Author Topic: Valve Clearance Check, How-To?  (Read 4761 times)

SonicSix

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
    • My Scooter Site
Valve Clearance Check, How-To?
« on: May 05, 2012, 11:28:54 PM »
I just did my own initial service (thorough inspection, oil change and gear oil change) on my new Like 200i.  Very easy to do, especially if you use a 60cc feeding syringe to add the new gear oil. Anyway, I have not been able to find instructions on how to do a valve clearance check on this scooter.  None of the owners or service manuals I have been able to find mention this procedure. Anybody have a source for this procedure?
2012 Kymco Like 200i Black and Blue
White Bell Revolver EVO Modular Helmet with Dark Smoke Shield
States I have scootered in...

bebo55

• View Profile
Re: Valve Clearance Check, How-To?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 11:47:17 PM »
I'm looking too.  Want to do the adjustment myself.

SonicSix

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
    • My Scooter Site
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 12:42:37 AM »
It doesn't appear to be a big deal.  I took off the battery cover and the access cover where the valve cover is. It is very easy to get to, just a matter of removing the cover bolts and doing the adjustment (if needed). I am still looking for a little more info before I attempt it.

bebo55

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 03:49:19 AM »
The front cover... sweet!  i changed oils today.  I only got 100 mL of gear oil out of the hub and put 200 mL of new in.  The manual says 200 mL capacity (0.2 liter) so oddly either 100 mL stayed in, and now have 300 mL (not likely); or kymco didn't put enough in at the factory. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 03:52:47 AM »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

SonicSix

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
    • My Scooter Site
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 01:39:46 PM »
I've seen that video elsewhere on the board and it is helpful, but I would like to see some documentation about the valve clearance settings specifically for the Like 200i. I have seen 2 different numbers so not sure what is correct.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 11:30:21 PM »
To be Positive I would call three different Kymco service dealers. Average out what they say. I found adjusting HOT works best for me. I run it for an hour, and adjust the free play out of them. The rockers still slide back, and forth easily but no free play.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 01:16:29 AM »
Valves on all scooters are adjusted COLD. Every shop or owners manual will tell you this. Have been doing this longer than many of you are old.

The valves should be set at .004 both exhaust and intake.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 03:55:19 AM »
I have been working on engines for 40+ years. They are set cold. I am giving a personal "tip" that I have learned. Once the engine cools off check the clearance. It will be Close to .004 but actually it will be EXACTLY what THAT engine needs.
The idea of the gap is to allow for expansion of the metal parts. There is NO WAY of knowing exactly what your engine needs unless you find out. The way I suggest will tell you.
No need to worry about it. I adjust all engines hot to eliminate ALL backlash. Cold is for newbies.

Ps.... never broke a valve.

bebo55

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 11:21:49 PM »
somehow I input the best search string ever and stumbled on this gem.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()