Author Topic: 2006 KYMCO Agility 50 boss help  (Read 7456 times)

Bgwhite11

• View Profile
2006 KYMCO Agility 50 boss help
« on: September 06, 2013, 03:04:36 AM »
Just bought a used 2006 a50 with 6000km on it.  The machine both runs and looks great.  On flat roads, I top out at 33mph.  I heard about cutting the CDI, but saw warnings about the "variator boss".  Could anyone give me a link for an unrestricted smooth boss? I don't have the tools to grind the stock boss either.  Also, any chance for a step by step installation procedure?

I'm assuming the CDI mod and boss change would get me to 40mph or so?

Thanks!

wheelsoffreedom76

• View Profile
Re: 2006 KYMCO Agility 50 boss help
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 03:44:11 AM »
Pictures and info on changing the drive boss.
http://www.scootertherapy.com/bosspage.html

One of the sources for the unrestricted boss.
http://www.racingplanetusa.com/drive-face-boss-vario-bushing-naraku-racing-unrestricted-20x38mm-p-336-1.html?cPath=2_122_586&sessID=c82c990397a5ae515d17d27cf9c57e1c

The AG50 I had would do an indicated 43 mph with unrestricted boss and #82 main jet. Cutting the CDI raised top speed further depending on the wind, road, etc.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 01:16:46 AM »
to get the best out of your scoot you will need to do all 3.
82 jet
drive boss
cut cdi. box. ps you cut the box not a wire.

Bgwhite11

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 05:34:12 PM »
Awesome, thanks to the both of you.  Ordered the boss, now I'm looking for an #82 jet.  I'm super new to this stuff, do you guys have a recommendation for a site to buy from?

Thanks again!

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 05:45:07 PM »
My experience with mine matched wheelsoffreedom almost exactly.

Starting from stock (30mph)
82 jet and unrestricted boss got me an indicated 42, 39 on the gps.

I decided not to cut the stock cdi so that I could put the scooter back to stock if I wanted or needed to in the future. I got an unrestricted cdi from scooterassassins and I never found where its true top speed was. Here's why. Cutting the stock cdi does not disable the rev limiter, it makes it trigger at higher revs. The one I replaced it with is a race unit with no rev limiter at all, and it would have been quite possible to rev it all the way to destruction, I just made sure to back off if I started to hear valve chatter.

With the stock valve springs, and all transmission weights and springs stock, I could get an indicated 47 before that happened (45 on gps) I wanted higher revs available so that I could tweak the transmission without losing top end so I put on heftier springs at the same time as doing the rollers and clutch springs for better takeoff and less bogging uphill.

It worked and I could get an indicated 49, 47 on gps, before being warned to back off by the chatter. I was tempted to emulate wordslinger and get a photo with the needle pegged, because I'm sure it would have got there, but I never pushed it that hard.

Rode it for two trouble free years in that configuration, only things I had to replace were plugs, headlight bulb and the battery when it started showing its age and not holding a charge. Sold it when I needed the garage space for the Xciting 500.

(Edited to clean up formatting)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 05:49:31 PM by ScooterCommuter »

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 10:25:44 PM »
monsterscooterparts.com   or try.
scooterparts.com

Bgwhite11

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 08:07:40 PM »
Ok, got the boss and opened the kick cover.  The crankshaft nut will not come off.  It's on there really tight.  I can't keep the gear from spinning every time I try to loosen the nut.  Any tips? I'm desperate lol

wheelsoffreedom76

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 08:29:51 PM »
  If you have a Sears store nearby they have filter pliers that works as if it were built just for holding a variator. I think I gave around $15 for them. The teeth in the pliers actually fit the variator starter teeth just right.

An impact wrench works good to remove the nut as well, but you will still need a way to hold the variator when you go back together so you know how tight you are getting it.

Bgwhite11

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 09:20:54 PM »
Interesting.  I could give those a shot.  Do you know the size by any chance?  Just looking online I can see 9", 12", 15.5", ect...

Also, one more question.  I live in Boston and my commute consists of waiting at several stop lights.  What would be the best roller weight to use?  I think the ones in the variator are worn too much, as acceleration is spotty at certain times.  I want rollers that would be light enough for peppy acceleration but not so light that my top speed is reduced too much, since I travel on up to 35mph roads.

Thanks for everyone's help!  Starting from ground zero when it comes to basic mechanical work, I've had my scoot for about 2.5 weeks now.

