Author Topic: On board battery tender  (Read 1603 times)

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
On board battery tender
« on: February 09, 2012, 05:38:23 AM »
So in my limited time here, I'm sure you guys get the idea of how I pay attention to details. So with that said, I had to come up with a solution for a battery tender that would not be a hassle to use when not riding the bike. My solution was to buy a Harbor Freight $4.99 special battery tender on one of their sales days. This installation should apply to any scoot. If you have common sense, this should be a piece of cake and take no longer than an hour to do regardless of what battery tender you use.

I cut the hardwired power cord and installed a male/female jack. The parts are obtained at your local Radio Shack store. From there, I drilled the correct size hole for the female jack on the plastic fender at the back. The wiring from the charger/tender is neatly tucked under and into the storage compartment. Instead of using the included alligator clips for the battery, I soldered on "O" terminals after cutting the alligator clips off. The "O" terminals allow direct wired installation to the battery terminals. I also installed an on/off switch since the harbor freight tender has an LED that stays on when it's connected to the battery. I didn't want a battery drain, so this is what the switch prevents. It isolates the battery tender from the battery itself. Depending on the battery tender you get, this switch may not be necessary. You need to flip the switch on when you are charging.

So here it is in pictures....

Simon
2009 Kymco Xciting Ri With no mods.

fshfindr

• View Profile
Re: On board battery tender
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 07:49:41 PM »
It looks good and as said before, nicely done.  I just plug the tender into the cigarette type receptacle.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 09:09:16 PM »
Attention to details?
That's an understatement.

Seek help!
 ;D

p.s. OMG great job!
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 10:51:17 PM »
It looks good and as said before, nicely done.  I just plug the tender into the cigarette type receptacle.

On the Grand Vista, the cigarette receptacle is powered OFF when the ignition switch is OFF.
Therefore, no charging overnight.

Scoot Safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 12:39:36 AM »
On the Grand Vista, the cigarette receptacle is powered OFF when the ignition switch is OFF.
Therefore, no charging overnight.

Scoot Safely,

Yes, cars are that way also.  Mine is a diy receptacle.  It is fused.  I can pull the fuse to disable it.  I haven't found it necessary to disable it.  My Yager sits in a Cycleshell (Cyclehut) enclosure protected from the weather behind my home.  110 outlet is 3 ft away.  Not a bad idea to put a switch on it.  I may, but with or without a switch, I'm happy with it.  BYW, the Battery Tender sleeps with the bike when not in use.

Richard L.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 12:49:10 AM by fshfindr »
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

jan.strydom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 10:52:44 AM »
 :) great job!!!!

sissy mary

• View Profile