Author Topic: Tires Again !  (Read 1914 times)

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
Tires Again !
« on: September 09, 2013, 11:23:49 AM »
           I have about 1500 miles on my GTI and love it. I want to change my front tire from a 110-70/16 to a 120-70/16. I think it would handle a little better and the slightly bigger diameter tire will help correct my slightly (2 mph) optimistic speedometer. I have the stock MAXXI tires on it. I can't find anyplace to buy a new MAXXI tire, or a chart to see if they make the size I want. My other option is to install 2 new Michelin City Grips. I'm 69 years old and want  real good tires for dry and wet road conditions.  Looking for advice  on this situation.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

ophelia

• View Profile
Re: Tires Again !
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 07:38:09 PM »
Most motorcycle shops should be able to order you a new Maxxis tire from the catalog. Michelin City Grips are also very nice tires. Michelin's two wheeler website should have a downloadable catalog for you to browse.

http://www.teammichelin.com/
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 12:09:34 AM »
Michelin City Grips

I must ride in all kinds of weather as this scoot is my work car.
I had these Michelins put on when my scooter was quite new on the advice of several verteran riders here.
I am very comfortable with these City Grips under me in very heavy rains!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 02:55:49 AM »
I might ruffle some features but buy the best tires your money can buy... and they ain't Maxxis. 
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 02:37:42 PM »
           I have about 1500 miles on my GTI and love it. I want to change my front tire from a 110-70/16 to a 120-70/16. I think it would handle a little better and the slightly bigger diameter tire will help correct my slightly (2 mph) optimistic speedometer. I have the stock MAXXI tires on it. I can't find anyplace to buy a new MAXXI tire, or a chart to see if they make the size I want. My other option is to install 2 new Michelin City Grips. I'm 69 years old and want  real good tires for dry and wet road conditions.  Looking for advice  on this situation.

Forget about the stock tires, I wouldn't use them if I got them for free, they're fine for a few months
and/or maybe 3000 miles and on the other hand the City Grips are one of the best money can buy.

Also, DO NOT change the front tire size, you'll get a much slower steering bike, worse fuel consumption,
absolutely nothing good. The 110 is there for a reason.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 11:00:39 PM »
Put a pair of Pirelli Diablo Scooter tires on my Scarabeo with similar 16" wheels. Really impressed with the grip and ride. Not too expensive either. When the time comes to replace the Maxxis on my GTi, I will either get the Diablos, or maybe try a pair of Shinko 567/568s. I recently put a Shinko on my Moto Guzzi Stelvio and am delighted with the performance.

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/motorcycle/sheet/diablo_scooter.html?url=%3Fsubtype%3Dscooter

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/product.php?id=56
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()