EDIT: Oh yeah!  Today I stalled at a stop light when I gave the scoot gas after the light turned green.  Anyone know what that's all about?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:23:12 PM by Bgwhite11 »

wheelsoffreedom76

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 12:50:07 AM »
  The part # on the pliers is 47371. I bought them several years ago so don't know if the number is still valid with sears, but they should have something similar. These look like the same, just different number.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-adjustable-oil-filter-pliers/p-02820520000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

The stock rollers are 6.5 grams on the agility. 5-5.5 grams is a pretty good mix of better acceleration and retain top end.

When you stalled at the light was it idling normally prior to throttle up? Was it fully warmed up?

Bgwhite11

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 01:23:54 AM »
  The part # on the pliers is 47371. I bought them several years ago so don't know if the number is still valid with sears, but they should have something similar. These look like the same, just different number.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-adjustable-oil-filter-pliers/p-02820520000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

The stock rollers are 6.5 grams on the agility. 5-5.5 grams is a pretty good mix of better acceleration and retain top end.

When you stalled at the light was it idling normally prior to throttle up? Was it fully warmed up?

That must've been it--I was in a rush this morning to get to class, she only got 30sec-1min idle warm up time.  It idles consistently usually, it was also 10 degrees or so cooler today compared to recent days.  Maybe I'll clean the carb and jets a bit.  I'm learning slowly but surely! Thanks wheelsoffreedom!

Bgwhite11

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 01:20:56 AM »
OK, I finally installed the new variator boss and cut the cdi.  The first ride was great, it got up to 44 or so, maybe a little faster downhill.  The next two rides got progressively worse and now my scooter tops out at like 25 on flats, which is thoroughly depressing and aggravating--after all I spent hours removing the old boss and installing the new one(with 0 experience).  Anyone know whats going on?

When I pulled off the old boss, the variator came off with it and the weights spilled out.  The stock weights have one bare metal end and another coated in the plastic sheathing.  I wasn't sure which side to put which so I ended up just putting all of the sheathed ends facing counter clockwise in the roller seats.  I then put the back piece that holds the rollers in place back on and slid it slowly back onto the scooter.  Then i put in the new drive boss, looped the belt back on, and reinstalled the crankshaft gear with the nut on the end, reallllllly tightly like it was before.  Bolted the cvt cover back on and then that was it.  It sounds like the engine isn't getting up to full rpm, which doesn't really make sense to me because I only touched the drivetrain and not the engine itself, right?

Also, when I pulled into my driveway and came to a stop, the scooter instantly stalled and cut out.  The electric starter is broken so I always kick start it in 1-2 kicks, but it literally took 40 plus kicks to finally start.  Plus after reinstalling the cvt cover, it felt as though the kickstart lost some of it's resistance, almost like the bendix gear was seated wrong.  But I specifically remember seating it properly(because I knew I could onlyyyy start it with the kick start).  Normally it idles perfectly fine too.  I'm lost and confused, what the hell could I have done to cause such issues?

I don't know what went wrong, a quick google search yielded a few possibilities like broken springs, clutch stuck open, and some others....

PLEASE HELP, so frustrated by this.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 01:55:41 AM by Bgwhite11 »

wheelsoffreedom76

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 04:00:07 AM »
  Does it start and run normally on the center stand? Have you tried revving it on the stand to see if the engine acted funky? Next would be pulling the cvt cover to see if something is hung up. You indicated your scoot had done a lot of miles with the restricted boss before you changed it. Was the variator worn in where the rollers had been stopping when it was restricted? Also the torque driver may have worn a notch in the slide grooves at it's previous max travel.

Bgwhite11

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 09:37:43 PM »
So it runs ok after a good warm up, but I'm having trouble with mid range torque/acceleration.  For example: 0-20 is pretty consistent; 20-35 is very slow but the rpms drop a bit and slight inclines bog down the scooter much easier than usual; and after 35 or so the rpms pick up again and I accelerate consistently to the top speed of 44mph.

Not sure what to do next.  I'm not sure how to check the torque driver, and I checked the rollers and they don't have any flat spots.  When I pulled the variator boss off, 3 plastic V shaped pieces came off with it.  I couldnt figure out where they were supposed to be and all videos I have seen about changing the rollers don't include them, so I just left them out and put the cvt back together.

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 02:48:24 PM »
I used a locking vise grip and it worked just make shere you have two people makes the job easy used the the side that has the laver on it and just stuck it in there and pushed it agisnt the teath

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()