Author Topic: 600 Mile Service Parts & Tools - 2018 Xciting 400i ABS - SK80AL-US  (Read 3349 times)

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
Okay everyone! Here is the info on the Kymco Xciting 400i ABS 600 Mile Service. Wrote the Subject Line like that to make it easier to search.  ::)

Interestingly, if you go to the KymcoUSA website, go through "Accessories" and get to the "Parts" section, if you make a "Wish List" it will ask you who your dealer is, and will automatically send it to them via email. I did this, not really knowing what was going to happen, and got an email the next day from the girl at the parts desk at the dealership asking me if I wanted her to order them! I told her yes, so she did, and here's what they cost me:

First, here are the parts needed to complete:

+ Oil Change:
  • 1.3 Liters (1.37 Qt) Castrol Edge 5W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil*
  • 1 – Drain Bolt & Sealing Washer Assembly (PN: 9052A-LEB1-900)
  • 1 – Oil Filter (PN: 1541A-LEH6-E00)
  • 1 – Oil Filter Spring (If needed.) (PN: 15423-KKC3-900)
  • 1 – Oil Filter Cap O-Ring (If needed.) (PN: 91303-LEA7-E00)

The following parts are optional, and only if needed, but should be inspected.

Inspect Oil Strainer Screen and O-Rings and replace (If needed.)
  • 1 – Oil Strainer Screen (PN: 15162-PUA5-E00)
  • 1 – Oil Strainer Screen Cap O-Ring (PN: 91307-PUA5-E00)
  • 2 – Oil Strainer Screen O-Ring (PN: 91306-PUA5-E00)

+ Transmission Fluid Change:
  • 0.20 Liter (6.76 Oz) Castrol Axle 80W-90 Limited Slip Gear Oil*
  • 1 – Transmission Oil Drain Plug Washer (PN: 90474-3C33-001)
  • Air Filter: Check for condition, replace if needed. (PN: 1721A-LKF5-E01)

Crankcase Breather Tube: (Puke Tube!) Check and clean if needed.

The following tools are needed:
  • #2 Phillips Screwdriver
  • 8mm Socket
  • 17mm Socket
  • 24mm Socket
  • Needlenose Pliers
  • Small Funnel
  • 1500ML Maxi Syringe
  • Small Torque Wrench (optional, for those of you who don't use them  ;D )
  • Protective Gloves and Eyewear are recommended.

* If you prefer another brand, be sure to use a fully synthetic quality 4-stroke engine oil to ensure longer service life of the scooter. Only use oils that have a SJ rating above per the API service classification.

Engine oil viscosity: SAE 5W-50

Transmission oil viscosity: SAE 90

The procedures are straightforward, for someone with moderate mechanical skills.

I was going to attach the specific parts of the Service Manual for procedures and how to do it, but I get a "File Too Large" error.  So, I've uploaded them to OneDrive, and they can be found here:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ajl8K-lSeuLUaAFIfilz0LGk-Po

Hope this helps anyone who does their own service!!   8)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 03:31:18 PM by EvilTessmacher »
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 600 Mile Service Parts & Tools - 2018 Xciting 400i ABS - SK80AL-US
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 09:01:43 PM »
Outstanding! You and Stig are nominated to write the Kymco "Americanized" Service Manual! 25+ bucks for an OIL FILTER ELEMENT? Yow!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 12:58:37 AM »
On Fleabay they are a bit cheaper if you can wait a couple weeks for shipping.

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 03:36:51 AM »
On Fleabay they are a bit cheaper if you can wait a couple weeks for shipping.

I don't have enough patience to spend time scrolling through the hundreds of items not for the X400i.

I once went looking for turn signals, and went through 4 pages (200 items per page) looking at turn signals for everything else but the X400i.

Plus, if I get stuff through the dealer, I have just that much more paper trail that I did the service.
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 02:20:19 AM »
Hey ET, I just did my 600 mile oil change. You can use 10w40 for oil(5w50) doesn't really add much. You don't really need to check the air filter at this point. Also the oil cap spring and O-rings will be brand new and will not need to be changed, so save yourself a little money. It purrs like a kitten. This bike is much more comfortable than my 300 gti. The seat is awesome.
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 07:34:32 PM »
Hey ET, I just did my 600 mile oil change. You can use 10w40 for oil(5w50) doesn't really add much. You don't really need to check the air filter at this point. Also the oil cap spring and O-rings will be brand new and will not need to be changed, so save yourself a little money. It purrs like a kitten. This bike is much more comfortable than my 300 gti. The seat is awesome.

Hey, Leo! Thanks for the tip! The retentive part of me is still going with the 5W-50, because that's what the manual specifies. It shows as such on my reciept, and that's a part of the paper trail I have for the records.  But it's nice to know...

