Author Topic: My scooter is top heavy  (Read 4626 times)

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
My scooter is top heavy
« on: September 02, 2013, 07:29:02 PM »
I have the Xciting 250, smaller sibling to the xc500.  As far as I know the only difference between these two scoots is the engine size and thereby the dry weight, 407 pounds vs 473 pounds, making my 250 lighter by 66 pounds.  The frame is exactly the same.

It also appears that my engine is mounted higher than the 500's, as there are two lonely threaded holes in the lower part of the frame just forward the center stand.  So the 250's engine is not only lighter but as you can see from the picture mounted quite high in the frame.

What I would like to do is to lower my center of gravity by adding 30# to the frame.  I'm considering steel plate mounted just below the engine, 7" x 10 3/8" x 1 1/2" thick, bolted through the aforementioned holes and resting on the tubular section of frame.  It sounds simple in theory but I know it adds stress to the frame and if it came loose could have devastating results.  Anyone have a better idea, I chose a smaller displacement bike so my learning-to-ride teenagers wouldn't get into trouble by grabbing too much throttle, so won't be trading up.

Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: My scooter is top heavy
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 01:30:47 PM »
(I was going to say that if your scooter is top heavy - you could try Jenny Craig, or nutrisystem, for a few months. But I won't say that.)

Wow, I will be interested in what the veteran scooterists here have say about this.
Me, I've added 1/2 of the Craftsman tool isle to my underseat box. Just in case.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 02:14:15 PM »
No, this scooter is top heavy.

2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 01:37:24 AM »
Will you benefit a lot from all of the efforts?

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 03:39:28 AM »
Probably.   :)

At this point I'm leaning toward 3" ABS drain pipe filled with lead.  I think I can pick up some lead at the local shooting range, or perhaps some used wheel weights at the tire shop, and melt them down. 

Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 03:42:09 AM »
I would definitely benefit from Pimpy's top heavy scooter.
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 09:41:52 PM »
The cheapest lead is from wheel weights because of the steel mounting brackets in them,
which should not bother your application.  I would just pack them tightly in the pipe and not worry about melting them.

scoot safely,

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

cnydreamr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 12:09:10 AM »
How about lowering the suspension? Lower profile tires? Maybe shave the seat to lower the rider? Just thinking out loud, not sure if adding weight wouldn't affect handling negatively

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 12:56:53 AM »
My original point was that my scooter's frame and suspension were engineered to carry 66 additional pounds of dead weight, lower in the frame.  The bike fits me fine, that's why I bought it.  :)
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 01:23:36 AM »
Me like top heavy scoots................ ;)

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 01:44:02 AM »
I think Pimpy1 should post that "top heavy" picture under the "head lights" thread.
People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 01:48:50 AM »
I think Pimpy1 should post that "top heavy" picture under the "head lights" thread.

Nope, under my "airbag jacket" thread...

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 05:32:45 PM »
A little extra weight in the right place can be a good thing...   and dramatically improve handling...   ;D

Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 05:54:09 PM »
DISCLAIMER:  FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!!  THIS IS NOT A DIY PROJECT FOR ANYBODY BUT THE CLINICALLY INSANE.

ABS pipe was hard to come by, and my tire shop wouldn't sell me lead without talking to the owner who wasn't there, so being the impatient type used what I had on hand.  I stuffed a 4" drain pipe with rebar and filled the gaps with hydraulic cement, drilled out the threaded inserts in the frame and ran a 12" length of 3/8 threaded rod through the holes, threw in a couple fender washers for spacers and tightened it up.  I don't have a scale at my house but would guess it weighs in at 30 pounds.

For the safety police, I am a belt and suspenders kinda guy and will ultimately secure the pipe to the frame crossmember with a couple of stainless hose clamps.  And for the fashion police the green and white will be painted black.

All I can say is holy sh*t the scooter handles like a whole new machine!  Happy happy happy!!   ;D

Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 06:05:29 PM »
And any additional steel should help activate traffic sensors at intersections.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()