Author Topic: Just gave myself my first scooter lesson  (Read 4288 times)

fangirl

• 2013 Kymco Like 200i LX
    • View Profile
Just gave myself my first scooter lesson
« on: September 04, 2013, 10:32:39 PM »
I bought my scoot on Friday.  I have resisted trying it out since then, but today... no more.  I have NEVER ridden a motorcycle or scooter before.  Things I learned on my little cul de sac test.

1.  The scooter is heavier than it looks.
2.  Downhill and slow is harder than uphill and quick.
3.  It is physically tiring.
4.  A scooter does not maneuver like a bicycle, but it is easier to balance on.
2013 Kymco Like 200i LX - Newbie

Momma bear

• View Profile
Re: Just gave myself my first scooter lesson
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
I hope you take the Ryder class. You will learn so much. There are also some very good videos on the web that are very informative.  When I fist got my scoot I road around my neighborhood for the first few runs. Slowly my confidence grew and I ventured out more. I still keep my major road driving to a minimum but will go a few miles on a 60mph road to get to a nice scenic ride. Be patient with yourself and safety at all times.
Good luck
People300i

fangirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 11:44:41 PM »
I am all about safety.  I am taking the Motorcycle Rider Safety Course next weekend.  I just want to have at least a tiny level of confidence before the class.  My plan is too eventually ride it to work and around town on surface streets.  No interstate riding for me.  I hope that other members of the class are as inexperienced as I am.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 12:11:23 AM »
While the class is made up of all experience levels it is geared toward the individual.

While you learned a few things riding your scooter for the first time, you have to admit it was fun. You're doing fine. Enjoy the course. You'll be riding with confidence before long and enjoying the ride.

kajungirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 12:50:17 AM »
I rode for a few weeks before my safety course. Was very happy I got comfortable on it 1st, I was even driving to work.
Got to class was ready to start scooter riding and was informed someone would have to drop the class because there wasn't enough scooters some were broke. Well I was on vacation and it wasn't going to be me......anyway was able to go back home get my scooter and use it for the class. I was extremely happy about that because all they had was Chinese junk anyway.

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 01:50:44 AM »
Don't use the Rider Safety Course to learn to ride your scooter.  Use it to learn to ride better, safely, and properly.  Take your scoot out on quiet neighborhood streets and get used to stopping, accelerating, turning and weaving.  Make quick stops (slow, quick stops until you feel more comfortable).  Get collapsible cones from Wal-mart and get used to anticipating the weave and where your tires are.  The more you are comfortable with going into the class, the more you can learn from the teacher(s).
People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

tclhb

• View Profile
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 01:40:11 PM »
Don't use the Rider Safety Course to learn to ride your scooter.  Use it to learn to ride better, safely, and properly.  Take your scoot out on quiet neighborhood streets and get used to stopping, accelerating, turning and weaving.  Make quick stops (slow, quick stops until you feel more comfortable).  Get collapsible cones from Wal-mart and get used to anticipating the weave and where your tires are.  The more you are comfortable with going into the class, the more you can learn from the teacher(s).

This is also a great way to develop bad habits!! 

Watch some videos on YouTube first.  Some things won't seem right, or won't make sense till you try them, like counter steering.  Also, NOT looking at an object in the road you are trying to avoid and when you weeve, you stay upright and let the scooter do the work of weeving. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 01:47:05 PM »
Good for you, fangirl! Go to the MSF class and have fun learning. I learned lots of stuff and I had over 20 years of motorcycle riding years ago. They will make your transition quite easy and a lot safer than you developing bad habits all by yourself. Practice after the class.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 04:59:14 PM »
The MSF is well worth the time. Here in Oregon it used to a way to avoid taking the DMV road test but now it is required for younger riders. I took it to get my motorcycle endorsement after my California one had lapsed. It was a great way to get back into the swing of riding with your head in the game. The training covers a lot of the maneuvers we use as riders but also how to avoid sticky situations in traffic. Enjoy your new scoot and ride safely! ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 09:31:33 PM »
It IS heavier than you'd think, isn't it?!
I still watch myself so I don't dump it - and at 6'3", 250lbs you'd think that would not be a concern.
Too pretty to scratch!
Enjoy the class - I took it with my son a few weeks ago. Got lots of ribbing since I was the sole scooter person - and had to take the class on a Yamaha dirt bike! (miserable machine!) But it didn't bother my scooter riding the day after (it's a brake, not a clutch! I kept reminding myself)