---
1982 Honda PA-50

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 10:59:33 AM »
Well, I was supposed to do my 600mi Service this past week, but I got an email from the parts folks at my dealer. Turns out that my oil filter is still in Taiwan. Apparently, no one in the entire US has one of these in stock, and the bike is so new that there are none available anywhere else except at the "home office" so to speak.

So, I'll be waiting until my filter comes in.

On the bright side (see what I did there?) I'm probably going to install some of the new LED driving lights. In which case, I'll write up and post an installation how-to.

Hope everyone's weekend is going well!!

---
1982 Honda PA-50

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 02:14:00 AM »
My apologies. I should have added my info for the oil change to this thread to keep it together.
Instructional Video and helpful (I hope) hints to ease the job.
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=26527.0

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 03:02:39 AM »
Hey, great addition!

I got an email from the parts lady at the dealership today. There's another delay in getting my oil filter, and it should be another 7 to 10 days. They're very sorry, the US distributor is not happy with the Taiwanese Home Office for not having any parts available for US bikes, and they're trying to rectify the situation as soon as possible.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 11:08:20 AM »
Probably not a good idea to go with a HiFlo filter while under warranty, I guess?
Fortunately my new model Piaggio uses common Vespa filters - readily available.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 03:12:56 PM »
Probably not a good idea to go with a HiFlo filter while under warranty, I guess?
<snip>
Stig

Not being snarky, but why?
The reason I ask is because there are 2 shops here that recommend them over OEM and one independent shop that uses them exclusively.
The independent guy is an ex Honda tech that started his own shop and said the HiFlo filters meet or exceed specs and cost less than OEM.
Having said that, I do know that in some places it can make a difference, but in the USA keeping your own records and using after market doesn't void warranty.
As long as you(the consumer) use products that meet required specs.
I do know that you(again, meaning the consumer) can't always trust dealers or their techs, thus my query. I'm open to listen to fact or opinion.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 03:41:14 PM »
Hi-flo impressed me when the Yager was my ride. First oil change pending, I was astounded that ANYONE would ask over 20 bucks for what had to be a very small filter element. With a straight face. In all seriousness. When I got the Hi-flo, I visually inspected both and determined that BOTH were made by the same factory. Been using them ever since. I am NOT paying over 20 bucks for either a car or motorcycle filter element.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 08:32:21 PM »
Wait, what? There's an aftermarket filter that's less expensive, meets or exceeds factory specs, and readily available?

Really?

Where would I find one of these magical contrivances?

---
1982 Honda PA-50

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 09:28:55 PM »
Wait, what? There's an aftermarket filter that's less expensive, meets or exceeds factory specs, and readily available?

Really?

Where would I find one of these magical contrivances?

HiFlo HF568
Here it is on Amazon from a California dealer: https://www.amazon.com/Hi-Flo-HF568-Hiflofiltro-hf568Â-Filter/dp/B01N3SN8EV
But you can search online and find it from several other sources like ebay also. This one is a bit expensive in my opinion, but local suppliers don't stock it yet.
I orders mine from Brooksbarn.com and with shipping they were $1 more than the Amazon seller. Still got them in 1 week because they didn't ship for 2 days after I ordered.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 09:42:11 PM »
Not being snarky, but why?
The reason I ask is because there are 2 shops here that recommend them over OEM and one independent shop that uses them exclusively.
The independent guy is an ex Honda tech that started his own shop and said the HiFlo filters meet or exceed specs and cost less than OEM.
Having said that, I do know that in some places it can make a difference, but in the USA keeping your own records and using after market doesn't void warranty.
As long as you(the consumer) use products that meet required specs.
I do know that you(again, meaning the consumer) can't always trust dealers or their techs, thus my query. I'm open to listen to fact or opinion.
IF my new scooter engine were to suffer ruinous failure while under warranty (for whatever reason) ...and they found a non factory part inside the engine case, I'd figure I'm going to be without my new scooter for quite some time while all parties debated how this did, or did not, affect the engine - and my warranty.

Highly unlikey ? Sure. All these filter papers are probably made in China, or Israel, or ….
Would use of a HiFlo toss your warranty out of the window? Probably not - when all the screaming was done.
It's out there in the yard, somewhere - where it landed.

Most brands of scooters are made to survive darn near anything that can happen to them in a 3rd world country - or in our garages. But I wouldn't want to debate this with the manufacturer.

I've had the experience of losing a scooter for months while the warranty was being debated. Me? I'd stay with genuine  internal engine parts for the duration of the warranty period.

I used HiFlo filters in a Burgman 400 - after the warranty - they were very hard to fit compared to the Suzuki filters. Other Burgman owners figured out how to use $1.99 econo furnace filter bits in their $12,000 Burgmans.

Stig

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:47:06 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()