Author Topic: Where to get parts & Headlight size for Downtown 300i  (Read 12935 times)

Whisper

• View Profile
Where to get parts & Headlight size for Downtown 300i
« on: January 27, 2011, 02:04:12 PM »
Hello All!

2 Questions: 

- Where can you order parts, like an oil filter, online for the Downtown 300i in the US?  The model doesn't even show up on Kymco's parts site (>.< )

- What size are the headlights on the Downtown 300i?  They are listed as 35W/35W...  Which is not a size at all.  I'l like to replace them with the cooler spectrum bulbs I normally use.

spr0k3t

• View Profile
Re: Where to get parts & Headlight size for Downtown 300i
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 05:12:04 PM »
From what I can tell the bulb is the BA20D which is a 12V 35/35 bulb.  Never seen one up close, but that's what I'm getting in my searches across the interwebs.  As for the oil filter on the Downtown... I can't find anything.  You might have to get the part number from a parts-list found at a dealer for the Kymco filter.

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 11:53:28 PM »
If it is a Halogen type bulb it is an HS1
That is what is on the People S 200 and 250

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 12:14:18 AM »
According to another thread, Whisper pulled the bulb and changed it using the data from the bulb.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 01:57:31 PM »
After I verify the bulbs, I'll post - Headlight is DEFINITELY H8.

I'll also post the part numbers for the Rollers, Oil filter, etc.  I had to pour through the parts list and hopefully I can save someone some time and that effort.  I'll try to post all this on Sunday.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 03:15:56 PM »
- Headlights H8 35W  - CONFIRMED
- Rear Turn Signal:  BAU15S  - CONFIRMED
- Rear Brake:  1157 - CONFIRMED

I got all my bulbs from SuperbrightLEDs (I have no affiliation or business uinterest with them - but I was very happy with their products!)

Turn Signals:  http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2FBAU15S-x18-T.htm

Brake Light:  http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2F1156-x18-T.htm

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:19:11 PM by Whisper »

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 07:21:03 PM »
As promised, here are some pics - In broad daylight, of how the LED bulbs are working out.

jwalz1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 06:27:32 PM »
- Headlights H8 35W  - CONFIRMED
- Rear Turn Signal:  BAU15S  - CONFIRMED
- Rear Brake:  1157 - CONFIRMED

I got all my bulbs from SuperbrightLEDs (I have no affiliation or business uinterest with them - but I was very happy with their products!)

Turn Signals:  http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2FBAU15S-x18-T.htm

Brake Light:  http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2F1156-x18-T.htm

Just posting a follow up to this old thread.  I searched through all the threads to find usefull info for upgrades.  I ordered the rear brake light and two rear turn signal bulbs from the links.  I am not an electroncis guru, but the rear brake part number works great.  

I got two of the turn signal ones and tried to install them.  I started with the left side socket, put in the new buld and tested it.  The right side (which was still stock) blinked normally, the left side with the new bulb blinked at a much slower rate than the stock side AND made the front signal in the mirror come on with the signal switch and pulsate between dim and bright when it blinked where the stock side mirror signal would go on and off.  It was a little brighter than stock, and I did not like the slower flashing much but thought maybe that was the trade off.  I then put the other bulb in the right side socket, and it would not flash at all.  It would not even come on in front.  I tried this bulb in the left socket, and it worked just like the first, bright but slower flashing.  I tried both led's in the right socket and both would make a dead signal so I ended up putting the stock turn signal bulbs back in and I guess I had about $35 worth of useless bulbs.  Both LED's worked (although differently than stock) in the left socket, and both made the right socket and turn signal fail completely.

