Author Topic: Valve Clearance - first timer - DIY - help  (Read 7677 times)

greagle

• View Profile
Valve Clearance - first timer - DIY - help
« on: April 12, 2012, 02:12:04 AM »
I know it is due to do, and last time I took it in for a 'warranty' valve clearance, I was charged around $200 US and I had to leave it for the night so that it was cold when they did it.  I did so and after 3 hours on buses (transfers, getting home and then going back to pick it up), what are the tools necessary to do a Valve Adjustment?

Side note:  This place also charged me almost $100 for an oil change that took over an hour.  Now that I am no longer in the warranty (almost a year now) and I do it myself, last week I changed my gear oil, motor oil, and cleaned my carburetor within an hour and only $12 in material (bought oil, but have plenty of gear oil in stock as well as carb cleaner spray). 

I have an Agility 50, 2009 with around 15,000 km.  Used daily and basically a new belt, but I am missing a slider in the variator, which is on order (realized it was missing on last belt change). 

I have no idea on how to do a valve adjustment and/or what valves need adjusting.  I can take my scoot apart, but really I have only dealt the carb, belt, rollers and changed some light bulbs. 

Any advice on what tools I need or let me know the 'experience level' that I need to DIY it would be great.  If I need to take it in to someone I will, but if this is something I can do myself, I would rather do that. 

Thanks
B

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Valve Clearance - first timer - DIY - help
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 03:38:31 AM »
There is a link to a service manual in a thread called "links to manuals" in the general section. It is REAL easy to do.

For 100.00 yuo can buy all the tools you need to rebuild any gy6 engine.
Your mechanic was a bit pricey but he most likely lost money on shop costs for the day. You gotta think about that too. Utube is full of vids on every part of your engine. Forget about hurting the shiny body. It's just plastic.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 03:40:35 AM »
I forgot to quote Mary K...   "hit it with a mallet."
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 07:58:51 AM »
Yup, its easy. I held off doing mine for ages cos i was chicken i'd make a mistake and wreck my engine but it was simple and quick to do. Just wat h a few vids and read up on it 1st so you are sure you know how to do it. And be certain you use the correct size feeler gauge.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

greagle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 02:07:10 PM »
Thanks Zombie for the proper vid, that is totally different than what I thought a valve adjustment was going to be.  I don't mean to knock the dealership people, I know they have to make money to stay open and I am sure the overhead is crazy high on a scoot shop, just sometimes that sticker shock really gets to you.

Yep, by watching, I feel totally comfortable.  I have a complete set of wrenches and other tools, so I guess all i need to pick up is a feeler gauge.  Sweet, thanks again guys.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 05:09:34 PM »
There should be a thin rubber seal round the cover so just make sure you fit it back in correctly so you dont have any oil leaks. Mine was missing when i 1st did mine (no i didnt lose it, it just wasnt there), think the previous owner had mislaid it somewhere in the past so i just bought a new one.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 12:26:43 AM »
That's why were here Bro!

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 02:25:47 AM »
There should be a thin rubber seal round the cover so just make sure you fit it back in correctly so you dont have any oil leaks. Mine was missing when i 1st did mine (no i didnt lose it, it just wasnt there), think the previous owner had mislaid it somewhere in the past so i just bought a new one.

black seal a gasket well work for this.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 09:18:50 AM »
You're right Zombie, these mechanical stuff is very easy to do.  But the problem of these Kymcos (I don't know about others) is the difficulty of removing and worse assembling back these plastic panels.  I had a Chinese ride before and you just to find the screws or bolts, take them out, plastic panels pops out, then whalla!! you're in! To put them back, just do the reverse.  With the Kymco, I have to study the leg bone which is connected to the knee bone connected to the thigh bone connected to the hip bone .... and before you know it, it's dinner time again!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 09:22:32 AM »
I've glassed all mine into three pieces total for the scoot, and 2 for the head set. My body is off in 1 minute

greagle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 09:33:18 PM »
I finally did my first Valve Adjustment/Clearance and I must say I did it within an hour. 

So, I bought some feeler gauges I couldn't get the .004 inch to fit on either, so loosened them tightened them down to the .004 and tried the .005 to make sure it wasn't to loose, however, now I notice a very rapid tapping sound

I know the scoot needs to be cold, so there is no need for me to open it back up and look at it for a few hours or until morning, so thought I would post for thoughts.  Maybe that tapping was always there, it is just since I was over focusing on the one part I noticed it allot more.  Hmmmm?

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 10:33:18 PM »
You set the gaps too small  :P
It should be set to .04mm  not 0.004" (0.004" is only 0.0015mm :o )

So yes you willneed to open her back up im afraid  :(

You learned at least how to do it so it should take you half the time.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

greagle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 11:41:22 PM »
So, I have the gap to big then.  I am looking on my feeler gauges and I have a .038mm/.0015" feeler.  The other one is .102mm/.004", the one I used today.  That is why when I did the test when I first opened it up and tried to fit the .004" one in there it wouldn't fit.  I was like, oh, that really got tight, but really it is suppose to be tighter.  Thanks bud - will do it in the AM and let ya know.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 11:53:41 PM »
Yeah the .038mm/.0015" feeler is just under but it should be fine. Youre right, if you set at 0.102mm its too big a gap, more than double.

You'll be an expert at it now at least  :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 11:56:22 PM »
i think blue said to me that you can set the valves at 0.04 top 0.03 bottom. "try it you will like it"
Courage is measured in how much tyre you use.

2010 Kymco Agility 72..Naraku 72cc race cylinder...Naraku 50cc race head
Naraku Race CDi...Polini free flow filter...Motoforce Racing Carb
NGK Irirdium plug...Naraku Race Variator...Malossi fly clutch
Stage 6 cnc clutch bell...1500 Rpm torque sprin

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()