Author Topic: Lost pressure in front tire. Need help.  (Read 1601 times)

Mscmkr

• View Profile
Lost pressure in front tire. Need help.
« on: September 10, 2013, 04:14:11 PM »
Hey everyone, I have checked my tire pressure a couple times in the last week and my front tire was extremely low the first time then down about 3lbs the second time. My scoot sat for about 2 weeks before i checked it the first time. The second check was after about 5 days and the weather is kinda all over the place lately. Its been hot and dry then warm and really humid the last couple weeks. I'm not sure if this is a scooter tire thing or maybe a slow leak. Any input would be great.

Thanks everyone and ride safe, mscmkr

ophelia

• View Profile
Re: Lost pressure in front tire. Need help.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 04:22:20 PM »
See any nails? How old is the tire? Do you have a reliable gauge? What pressures are you using?

I know my Downtown 300i has a rear rim with a tendency to very slowly leak even after tire replacement. I just top up pressure every two weeks.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 04:57:53 PM »
The tire is a little over a month old. The gauge should be pretty reliable. I'm using 25 front and 29 rear. I will probably pick up a new gauge this weekend just to be safe.

Thanks for such a fast reply, ride safe, mscmkr

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 05:05:39 PM »
1.   You can take the wheel off and stick it in a tub of water.
2.   Spray it with some soapy water.
In the winter, I've had tires go flat overnight,   Pumped them
And didn't have any more issues.
(Be sure to remove your valve cap).

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 05:06:55 PM »
If the pressure in the other tire or that of another scoot/car stays steady there's no reason for a new gauge. Sometimes the beed (if you have tubeless) doesn't sit right or you may have a leak in the valve, pull the tube out of the tire or spray some warm soapy water on it and look for bubbles.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 06:42:17 PM »
It may be nothing, with a small tire like you have it's easy to lose a couple pounds just by checking the pressure.  And FWIW I have a bicycle tire that won't hold air unless it's ridden regularly so damit get out there and ride!!
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 02:33:56 PM »
that green slime works good. But if you let your scoot sit a lot I would not use it.
check and see if the bead is level with the rim. or maybe see if the valve stem is tight.
you can tighten that up with a small screw driver.

RubenC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 04:38:30 AM »
It could be the tires themselves.  When we got our Prius in 2007.  The Goodyear tires that were on the car were losing air.  The beads was fine and the valves were not leaking.  We replaced the tires with another set of Goodyear tires.  Still had the same problem.  When we switched to Michelin tires, the air loss disappeared. We are currently using Cooper tires on the car, the tires are doing fine.

We never could figure out why the Goodyear tires were losing air. 

Ruben
From the Great Nation called Texas. Oops I mean the Great State called Texas

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 06:56:02 AM »
that green slime works good. But if you let your scoot sit a lot I would not use it.

I've been reading about Slime. It may corrode some aluminum alloys in wheels. It is only guaranteed for two years, after which it is likely dried and should be replaced with fresh Slime. I'm not sure I'd use it in an alloy scooter wheel, but maybe it might be useful on a small steel scooter rim.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 06:59:58 AM »
Like they said...check for leaks using soap and sponge....if you can't find leaks, it's the tire...

My old tire WITH NO leaks, looses 5 p.s.i. every two weeks....

My new tire lost 1 p.s.i. after three months....

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()