Author Topic: New Topics (for me anyway): Spark Plugs and Gas  (Read 5517 times)

Jim Moore

• View Profile
New Topics (for me anyway): Spark Plugs and Gas
« on: February 03, 2012, 12:03:31 PM »
Folks,

My owners manual recommends a Champion P-RZ9HC. The PO said he used NGKs. I can't find a good cross reference on the net. What plugs do you guys prefer?

Also, what octane gas? The owners manual said the compression ratio was "13." It didn't say 13 what. I can't believe it's that high but what do I know. Do y'all use premium in these things, or can I get away with cheaper gas?

Quick note, I tried a few searches and really didn't find anything that nailed down these questions.

Thanks,

Jim Moore
Jax, FL

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: New Topics (for me anyway): Spark Plugs and Gas
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 12:10:29 PM »
The 125cc GY6 engine (google GY6+125, you'll get all the info you'll ever need, it's the most common
125cc scooter engine for years) should be around 9,2:1 so any fuel should work.

As far as the spark plug goes, I have no idea re: model number, but I also used NGK.

I've changed it only once, at 7k miles, and the OEM plug was still working fine.
The bike currently has almost double that mileage (13,5k) and the NGK is still
working fine.

That engine will really take anything you throw at it.
Same goes for oil, you can go really cheap with it (15W40 mineral stuff is fine).
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 12:18:26 PM »
I really like the ngk iridium plugs , small single cylinder engines can use all the help they can get . Also non-ethanol gas will help very much , check your area for availability here: http://pure-gas.org/ . Good luck .
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 12:27:08 PM by juice »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 12:41:27 AM »
Premium ONLY for my engines, and the NGK web site has the cross Reff. chart you need. I believe you can just ask here for the ngk #'s also
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 10:05:33 AM »
Folks,

My owners manual recommends a Champion P-RZ9HC. The PO said he used NGKs. I can't find a good cross reference on the net. What plugs do you guys prefer?

Also, what octane gas? The owners manual said the compression ratio was "13." It didn't say 13 what. I can't believe it's that high but what do I know. Do y'all use premium in these things, or can I get away with cheaper gas?

Quick note, I tried a few searches and really didn't find anything that nailed down these questions.

Thanks,

Jim Moore
Jax, FL

You can use NGK CR7HS. The brand is irrelevant, just buy any good spark plag for that scoot every 10.000 kms. The old one will still look good, but why worry about that.
Use 10W-40 oil (not 15W-40), semi-synthetic. Personally I use synthetic because I can get it cheaply but it is overkill. Change every 2-3.000 kms.
Use any fuel with 95 octane or more. If you are in USA skip that high percentage ethanol crap you have there and use gasoline with up to 5 % ethanol.
Lube everything with grease and WD40 every two months, change air filter every 10.000 kms, check tires every month and you will be good to go for thousands of kilometers.
This type of scoot/engine has been transporting people in Asia and Africa for decades without NASA maintenance crew behind them.

Also I could not wait long enough for this type of thread  ;D :D to say that on this forum we have a hype going on about Sea Foam and Iridium NGK. Both are marketing fads. :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:31:51 PM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 12:22:50 PM »
So sorry , I had forgotten that my opinions and personal experiences were irrelevant and misguided , please forgive me and ignore all of my posts . Thank you Axy for once again pointing out my foolishness and stupidity .

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 12:28:33 PM »
I apologize to everybody affected for giving detailed, scientific and number/fact-based advice as a response to posted question, especially if it contradicts somebody's wrong preconceptions.

Life is usually a learning process, for some. For others, it is not.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:31:10 PM by axy »
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 12:42:58 PM »

plural pre·con·cep·tions [count] : an idea or opinion that someone has before learning about or experiencing something directly
▪ I came to the lecture without any preconceptions. — often + about or of ▪ He's changing people's preconceptions about/of modern art.
I have actually tried and use the products I recommended .

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 07:53:43 PM »
That's why even doctors use placebo pills.
People tend to believe in anything they set their mind to.
Some even believe in invisible superior beings.  ::)
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 10:30:52 PM »
Holy Sh*t! FLAME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! Way to go Axy...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 10:31:42 PM »
The guy just wants a spark plug #

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 10:48:27 AM »
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

Jim Moore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 01:25:36 PM »
Thanks for the help, guys! Hey, did y'all know that a 12 pack of Bud Lite will fit under the seat?! It's like a goddam miracle!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 11:09:48 PM »
With a bag of ice. I have two drain holes for this. Back to the plugs. Iridium plugs are not an efficient choice for 2t engines as they are too expensive to replace as often as we should. In a 4t it is a different story. They do resist oil/carbon fouling due to the focused spark from a smaller tip. An OLD funny car trick was to file the center electrode to a 45* angle to focus the spark source vs. allowing it to jump all over a flat surface. Same for rotors, and distributer caps. A fine point will burn more quickly however. That is the reason for the exotic metals used.
Either that or they are lying about it all to get us to buy all the extra iridium some new guy ordered at the plant.  IDK...   I don't want to offend but ihttp://www.seafoamsales.com/why-sea-foam-motor-treatment-works.html
http://www.yotatech.com/f105/sea-foam-do-you-want-truth-160613/
http://www.densoiridium.com/faq.php
No such thing as a cure all but some thing work better than others. I laugh at STP/Dry gas/ect. but Recommend sea foam to counter all the nasties in our fuel.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 11:11:41 PM »
Don't come after me Axy... I'll throw darts at your cats picture.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()