Author Topic: Opened CVT for service & Dr Pulley's ~ LIKE200i  (Read 2767 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Opened CVT for service & Dr Pulley's ~ LIKE200i
« on: May 14, 2018, 04:47:35 PM »
I put in a set of 18x14x14gram set of Dr Pulley sliders and slide pieces and a new OEM Kymco belt cover gasket this morning.
Took photos along the way.
I did not need a breaker bar to loosen the 2 big nuts....(from the factory - I found the variator nut to be easier to remove than the clutch nut - in spite of the torque specifications - perhaps that was because they oiled the variator nut/threads as stipulated in the cyclepedia manual?)
 Removed 3 screws near the front of the lower side panel - one holds the panel the other 2 help give space to remove the belt cover.

Removed 2 screws and a 10mm bolt at rear of same panel.

Slide panel slightly to the rear and remove.

Unscrew these 2 bolts on airfilter - then lift a bit and tie out of the way.

Remove all 8 of the 8mm bolts holding the CVT belt cover.

Remove belt cover with vent hose attached. (tap with a block of wood, pry gently in several areas, I inserted a putty knife into the seam and pried on that. Do not beat on the metal cover - it can break. Take your time - it will come off! I then cleaned the old gasket off - used sheets of sandpaper to finish it up.))

Here's what you will find with the cover off.

Using the holding tool (eBay, amazon, etc.) to remove the variator nut.

Remove the clutch nut.

Apply thin coat of 3M Gasket Adhesive to gasket and scooter. Let dry then attach gasket to scooter. Holds very well! I used a thin coat of Super Lube on the edge of belt cover - hoping it will not stick to gasket next time.

Weights are in back piece of variator pulley - new Dr Pulley sliders and 3 slide pieces installed here.
When you slide this part on the scooter - you MUST hold the assembly together so the weights cannot move into a wrong postition inside the variator

Lightly sandpaper the faces of the 3 clutch pads to remove any glaze - and clean the corresponding area in the clutch bell with a green scrubby.

Spread pulleys in the clutch by sqeezing them open - orient belt correctly - insert in clutch - slip assembly onto the shaft with enough slack for belt to fit over the other shaft.

Slide on variator half with weights inside. The belt is between the 2 pulley halves . Make certain belt is loose, can move and is not being pinched by the pulley halves when being bolted down. Squeeze the clutch pulleys to get more slack in belt if you need to. Belt MUST move freely and not be pinched down in the valley of the pulleys. Your nut can come loose while riding if this is not assembled correctly! Watch a few youtube videos to see more details.

Using the holding tool, cyclepedia says to add a drop of oil to the threads and torque the Variator Nut to 70 ft pounds and the Clutch Nut (no oil) to 40 ft pounds. I use blue locktite on both.

Replace cover with breather hose. Gentle with the 2 locating pins. 8 screws hold the cover - now the 2 bolts holding the airfilter. Replace the lower body panel. I tied up the airfilter making it easier both in removal and replacing the belt cover.

Tools I purchased for this service.

Tools I used for this service.

Stig
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 09:19:55 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Dr Pulley install on LIKE200i
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 07:12:46 PM »
That's a fantastic guide! Thankyou
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Gnzbrg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 09:07:56 PM »
Great post, good pics too.  Couldn't help but notice the sprocket washer that goes onto the spline after the variator.  Ghost of kick starters past?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:12:34 PM by Gnzbrg »
2018 Like 200i
2011 Ruckus
2007 KLR 650
2000 Vulcan 1500Fi
  😎👍

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 02:33:39 AM »
Great post.  Very handy info there Stig.  This thread should be made a sticky.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 04:02:28 AM »
Got it saved in downloads this is the tutorial I used to install my  Dr. Pulleys. I put in 13gms by the way.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 07:27:10 AM »
Great post, good pics too.  Couldn't help but notice the sprocket washer that goes onto the spline after the variator.  Ghost of kick starters past?

I think so. I have a drive belt cover here that has a kick start - at some point I'm going to install it to see what happens!
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Fogie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 09:52:14 AM »
I think so. I have a drive belt cover here that has a kick start - at some point I'm going to install it to see what happens!

