Author Topic: Mirror extender  (Read 4466 times)

jesionowski

• View Profile
Mirror extender
« on: May 03, 2012, 01:08:13 AM »

As we all know the OEM mirror gives a realy nice view of your shoulders. The extenders for sale only kick the mirrors out about 2 inches.  So I made my own. They seam very solid so I am not anticipating any fatigue issue. The components are aluminum and a stainless steel bolt, and locking nut. $3 for the fasteners and about $3 for the aluminum bar. So $6 for two or $3 a piece.  If you are going to try making these...ebay for the material, and the bolt is M8 x 1.25, ACE hardware. I will eventually paint then black.
Igonorance is never better than knowledge

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Mirror extender
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 03:34:30 AM »
Paint it flat black now!!!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 06:25:24 AM »
I found using bar end mirrors, AND laid down adjustable give me the best view. I can see the road, and set the bar ends to catch the blind spot. Since you're gonna paint them... grind the 90*corners to get rid of the home spun look. A+ for the work!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 06:43:16 AM »
I don't know about you guys but in my country, side mirrors are the first thing to go after buying a new bike. People here like to squeeze in very tight places just to be at front. Between cars, narrow alleys, pedestrians, etc. Side mirrors sticking out makes it difficult to do this.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 06:58:33 AM »
I TOTALLY agree the mirrors are a real nuisance. Drunk Rednecks with big trucks are even worse tho. I've dropped my scoot a few times, and have been lucky they stay in one piece. I do keep them loose enough to spin out of the way tho.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 07:04:43 AM »
But when a law was passed that all must have mirrors, people just place short mirrors where they can see their stomachs.   http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/dhunter52/motor%20cycle%20pics/GEDC0369.jpg

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 02:47:36 AM »
Those are the adjustable type I mentioned to lay down. The grips on that scoot... I have the exact same on the ZX. 7.98 shipped on ebay. They are super comfortable on a scoot but would fall apart on a dirt bike/full race scoot. Just a soft rubber core with a couple Thin metal bits held on by habit.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 03:04:31 AM »
You can get them here in any bike store. And cheap. We don't buy online here, there are lots and lots of stores you can come in and just ask or point to any stuff you want. Try 'em on your ride and exchange/return if it doesnt fit.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 11:19:02 AM »
I envy that! Just no real scooter market here. But if you want fake eyelashes for your toyota they are in every store you pass.
http://carlashes.com/
The US is FULL of un needed sh**! But nothing worth having. Go figure...

jesionowski

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 12:04:37 AM »
Paint it flat black now!!!

OK, its black and I finshed the other one. Did a test ride with the new set up. Wow. I wish I did this three years ago.

Igonorance is never better than knowledge

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 12:26:05 AM »
Much betterer!
On a side note... Your garage looks like a bomb factory. I'd sleep in the yard!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 01:35:50 AM »
Much betterer!
On a side note... Your garage looks like a bomb factory. I'd sleep in the yard!
a crack laboratory....

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 01:15:28 AM »

jstluise

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 05:10:56 AM »
I made some mirror extenders that I have been meaning to share.  I was inspired by these from another thread:

http://www.luckybike.com/servlet/-strse-608/Motorcycle-Mirror-Riser-Extenders/Detail

I made use of some scrap aluminum and a mill at work to make these:

They give me just enough to see past myself.  No longer do I have to tuck my arm to check behind me.  I'm waiting for a project at work that needs to get anodized, then I can just throw these in with the batch  8)

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 05:32:06 AM »
Great job!!!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 05:57:51 AM by Vivo »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()