Author Topic: Agility do not start  (Read 2294 times)

dtjmsy

• View Profile
Agility do not start
« on: September 07, 2013, 04:20:06 PM »
Hello every one,

A few months ago I putted my agility under heavy rain, I tried to start it with the button, no start, then I tried with the kickstart same problem, it just make some noises but no start :-[. So
I bring the scooter back home and put it in the garage for a while, I guess that the battery is now empty as I don' t need immediate use of it

This morning, I came accross this website, and I would like to make another try, I remove the plug spark to clean it and put it back but still no success.

- tried with the kick start as there is no more battery.
- I check the  fuses, they are ok.

Now what do you advice to check next ?

Thanks all

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 04:23:25 PM by dtjmsy »

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
Re: Agility do not start
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 06:19:51 PM »
If the battery is completely discharged, even the kicker won't start it. Agility 50 has a dc cdi and needs some power in the battery to make a spark. If the battery is too low to crank it but still has a little power left you can start it on the kicker, but not if it's completely flatlined.

If water got into your electrics your battery is probably completely flat, and you may still have a short in there. It's possible that draining through a short could have damaged your battery too.

1: charge the battery and take it to a battery shop and get it load tested. If it fails the load test, replace it. If having a known good battery doesn't solve your problem, don't leave it connected between troubleshooting sessions because you don't want it to discharge through a short again.

2: go hunting for shorts with a multimeter. Fix any that you find. Check for loose connectors while you're at it.

3: with the plug removed and grounded against the block, crank it and check for spark. If not, go back to #2 and check again for any shorts or loose connectors you might have missed. Go through the wiring harness with your meter looking for bad runs that may have a break you can't see as well.

4: Good battery, no wiring faults, good plug and still no spark? Now you're looking at replacing stuff. Coil & plug lead or cdi is probably toasted.

If you get all the way down here and still have no spark, I'm out of ideas. If you do have spark and it's still not starting, you're looking at a fuel or air issue.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 10:22:08 PM »
check fuses. and also you have a relay that sits back by the gas tank pull that out and clean and see if that helps . at times that one will even get gas on it from over filling the gas tank.

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 10:43:57 PM »
OP says fuses are Ok, Blue. Good call on the relay though. I forgot about that one.

Oh and for the OP, to prevent the problem recurring in the next rain storm, when you clean and check connectors some dielectric grease will help.

naughty lee

• 64 mph and pushing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 07:56:25 AM »
If the battery is completely discharged, even the kicker won't start it. Agility 50 has a dc cdi and needs some power in the battery to make a spark. If the battery is too low to crank it but still has a little power left you can start it on the kicker, but not if it's completely flatlined.

If water got into your electrics your battery is probably completely flat, and you may still have a short in there. It's possible that draining through a short could have damaged your battery too.

1: charge the battery and take it to a battery shop and get it load tested. If it fails the load test, replace it. If having a known good battery doesn't solve your problem, don't leave it connected between troubleshooting sessions because you don't want it to discharge through a short again.

2: go hunting for shorts with a multimeter. Fix any that you find. Check for loose connectors while you're at it.

3: with the plug removed and grounded against the block, crank it and check for spark. If not, go back to #2 and check again for any shorts or loose connectors you might have missed. Go through the wiring harness with your meter looking for bad runs that may have a break you can't see as well.

4: Good battery, no wiring faults, good plug and still no spark? Now you're looking at replacing stuff. Coil & plug lead or cdi is probably toasted.

If you get all the way down here and still have no spark, I'm out of ideas. If you do have spark and it's still not starting, you're looking at a fuel or air issue.

This is good advice. Once you've done this please reply and tell us if you have a spark

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 11:45:58 AM »
also remmber scoot batterys are like car batterys they need cranking amps to start the bike. so maybe just the cranking amps are low. when that happens to me I take the top off the battery and I add a little bottled water to it let sit for a few hours then charge it it will bring the battery back to live I have a battery that is over a year old with water in it today im still running my scoot off of. works great.

blown455

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 04:30:35 PM »
Hello, I am new here!  I have a starting issue with an agility 50 it seems to be only when warm, it will crank but not fire for
20 seconds or so at times, carb has been replaced and cleaned as well as bystarter and resistor!
Any help would be great!

blown455

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 05:46:40 PM »
I have also checked valve adjustment and spark plug, the bike has about 200 miles on it!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()