Author Topic: Trouble with Kymco  (Read 8495 times)

DoGOV

• View Profile
Trouble with Kymco
« on: July 26, 2011, 10:24:03 PM »
I have a Kymco Agility 50 and I've been having some trouble with it lately. I am the third owner of this scoot and it has almost 2000 miles on it (or Km, not sure what the the meter reads). But anyway, I've notice that there are three things that it will do randomly. Theses things really are completely random and do not happen all the time but rather frequently I guess. (1) has trouble starting up. Usually if i just leave it alone and come back or just keep trying it will eventually work. (2) will bog out when going up a hill with two people on it (average weight people). It will also shut off when I stop at the top of a hill when I'm just on it. (3) the most persistent thing that bothers me is that when I'm going a "high" speeds (like 40+) it sounds like there is a rattle noise coming from the variator area. If any body knows what might be the problem please respond. I've taken the thing apart and I'm going to clean the carb, but I don't know how to tune the jets and I have to wait to get carb cleaner cause I'll be broke for a couple days. Ive also looked at the variator and I'm not sure if anything is really loose. The "little gear thing" that the electric start turns can be a little loose if you play with it. I took the spark plug off and it looks okay I guess.
Edit: here's a video
Edit 2: cleaned carb, messed with jets, put everything back together, test drove, worked fine, changed oil (synthetic motorcycle oil) cause I was just using regular blend, now it won't start!!! Here's another video 

callumP

• View Profile
Re: Trouble with Kymco
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 10:44:35 PM »
if it stops/cuts out or bogs could mean  that your carb tick over screw is in the wrong position

DoGOV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 10:51:40 PM »
if it stops/cuts out or bogs could mean  that your carb tick over screw is in the wrong position

What is a "carb tick over screw"? I have messed with the two jets when you open the carb, the main jet (the little one) and the other one below it (not sure what it's called). The main jet is an 82 I think. How do you start tuning these? Lets say I tighten them down all the way, then what. I've heard turn them both counter-clockwise like 1.5 or 2 turns but the the main jet would fall out. Is a full turn a 180 degree turn or a 360 degree turn, because that makes a big difference.

callumP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 10:58:43 PM »
i dont know much about carbs, all ive done is cleaned one and adjusted the tick over screw. its a screw inside a spring, start of by screwing it up tight and undo it a quater turn at a time untill your happy with how it sounds and so it doesnt cut out/bog.

DoGOV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 11:22:53 PM »
i dont know much about carbs, all ive done is cleaned one and adjusted the tick over screw. its a screw inside a spring, start of by screwing it up tight and undo it a quater turn at a time untill your happy with how it sounds and so it doesnt cut out/bog.

Ah, I see what your speaking of.  That's the screw that will open the trottle when tightened some. I don't think that's the problem because it has a nice idle when it runs. It will just change after going up a hill (especially with 2 ppl). Now I just wished it would start!

hungryrussian

• Kymco Agility 50 "Sonic"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 03:52:02 AM »
try replacing the spark plug if you haven't already that will eliminate that choice of being the problem if nothing else plus my bike runs a bit smoother on a new plug. the starter gear that you mentioned will sometimes rattle at those speeds mine does but my exhaust is pretty loud so i don't hear it anymore some people on here have fixed it but you would have to search the forum to find that solution as i don't remember how. if you're hitting 40+ i'm sure your scoot has been de-restricted so you may want to go up a little in jet size. also check your CDI (the little black box with the green plug in your battery box) to see if it has a cut in it, if not you should search the forum for cdi cut and go ahead and do it that could possibly help with starting and it will give you a good increase in power as it takes the rev limiter off the ignition. hope this helps  :)
'08 Agility 50, 72cc BBK, Naraku HS High Speed Variator, some clutch tweaking, UNI filter with homemade cold air setup, Leo Vince Handmade Titan exhaust, lots of random upgrades i'll never be able to remember.. the look on people's faces when i put a knee down through a curve makes it all worthwhile

DoGOV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 11:29:34 AM »
try replacing the spark plug if you haven't already that will eliminate that choice of being the problem if nothing else plus my bike runs a bit smoother on a new plug. the starter gear that you mentioned will sometimes rattle at those speeds mine does but my exhaust is pretty loud so i don't hear it anymore some people on here have fixed it but you would have to search the forum to find that solution as i don't remember how. if you're hitting 40+ i'm sure your scoot has been de-restricted so you may want to go up a little in jet size. also check your CDI (the little black box with the green plug in your battery box) to see if it has a cut in it, if not you should search the forum for cdi cut and go ahead and do it that could possibly help with starting and it will give you a good increase in power as it takes the rev limiter off the ignition. hope this helps  :)

Yeah, my cdi has been cut into. I'm not sure if I have a smooth boss on the variator or not because I cannot take the variator nut off. Is it possible to buy the same spark plug from an auto parts store or do you think I'll have to order one. What size jet do you recommend for a stock dereistricted A50?

DoGOV

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 03:49:36 PM »
Okay well I got it running and it seems to run fine but I still have this problem!!

hungryrussian

• Kymco Agility 50 "Sonic"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 09:53:24 PM »
that sounds pretty nasty you definitely should get into your transmission and try to find someone with an impact wrench to take that nut off for you so you can check rollers, belt wear, your boss, ect and theres truly no real number for jet size every bike is different but you should be fine with an 85 jet just watch your plug good luck  :)
'08 Agility 50, 72cc BBK, Naraku HS High Speed Variator, some clutch tweaking, UNI filter with homemade cold air setup, Leo Vince Handmade Titan exhaust, lots of random upgrades i'll never be able to remember.. the look on people's faces when i put a knee down through a curve makes it all worthwhile

DoGOV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 10:18:49 PM »
that sounds pretty nasty you definitely should get into your transmission and try to find someone with an impact wrench to take that nut off for you so you can check rollers, belt wear, your boss, ect and theres truly no real number for jet size every bike is different but you should be fine with an 85 jet just watch your plug good luck  :)

I'm thinking of just buying an impact wrench (adjustable). Any idea on hot tight the variator nut should be when you put it back on?  I'll post back when I can get this stuff off. What do you think of this belt and this plug.
http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/kymco-748-18-28-aramid-kevlar-gates-powerlink-scooter-cvt-belt.html
http://www.amazon.co.uk/KYMCO-Agility-NGK-IRIDIUM-spark/dp/B001GDGJ5A

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 12:51:27 AM »
there are ways of take the nuts off your self just google remove variator nut from gy6 engine.
cant explane to you on here put all you need is a open end wrench and a socket.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 03:55:37 AM »
To remove the variator nut use a clutch holder and a 1/2" drive socket with flex bar.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

DoGOV

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 10:53:12 PM »
To remove the variator nut use a clutch holder and a 1/2" drive socket with flex bar.

I tried using this method. But to no avail.

I actually broke an socket wrench extension trying to do it.

I did see this post and figured something like this might have happened.  http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=discussion&thread=22383&page=1 The thing i 've noticed is that the rattle only happens immediately after take off and at like 40 mph exactly. I can go over forty and it stops. I have also thought maybe it could be flat spots on the rollers but I can't get to them...  :-\

To address the starting pinion/ bendix being the problem I did a little test. The results... :-\

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 11:14:33 PM »
Cheap quality extension bar?
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

DoGOV

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 11:16:38 PM »
Cheap quality extension bar?
Yeah, probably. Does the scooter just not run with the cvt case off or is my scooter just retarded

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()