that have to be replaced.

Like I said, it is no reason for scoot replacement but can be a source of disappointment, a lot of nervousness etc.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

patsy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 11:11:37 PM »
I have a 2008 and it happened to me also.  The first time was June 4, 2010.  Mechanic said it was a starter relay switch.  Paid a couple hundred dollars to get it fixed.  2 weeks later same thing happened.  Took it back to the mechanic and today is July 8 still no word from the mechanic other than waiting for a part.......not too happy with scoot or mechanic.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 11:32:24 PM »
....wwowww..

...hate to hear those stories, but they are sso familiar...

..we've all felt th' pain...

..i'm still putting my money on the starter pushbutton or contacts...

..it's exposed to atmosphere, subjected to manual depression time and time again...

..or at least mine is, as i ride every day...lol...

..the scoot is a good one, most likely..

..a lot of shops have people that are still learning..

..mention this forum the next time you talk to them, and even give them the url to your post...

..it may be that together, we all can figure this out...

...and, Welcome to th' Forum!!

peace

rbalagtas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 12:50:16 AM »
Problem is on the "Starter Relay". replace it with a good one

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 01:04:10 AM »
...sweet...

patsy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 10:46:11 PM »
Yes the mechanic replaced the starter relay the first time.  Why would it happen again?  That is the question.  I wonder how many other GV's this has happened to?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 10:54:14 PM »
..well, it shouldn't keep happening...unless there is another problem...

..could be nothing more than a wire with the insulation rubbed off of it...

..the pushbutton's "contacts", when depressed, create a circuit for electricity to flow to the starter relay...energizing the relay's coil...

..the coil closes a set of contacts that allows a greater flow of electricity to flow thru, to the starter motor...

..either the relay's contacts are sticking, or the pushbutton's contacts are sticking, thus keeping the relay energized...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()