Author Topic: Stalling  (Read 8297 times)

spooker

• View Profile
Stalling
« on: August 19, 2010, 02:28:33 AM »
So my P S 250 has about 5,000 miles on it, and I've just run into my first problem.  I've noticed for a while that when the bike is warming up, it seems like it has been revving a little low.  Two weeks ago, it actually stalled while it was warming up, after running for about 8 seconds.  In the past week, the problem has gotten worse, and it now sounds like it's going to stall for about a minute when you start it after it's been cold, unless you give it a little gas.  Two nights ago, the bike was cold and I had just pulled away down the block and came to a stop sign; when I stopped at the stop sign I actually stalled.

So, I think it's idling too low and I was planning on adjusting the idle screw on the carburetor a little bit.  This is the first time I've worked on my bike besides basic maintenance, so I wanted to see what you guys thought first.

I don't know if this is related to my first problem, but there's one other strange thing I've always noticed with my bike.  When I ride it for a while, and I stop to go into the store or have a meal or something, and it cools down a bit, and then I go back out and start it up again, the rear wheel sometimes spins when it's still on the center stand and I haven't given it any gas.  Sometimes, it gets going quite fast, and I have to put on the rear brake before I take it off the center stand.  If I let it sit on the center stand long enough, and the let the choke go down, it stops.  I never worried about this too much before.  Should I?  Anyone else experience this?  Thanks!!!

art

• View Profile
Re: Stalling
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 02:52:55 AM »
 I don't have your model but that sounds like air idle screw setting. Should do air filter and carb clean also if you havn't allready. Good luck.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 04:03:08 AM »
When I ride it for a while, and I stop to go into the store or have a meal or something, and it cools down a bit, and then I go back out and start it up again, the rear wheel sometimes spins when it's still on the center stand and I haven't given it any gas.  Sometimes, it gets going quite fast, and I have to put on the rear brake before I take it off the center stand.  If I let it sit on the center stand long enough, and the let the choke go down, it stops.  I never worried about this too much before.  Should I?  Anyone else experience this?

That's relatively normal. Often, the auto-bystarter will cause the engine to rev high enough to engage the clutch (mine (P250) tends to do this more as the weather gets cooler; when it's hot out, not so much).

Your stalling may be due to a small leak in the air intake, but you might first try adjusting the idle slightly higher. Around 1800 rpm is optimal, but 2000 rpm isn't unreasonable. If you have to go above that to keep from stalling, you might want to check for leaks in the air intake. You can do that with a cheap can of starter fluid (ether), spraying in areas around the intake while the engine is idling. Using the tiny straw that comes with the starter fluid, you can pinpoint the general area of a leak. If the engine momentarily races where you spray, you found it!  Tighten/replace the clamp or plug the leak, and hopefully the problem is solved.

spooker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 04:07:08 AM »
Thanks for the quick responses guys.
I just replaced the air filter a few weeks ago.  I'll start by adjusting the idle screw, since I think that's within my meager capabilities, and let you know how it goes.

anhoa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 04:09:43 AM »
Check/adjust the intake and exhaust valves. Adjust your idle higher until the rear wheel moves then turn back a little bit. You have to adjust after you warm up your engine. You might also have gas vapor lock. Also change the spark plug!

http://modvespa.com/how-to-adjust-your-valve-on-kymco-people-250-scooter/

I posted this on scootdawg.com
http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=200cc&action=display&thread=32147
------------------------
Mine stalled many times on the way to work and home couple weeks ago (on highway and local roads). I thought it's "vapor lock". I did a gas cap vent on the Kymco People 250. No stalling or loss power afterward. Check all vacuum lines for kinks.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Anhoa76/2006KymcoPeople250#5457755471130324050

http://picasaweb.google.com/Anhoa76/2006KymcoPeople250#5457755472968012018

I have to fill up the gas every 200km = 125 miles, but still has .5 gallon left in the tank for about 30 miles.

Anhoa

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 04:36:37 AM »
Everyone knows I am quick to suggest vapor lock. The key in this one (for me) was spooker saying "... Two nights ago, the bike was cold..."; typically, vapor lock happens during the hotter daytime temperatures, and even then, doesn't usually manifest itself quite so quickly (unless it's REALLY, REALLY hot!).

art

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 04:47:51 AM »
 Any thoughts, My little hot rod shuts down when running twice the speed it was ment to, do you think the air vent in the cap could contribute to this. (I know wrong thread but)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 09:42:12 PM »
..art..what thread were we discussing that on??

..i'll post some thoughts there...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

spooker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 10:28:35 PM »
So I turned the idle screw about 180 degrees.  It's running like a charm.  I didn't predict how easy it would be since I've never worked on a carburetor before.  Also, I hadn't yet noticed the easy access panel, and was thinking I would need to take out the whole "met-in" (what does that mean?) bucket.  I guess they make our carbs easily accessible, since we're always working on them huh?

Thanks for the help people, I hope this is the last we've heard of this problem...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 10:55:46 PM »
"met-in" (what does that mean?)

..it's taiwanese for "Stuff fits under seat, stupid"...

;D

art

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 11:53:40 PM »
 Didn't realy have one just the gas cap thing came up here and i've been thinking about it (OH! OH!) :D. Try the poeple 50 anywhere threads. My modern dirt bikes all had a vent of an 1/8" or more and did not run well if plugged with dirt.

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 12:23:21 AM »
Didn't realy have one just the gas cap thing came up here and i've been thinking about it (OH! OH!) :D. Try the poeple 50 anywhere threads. My modern dirt bikes all had a vent of an 1/8" or more and did not run well if plugged with dirt.

Um... did you start typing before reading, again?  ;)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 12:29:07 AM »
 ;D

art

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 12:30:39 AM »
 :D All the time. At least we have a success story here.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 03:35:42 AM »
Met-in box in Taiwanese = Pet Carrier in Italian = underseat storage area = tool box = food warmer

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()