Author Topic: Handle Bars slightly off alignment with from wheel.  (Read 1128 times)

pg1961

• View Profile
Handle Bars slightly off alignment with from wheel.
« on: September 09, 2013, 06:40:47 PM »
Just tried to adjust the alignment of my steering wheel to the front tire and cannot figure it out.  The handle bars slide into a ventricle groove in the front of the stem and the locking nut has a horizontal groove in the back of the stem.  There is very little to no play at all at that location. 

So I figure the only other location for adjustment is at the bottom end where the steering stem attaches to the fork support casting.  Is there a way of making an adjustment here without taking the whole front end apart ?

I know I am being a bit fussy here but you can feel and see the alignment issue when riding.  It's like hold the steering wheel of your car at 10 and 1.75 instead of 10&2.

2008 Super 9

P

ophelia

• View Profile
Re: Handle Bars slightly off alignment with from wheel.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
Was your bike crashed before? Sometimes the forks get slightly twisted, but loosening and retightening them causes them to relieve tension.

Try loosening the fork clamps above the wheel on both sides and wiggle the wheel and forks around with the front wheel off the ground. Then carefully line the forks level and snug the clamp bolts back up.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

pg1961

• View Profile
Re: Handle Bars slightly off alignment with from wheel.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 01:04:02 PM »
Great suggestion !  Worked great.

P

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()