I wobbled around my neighborhood for a couple of weeks - then got my son to follow me in a car so I could get down to a big school parking lot for more practice. I was more worried about what was going on behind me than in front in those days (still am, sort of) More evenings in the lots, just getting the feel of stopping and starting.

Found I did better on very smooth surfaces - so as not to upset my riding and thinking!

Did the break in procedure per the owner's manual for the full 1,000 miles!
I also used this period to 'break in' myself to scooter riding.
Went out very early in the morning for my rides to avoid sharing the road with cars....and did this for a couple of months. Still prefer to do my distance riding very early. (starting out before daylight!)
Have 2600+ miles on it now and scoot uses no oil between changes.
Feel like I'm still learning ..............
My biggest tip would be to wear a very bright day glo armored jacket. VERY bright colors ---- I actually see the drivers spotting me in my day glo yellow ....and they wait for me to pass before turning or pulling out.
Other jackets look cool - but the day glo yellow is spotted by drivers. Cannot stress that too much - the vests are good - but a full jacket of day glo yellow is better.
Enjoy yourself - these things are a blast - I just need to sleep in - 5 AM I'm scootering work days and week ends! Since mid April!
Be safe, Stig in Ohio farmlands
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:33:47 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

fangirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 05:58:54 PM »
Thank-you all so much for your tips and encouragement!

I have been watching Youtube videos, reading blogs, and just printed the MSF Scooter class manual.
I plan on getting a fair bit of practice in this week before the class.  I don't have any big parking lots nearby, but I can practice on my neighborhood streets.

As far as I know, I will likely be the only scooter in the class, but I can use my own scoot and not one of their trainer motorcycles.

I have a white full-face modular helmet and have bought reflective safety stickers to put on it.  I have a day-glo yellow helmet on order.  I have also purchased a day-glo safety vest with reflective panels, and jackets with reflective panels.  I plan to be as visible as possible.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 08:16:47 PM »
  I plan to be as visible as possible.
[/quote]

Good on you, young lady!
I'm a pretty quiet guy - but I want my good self to be loud in driver's eyes!
I tried for a dayglo yellow helmet - but could only find one brand that fit my monster head correctly (XXXXL~!) No day glo, so purchased white.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 03:00:25 PM »
Thank-you all so much for your tips and encouragement!

I have been watching Youtube videos, reading blogs, and just printed the MSF Scooter class manual.
I plan on getting a fair bit of practice in this week before the class.  I don't have any big parking lots nearby, but I can practice on my neighborhood streets.

As far as I know, I will likely be the only scooter in the class, but I can use my own scoot and not one of their trainer motorcycles.

I have a white full-face modular helmet and have bought reflective safety stickers to put on it.  I have a day-glo yellow helmet on order.  I have also purchased a day-glo safety vest with reflective panels, and jackets with reflective panels.  I plan to be as visible as possible.

I don't wear a reflective helmet but I do wear a reflective safety vest, day or night, over my armored riding jacket.  Yes, it gets pretty warm in town since I live in Texas, but it is worth it to make sure I have a higher chance of other people seeing me. 

I got the idea from my dad who rides with a lot of reflective materiel on him.  One morning, very early, I drove behind him on the road and was amazed at how he stood out because of the reflective materiel.  A guy on a blacked out Harley, wearing a black vest, and black helmet rode past him and if it wasn't for the guy's tail lights, I would not have been able to see him at all. 

I would rather not be stylish and stay alive than to be stylish and dead. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 11:25:18 PM »
Motorcycles and scooters are very physically tiring when you first start. As you get better, you will relax and loosen your grip on the controls. Remember the handlebars are controls. If your arms are stiff, they resist steering. Breathe and look where you want to go.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()