Author Topic: Thermometer mod  (Read 7918 times)

axy

• View Profile
Thermometer mod
« on: April 05, 2009, 03:26:17 PM »
Finally, I did a little thermometer mod to my new People S 250.

As you can see, I used China made and ebay purchased (around 5 US$ with shipping!) aquarium thermometer (hence, water-proof). It is written on the casing that it measures from 23-28 C, but I tested it by putting it in the freezer and it shows also sub zero temperatures.

To mount it on the handlebar I used a mounting set that should be used to install on/off switch of heated handgrips from my previous scooter (Beverly 200) that I did not use as I mounted the switch inside the glove compartment.

It took some tweaking, annoying adjustments, adding some rubber padding, drilling some holes, but now I am pretty satisfied with the results, at least until somebody decides to tear it off while the scooter is parked downtown. I also have some doubts regarding strength off the plastic that holds the thermometer casing, but we shall see.

Too bad Kymco did not include thermometer as a part of the basic package for every scooter - I had it on Beverly and miss it dearly on Kymco.

Attached is also a pic of "daily commuting team" that includes Agility 125. What is missing is Piaggio NRG 50 LC 2T that is fully rebuilt and enjoying the status of a "reserve emergency vehicle" in the garage.  ;D

p.s. The next mod will be heated handgrips - Agility already has them installed... it is strange that on ebay.co.uk and ebay.com there are almost no vendors selling them... luckily there are on ebay.de :)

p.p.s. Just realized last week that somebody stole the cap on top of the exhaust can on Agility... or it fell of (I doubt it, it is held by several nuts/bolts). Ordered a new one.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 03:47:18 PM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

axy

• View Profile
Re: Thermometer mod
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 06:59:45 PM »
In order to avoid opening a new topic, I will continue right here.

Yesterday I spent five hours trying to fit Oxford heated handgrips. I have purchased two types of handgrips: Oxford, velcro based purchased on amazon.co.uk that can be removed and Saito I bought in Graz/Austria in Louis (www.louis.de) store. Finally I did it with help of my girlfriend.

First I had to tear apart the met in box. Of course, my cat managed to turn over the box that consequently fell to the ground and

of course it broke the connector of the 12V lighter socket so I had to fix it somehow. Also, Kymco factory sloppy job was fixed by using glue to fix the insulation underneath the met in box that was not glued properly.

Another problem was the fact that the manual I had is for People 250 (like Jprestonian has) and People S 250. However, there is a difference in certain parts but the manual does not address them. For example, I could not disassemble the front light assembly according to instructions.

After taking out the met in box, I tried to take out the part of the fuel intake cap, but there are so many plastic parts that should be removed that I gave up. Instead, I concentrated on finding the route to pass the cables upwards towards the steering wheel. I have removed plastic side caps, then the plastic cap behind which there is cooling fluid flask and the plastic cap that hides VIN number. Then we managed to pass the flexible iron rod with a lot of effort, because there is not much space between iron frame

and plastic parts, tie the cables to the iron rod and pass them upwards.

Then we had to do the same passing the connector cables close to left and right handgrips. This took a lot of time, eventhough there is a lot of space compared to other scooters and we managed to do it without disassembling the front and rear covers, it somewhat looked like doing a laparoscopic surgery - we used screwdrivers, long thin wooden sticks etc.

I have hooked up + to the 12V electric socket, while - I drew directly from the battery. The socket is not in the circuit until the

key is in the ignition, while on my previous Beverly 200 the socket was on also when the key was out. This is important because now I cannot forget to turn off the grips when I leave the scooter, even if the switch remains in "ON" position.

Finally, there was a lot of fiddling with the wires, I had a problem because the part where the fuse is is quite wide and could not be passed through narrow channels between plastic parts of the scooter and iron frame.

It took also some time to connect the on/off switch to the rearview mirror and tie the cables neatly tucking them inside the steering.

(this is happy me after five hours of standing over the scooter...  ::) )

Yesterday I have tried the new grips and I can tell you that eventhough they use around 2 A, compared to the regular heated handgrips that cannot be removed and that use 3-5 A, they heat much better and effect can be felt IMMEDIATELY, while the regular ones start slowly working after 4-5 minutes of being on. This is very important for us that use the scooter throughout the winter.

Also, this kind of added padding isolates the hand from the handlebar and even when they are off it is not so cold.

Additional benefit is that you can easily remove them during half of the year when you do not need them. What I do not like is the added padding because I have relatively small palms and I am slightly worried about the quality of the Velcro, eventhough a friend that has been using Oxford for a years says they look as good as new.

Tomorrow People has first inspection @ 3200 kms in the shop... almost 5 months on the road. :)

Keep you updated. :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 07:10:20 PM by axy »
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 08:58:22 PM »
Washed and greased thoroughly both scooters.
Disassembled exhaust on Agility, removed rust and painted it with (supposedly) temperature-resistant paint.
Reflective rim tapes have arrived from Hong Kong via ebay so today I have put them on. :)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 03:55:53 PM »
OK,while People is being repaired, this will be my daily ride.
My ex. gf's Piaggio NRG 50 mc2, 08/2003.
26K km on the tacho. :)

http://kymcoforum.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=554.0;attach=527
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 07:01:12 PM »
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 11:58:02 PM »
Now that is one of those things that make me say ... It's about time someone thought of that. I HATE checking tire pressure. This will be my next purchase! Thanks axy!!!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 12:00:33 AM »
...no doubt!!

..i'm at least always givin th' tires a swift lil kick...i ruined my first rear tire from not paying attention to pressure..

..lesson learned...

..these would be awesome!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 05:52:09 PM »
...no doubt!!

..i'm at least always givin th' tires a swift lil kick...i ruined my first rear tire from not paying attention to pressure..

..lesson learned...

..these would be awesome!

Both stolen after 4 days this afternoon around 1.40 pm, in front of the office where I work.
They stole also sensor caps from Fazer 600 of my colleague and Suzuki 600 of another colleague.
We have cctv and a camera in front, so I went to the guard to check the recording on fast forward. Two school age kids (10-12) were fooling around and noticed caps on Fazer. They were faking that one of the kid's inflatable baloon he was carrying fell to the ground, so they knelt down and stole both caps. After few minutes, they gave the same treatment to my scoot 30 meters away and finally, Suzuki. Of course, the faces are not recognizable because the resolution is rather low.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 08:48:20 PM »
Both stolen after 4 days this afternoon around 1.40 pm, in front of the office where I work.

...the world is going to hell........

TRESVN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 09:34:27 PM »
I have tire caps like that on my truck they have been there 2 years and never stolen. Mine are a lil diff tho they are green if above 36psi or so and they get clear if the pressure is low.
04 vitality 50 2t

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 12:26:56 AM »
Micheal Crow Cop! I KNEW his name would come in handy...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 12:28:56 AM »
Micheal Crow Cop!

..what does that mean??...

???

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()