I am not sure if they are goofy, or what the heck the issue is but they don't work well with the electrical system on my Downtown.   I do not blame Whisper for posting the link.  If they worked for him great, this is just a word of caution for those who may study this thread as I did and order the same parts.  I wonder if the bulbs could have been mis-labeled and actually be another bulb.  
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 06:30:23 PM by jwalz1 »

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 08:16:46 PM »
Hi, you need to place load resistors for the turn signals to work properly. I too without the laod resistor had one that would not blink but if the engine was runnning it would. With load resistors all functions return to normal..........

jwalz1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 11:27:19 PM »
Hi, you need to place load resistors for the turn signals to work properly. I too without the laod resistor had one that would not blink but if the engine was runnning it would. With load resistors all functions return to normal..........

Can you give me an install for dummies how to in a paragraph or two? 

I assum I have to solder something inline in the power lead or something?   

If it is too complicated, I may just keep the stock turn signals.  I want brighter, but at least in there semi working condition, I did not notice that the led's were much brighter.

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 11:38:48 PM »
You don't need load resistors, just change the flasher to one designed for led. It will plug in in place of the original.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

jwalz1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 02:39:02 PM »
You don't need load resistors, just change the flasher to one designed for led. It will plug in in place of the original.

Do you know where the flasher location on the scooter would be?  I gave the bike a once over when I had the seat pan out.   I have to admit, I am an engine guy.  A fairly mechanical guy, but not really an electrical system guy. 

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 03:07:19 PM »
It is under the cowl I believe. And correct with a proper flasher load resistors are not needed but easier to install. They usually come with wire splicing addapters so it is a simple squeze on.

Now for the LED's to be brighter you need the larger LED bulb for the stop/tail. I went for the the turn signals as 70 lum amber and brake 30/120 red 1157. Stay away from the cool white as it will give a purple hugh to the stop/tail light. You may even be able to get the larger 45 sim bulbs in the turn signals as well.

Where you see the difference with LEDs is at the tail light level. LEDs are very directional and those who have followed me definately have noticed the difference, especially at night.

jwalz1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 03:43:33 PM »
Ok, I get it now.  I think I will have to buy the CD for the service/maintenance manual.  I would love to get something with good diagrams of the bike and all the part locations.  If anyone know if this is online for free please link.

bdrannik

• Southwest Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 05:25:23 PM »
Do you know where the flasher location on the scooter would be?

The flasher is located under the front cowl but there is a good chance that you would not have to remove the body to access it.  After removing the windshield there is a small panel that is is accessible and you can see the top of the flasher relay - I don't have access to my scooter at the moment so I can not check to see if it can be disconnected through this hole or not.  Note in the diagram below it is called the "Winker relay":

You can see the top of flasher (round item) in the lower right just inside the opening (there are two black square relays shown in this photo that you will not have - they are part of my custom light wiring):

And here is the printing shown on top of the flasher relay on my USA-spec 2011 DT300i:

I don't know if most of the folks adding LED turn signals have USA-spec bikes with the front signals installed in the mirrors or Europe/Asian models..  On our US spec bikes it appears that possibly the signal mirrors have resisters built into them.  After adding LED signal bulbs to my bike the signals worked normally until I disconnected the front signal mirrors from the circuit and then I had the rapid flash rate and the signals were not going all the way off, they would stay on at half brightness.

Please note that I am not using the LED bulbs listed in this thread - I'm using the products from V-LEDs. (I will be listing the exact bulb models, etc in a future write-up when I get back from out of town)

Also, when changing out the rear tail/brake light, be sure to order a red LED bulb for use behind the red plastic lens housing.  (Red LED behind red lens, amber LED behind amber lens, and whatever color you need/require behind a clear lens for example amber for our turn signals)

The bulb research by "Whispers" above is correct: the headlight is H8 for both low/high, tail/stop is 1157, and the turn signals are BAU15S.

Brent

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:53:53 PM by bdrannik »
2011 DT300i - Givi Windshield - HID 5K Low/High Beams - LED Tail/Turn/License Bulbs - Front signal mirrors converted to running lights/signal - Dummy bulbs to LED 5K white running light/amber signals -  Givi E55 w/Admore LED Kit & custom paint - Scorpio SR-i900 Alarm - NGK CR7EIX - Amsoil Synthetics

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()