Author Topic: Gear Oil  (Read 5360 times)

Calothrix

• View Profile
Gear Oil
« on: July 24, 2008, 01:35:41 PM »
I recently purchased a 2005 People 150 and I wasn't sure what maintenance was performed on it, so I decided to replace the spark plug, air filter, engine oil and gear oil.  My question concerns the gear oil. The manual says to fill with .18 L (= 180 ml).  I put about that much in and it did not reach the top of the fill hole.  So, I continued to fill it.  I stopped after putting about 450 ml in and it still does not drain out the fill hole.  Should I put more in until I reach the top of the fill hole?  Anyone else experience this with a 150 or other Kymco scoooter?  Thanks!

olbull

• View Profile
Re: Gear Oil
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 10:29:21 AM »
How  do  you  think  the  manufacturer  arrived  at 180ml  as  full for  the  hub?? Because they  designed  it!!!

Drain  the unit completely  and refill  will  only  180ml. Or  you  will  blow out  a seal  or worse..

OlBull
2007 P250

If  your  not the lead dog the  scenery never  changes

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 01:57:43 PM »
I recently purchased a 2005 People 150 and I wasn't sure what maintenance was performed on it, so I decided to replace the spark plug, air filter, engine oil and gear oil.  My question concerns the gear oil. The manual says to fill with .18 L (= 180 ml).  I put about that much in and it did not reach the top of the fill hole.  So, I continued to fill it.  I stopped after putting about 450 ml in and it still does not drain out the fill hole.  Should I put more in until I reach the top of the fill hole?  Anyone else experience this with a 150 or other Kymco scoooter?  Thanks!
I'm with olbull all the way! I'd hate to see you changing the oil on a car. Fill up to the top of the hole?

Sorry, just kidding.  ::) Get that excess out ASAP. A seal is cheap, but the labor is a killer.
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 05:22:27 PM »
Alright guys, thanks for your replys, but here is where I am confused.  When checking the gear oil level, the manual says to make sure it is up to the lower edge of the fill hole.  However, 180 ml did not get me anywhere near the lower edge of the fill hole.  I even took if for a ride to heat the gear oil up, thinking it would expand somewhat.  But the fluid still was not at the lower edge of the fill hole.  Could this be another example where the manual is wrong?  I've found several contradictions in the manual already.  When I fill the gear oil on the lower unit of my outboard, the manual says to fill until it comes out the fill hole and then put the bolt back in.  So, it makes me wonder if the 180 ml is right.

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 08:49:15 PM »
Now I'm confused as well. Found the service manual on-line and it says exactly the same thing.  >:(

http://web.mac.com/dan_fenner/iWeb/Site/The%20Files_files/P125_150%2010%20%28riduz%20finale%29.pdf

The part about filling it is right at the bottom of the page.

How much came out when you drained it?
OldGuy

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 09:17:21 PM »
I first drained my engine oil and then drained the gear oil into the same container, so hard telling how much came out.  Although, I would guess it was more than 180 ml, which is about 3/4 cup.  I added some more gear oil today to see when it would actually start draining out the fill hole.  Judging by what is left in the oil bottle and accounting for spillage, I'm guessing it took about 700 ml of gear oil!!!

kawzak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 02:40:37 AM »
180ml is  .18 litre which is 6.084 oz. which is approx 3/4 of a cup. (cup being 8oz.) So this sounds like the amount you put in.HOWEVER the book also says "check the oil level from the oil check bolt hole and add the specified oil (type) to the proper level if the oil level is low.". This on level ground on the center stand. How else would you be able to check if it is low (no dip stick) If the factory only put in  a small amount there would be no way to know how much to add .But I can't guess how you got 700ml in there. My P-250 lists .18litre (180ml same thing). Mine took about .266ml (9oz.)to be at the bottom of the check hole.Filling to the check hole  is kind of a standard set up, on motorcycle rear drive units and on car rear axles, and manual transmissions/transaxles-oil to the bottom of the check hole. But I do wonder if the scooter was on level ground and NOT on the center stand, I bet the oil level would be closer to the listed 180ml/.18liter amount. I might try this next oil change, just to see. Also if any one is interested to convert Milliters to ounces(US fluid) -multiply the amount of milliters times .0338 to equal oz.---( or) liters times 33.81402 equals oz. Looking at my final drive unit the fluid may be taking up 1/4 to 1/3 of the total capacity/area. If you  put in .18l I suspect it would be fine because gear oil climbs the gears when moving, and crawls along shafts. Just for the record my wife's Piaggio 150 rear drive unit oil amount was exactly the amount the manual listed when it ran out the check/fill hole.

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 03:13:57 AM »
Also if any one is interested to convert Milliters to ounces(US fluid) -multiply the amount of milliters times .0338 to equal oz.---( or) liters times 33.81402 equals oz.
Or you could just use the lazy man's way (Read my way.  ;D) and just go here:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

I use it so much that it's bookmarked. ;)
OldGuy

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 03:22:04 AM »
The scooter was on level ground and was up on the center stand when the oil was added.  So, I'm just wondering if this was another error made in the translation of the owner's manual. :-\

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 12:23:10 PM »
The scooter was on level ground and was up on the center stand when the oil was added.  So, I'm just wondering if this was another error made in the translation of the owner's manual. :-\
A translation error is not completely impossible. I suggest you contact Kymco USA and inquire.

KYMCO USA
5 Stan Perkins Road
Spartanburg, SC 29307
864-327-4744

info@kymcousa.com <info@kymcousa.com>

Please let us know what you find out. I'd also be interested in knowing how they treat you. Speed of response, how polite are they. etc. since I set great store in quality of service after the sale.
OldGuy

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 06:04:13 PM »
OK,

I emailed them.  We'll see how long it takes them to respond.  Unfortunately, their track record is not that great.  I left a phone message with them about two weeks ago concerning another question I had and I have still not heard back from them.  We'll give them another chance.........

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 02:10:49 AM »
Looks like they answer emails a lot quicker than they return phone messages  ;D.  I received a reply this morning from Steven Oliver of Kymco USA.  He said, "The correct amount is .18 liters. If the unit is driven much with the oil level filled to the fill hole, the venting system for the gear box will start to draw some oil into the air filter box and will then start to drip out. This causes no damage to the unit but does make a big mess. Please drain your gear oil and refill with .18 liters."
So, I drained the .70 liters and filled with the proper amount.  Bottom line: disregard the part in the manual that says the gear oil should be level with the bottom of the fill hole (this would result in exceeding the proper amount by more than .50 liter!).  Between gear oil changes there appears to be no easy way to check if you have lost any fluid.  The only sure way would be to drain and measure it! 

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 04:42:38 AM »
Good info. Glad we got that settled. ;D

While we're on the subject;

Don't know if I've mentioned it before, but the easy way to fill the final drive is to go to a ranch or feed and grain store and get a large syringe (They use them on livestock.) and a piece of plastic tubing that will fit firmly over the tip. No spill, no waste and if you get a large enough one it makes an easy way to measure the amount you put in since they are accurately graduated in milliliters or cc's. ;)
OldGuy

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 01:35:09 AM »
Thanks for the tip OldGuy!

kawzak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 11:37:20 PM »
Hey! I learned something here too. This is a first as far as I'm concerned.Why bother to call it a check hole?, just put a threaded bolt holeup on top so it would be easier to put that .18 litre in!. Anyway I am glad you got an answer from Kymco.  Thanks for sharing the info.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()