Author Topic: My resprayed Agility 50 - Now renamed Agility GT50  (Read 4063 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
My resprayed Agility 50 - Now renamed Agility GT50
« on: April 25, 2011, 01:12:00 AM »
Had my Agility50 since just after new year. When i got it it was red and kind of boring so since it was nice and sunny this weekend i decided to paint it.
Just put it all back together this afternoon and now she looks fine, no more nasty red paint.
Already did a full de-restrict(cdi cut, Boss, 82 main jet) and get max speed of 47mph now on the clock using 5.5g rollers, 43mph on gps using my phone. Could use some better acceleration but once im finally up to top speed its fast enough for now. Waiting for a race variator and 7.5g rollers this week to try that out, then out to have some speedy fun hopefully. May try a 1000rpm spring later too.
Be good to hear what folks think of my work anyway so far, so all feedback welcome.

This it how it was before i started on it.

And after.

Chaos is my co-pilot.

axy

• View Profile
Re: My resprayed Agility 50 - Now renamed Agility GT50
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 10:58:34 AM »
I think it looks great, I like "dull" grey, silver and matte black colors.
How did you spray it, did you sand it before or just spray over existing color, did you use spray in cans (I guess not) or spray pistol etc?
Tnx.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 01:16:06 PM »
Nice very nice

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 01:37:33 PM »
Yeah Axy, just rubbed it down using 1200 grade wet and dry paper, gave it 3 coat spray with hi-build plastic primer, sprayed 4-5 coats of top colour, then 4 coats of clear laquer. Left it for 2 days then fitted it all up. I did use spray cans but i got a local auto paint store to mix me up custom aerosols because the paint is always far better quality than the paint from normal car parts stores, which is generally pretty crap.

1x tin of plastic, 2x tins of colour and 1x tin of laquer did the whole job(but i had half a tin of laquer already too).

Its a 1950's VW Beetle colour, polar silver.

Just colour co-ordinated my top box, waiting for paint to dry off then i can fit that on too, ready for showing off at work tomorrow.

Really fancy a custom front headlight now, hmmmmmm, need to think about that and get a plan together soon. :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 04:32:02 PM »
Yeah Axy, just rubbed it down using 1200 grade wet and dry paper, gave it 3 coat spray with hi-build plastic primer, sprayed 4-5 coats of top colour, then 4 coats of clear laquer. Left it for 2 days then fitted it all up. I did use spray cans but i got a local auto paint store to mix me up custom aerosols because the paint is always far better quality than the paint from normal car parts stores, which is generally pretty crap.

1x tin of plastic, 2x tins of colour and 1x tin of laquer did the whole job(but i had half a tin of laquer already too).

Its a 1950's VW Beetle colour, polar silver.

Just colour co-ordinated my top box, waiting for paint to dry off then i can fit that on too, ready for showing off at work tomorrow.

Really fancy a custom front headlight now, hmmmmmm, need to think about that and get a plan together soon. :)

Great.
I was always hesitant do to something like that. I really like matte black.
Did you every do any job on damaged tupperware, work with plaster etc. to fix scratches on plastic parts?

Considering that you used almost ten layers of colors, I imagine that you used very, very thin layer every time?
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 06:35:04 PM »
Its easy, just takes a bit of practice to get even paint. If you get it wrong its no prob, just let it dry and sand back any bad bits then paint over it again. As long as you get it sanded dull before you put on any primer, you will be fine. If its not sanded enough then the new paint wont stick well. Even if you mess up the whole thing you can just sand it flat again and repaint it.

Put on light coats for 1st coat of primer, also 1st coat of colour and same for laquer. Dont hold can too close or put paint on too thick or will just get runs. Just build up till its all had several coats and looks even. Leave 15-20 mins between coats, do the primer 1 day, leave for good 6-8 hours, do top colour, leave 6-8 hrs, or overnight, then do laquer. Will take upto a week for it all to fully harder up so be carefull till it does cos it will chip and scrape easy till then. And dont polish it for 1-2 weeks, use only water to clean it till then.

I didnt paint the black on my scoot i just use back to black type plastic car bumper cream to moisturise it every month or so.

Ne3ver tried repairing the black plastic. Unless you intended to paint it i think it would be difficult to match in well, prob easier to keep looking on ebay for a 2nd hand panel, you should find a good 1 cheap enough eventually. If you are going to paint the black bits then use araldite or similair to gradually build it upin layers to fill it up then sand it back flat once it dries.

Good luck.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 07:38:01 PM »
Jeez, you sound like an expert to me. :)
I have noticed that your scoot originally had black plastic part around headlight. My gf's Agility has this part painted too.
Btw. how did you fasten the metallic looking floorboard? Did you buy that part or cut it out from larger piece of material?
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 08:13:39 PM »
Im def no expert, still learning new stuff every day. ;D

The metal is made from aluminium chequer plate.I made upa template from paper then took it into work and got a guy to cut it out for me, didnt cost me a penny. Its 4 different bits, the main bit, the cover for the battery and 2x passenger steps. Just lucky i work in a shipbuilders yard so i can get things like that made up easy for nothing. I used heavy industrial double sided rubber tape to stick it down and then used black silicon to seal it round the edges. Looks much better than the old black and easy to wipe clean if your shoes are muddy.

Heres a link to my Peugeot Speedfight i did before my Kymco if your interested, selling it to a neighbour tomorrow cos its a 100cc and i cant legally drive anything over a 50cc :'( Its a bit of a bummer cos i like how it turned out, just cant afford to sit my test right now to drive it.
http://www.pug-club.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=30245

And if your really, really keen heres a link to my VW beetle im still building.
http://www.pug-club.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=29886

I know there not Kymco but they are cool.

Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()