I doubt that kickstarting will do much, if you're fuel injected.
2012 Kymco Frost (Yager) 200i - Toronto, Canada

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 12:18:12 PM »
I expect not - the previous FI bike was a sod to start with the kick start and if the battery's dead there's no hope whatsover. It is a good backup to have if the electric starter fails, though.
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 01:23:29 AM »
That's a fantastic guide! Thankyou
Yes, Chris - you'll want to edit your slider install video on youtube before too many more view it.
You have the sliders wrong way 'round. Squeeze the assembly to keep them from flipping.....

Couple of good videos by the folks who make the Dr Pulley sliders:

And :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxcQGmT8EJc

and, important to keep them from flipping when putting the roller weights carrier assembly back on the scooter. Lots of people let them flip during the re-install and then blame the resulting problems on the sliders.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 06:54:35 AM »
Yes, Chris - you'll want to edit your slider install video on youtube before too many more view it.
You have the sliders wrong way 'round. Squeeze the assembly to keep them from flipping.....

Couple of good videos by the folks who make the Dr Pulley sliders:

And :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxcQGmT8EJc

and, important to keep them from flipping when putting the roller weights carrier assembly back on the scooter. Lots of people let them flip during the re-install and then blame the resulting problems on the sliders.

Stig

Yes, I'd been meaning to get it down - back to the office with the proper PC today so down it comes!

I'll re-do the other two associated, in that case...

The irony is that I checked the way the sliders should go round with another Youtube video that I thought was far more professional than mine. It's amazing how misinformation spreads!
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Opened CVT for service & Dr Pulley's ! LIKE200i
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 09:19:22 PM »
Did this DIY a couple of years ago.
Hardest part was getting the belt cover off - and figuring a way to keep the new cover gasket in place during re-install (glued it!)
Glad I saved the pix from going down - will need it the next time I go in there! (some pix servers drop off without notice)
Stig
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 09:23:46 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

big blue

• View Profile
Re: Opened CVT for service & Dr Pulley's ~ LIKE200i
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 10:54:09 PM »
Did this DIY a couple of years ago.
Hardest part was getting the belt cover off - and figuring a way to keep the new cover gasket in place during re-install (glued it!)
Glad I saved the pix from going down - will need it the next time I go in there! (some pix servers drop off without notice)
Stig

Still have those pix in my P/C files and used 'em when I did my belt change and I'll probably use them again thanks Stig. ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 07:55:55 PM »
I simply am unable to find the words for how outstanding this post is! Stig needs to be retained to wr....RE-WRITE all the Kymco shop manuals!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 06:42:42 AM »
If I understand this correctly the cylindrical sliders have been installed to the original Variator pulley which came with round rollers ? If so, I assume there is no need to replace the original pulley when cylindrical sliders get installed ?

The reason for my questions - I did some reading about this subject and according to some comments at the web a slight different pulley needs to be installed when rollers get replaced with sliders. To my understanding the angles at the inside of the pulleys are slightly different.

Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 12:26:41 PM »
If I understand this correctly the cylindrical sliders have been installed to the original Variator pulley which came with round rollers ? If so, I assume there is no need to replace the original pulley when cylindrical sliders get installed ?

The reason for my questions - I did some reading about this subject and according to some comments at the web a slight different pulley needs to be installed when rollers get replaced with sliders. To my understanding the angles at the inside of the pulleys are slightly different.

How Dr Pulley's "slide" weights differ from roller weights:

I think the majority of us, non racers, just want to get on with our scooter riding.
We experiment with a couple of different sets of $24 Dr Pulley slider weights - and then get on the seat.

There are probably "master tinkerers" out there who change all kinds of scooter parts for their various reasons, with all kinds of claimed results.

I figure that the manufacturer got things pretty 'right' in the CVT and the Dr P's give it a pleasant tweek (IF you get the weights right). After that - I button it up and go riding for a few years. No change in any other CVT parts.
Certainly Dr P does not stipulate changing other parts - save for maybe the slide pieces.
Stig
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 12:28:47 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()