Author Topic: Why so many '09 'new' scooters for sale?  (Read 3521 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Why so many '09 'new' scooters for sale?
« on: September 11, 2013, 08:03:30 PM »
My dealer has a couple of '09 scooters that are new (like 9 miles, etc.) and I've seen several other 'left over' 2009 scooters for sale on eBay and other places. Also, it seems that several of our forum fellows are rideing these 'new, left over' scooters purchased from a dealer's show room floor. 2010's, 2011's, 2012's, etc.
What's the deal? Autos don't sit around unsold for 2 or 3  or 4 years at a dealership....
I purchased my "new" scooter in April of this year....then found the sticker that indicated it was made April 2012!
Had I known they were selling me a year old scooter, as "new", I would have hammered them on the price - or bought somewhere else.

Did dealers misjudge the interest in scooters a few years ago - and over stock? Or is this just a common practice in dealers of scoots?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:06:42 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: Why so many '09 'new' scooters for sale?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 08:37:09 PM »
  I dont think it is the dealers over stocking, its the whole salers who buy in bulk, then try to get the most for them,. the factory puts out the scooters by the thousand and what does not sell, gos on sale to the whole sale probibly for 50 % or less

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 08:42:11 PM »
Consider that '09 scoots were brought to market in '08. Just in time for the absolute lowest levels of the economic crisis worldwide. If there's any model year of any vehicle where you'd expect to find left over inventory, that would be it.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 11:28:11 PM »
after siting in the store for that long dont know if I would by or not.
for sure you would have to clean the carb and maybe even the gas tank.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 11:44:30 PM »
Yes 2008 was not only the peak of the downturn of the economy but a good year for scooter sales. When the sales crashed in 2009 dealers were left with tons of inventory. As dealers failed other dealers bought up the inventory. Hence the glut of 2009.

Should you buy a unit that's been sitting on the floor ? I did.
Last February I bought a "new" 2009 People S200 for 2k out the door with full warranty. I bought from a solid dealer and it has been a great scooter at china scoot pricing.

It's a personal choice but I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 12:03:13 AM »
I agree with AMAC.  I bought my "new" 2009 scooter in 2012 from a reputable dealer, who made sure the scoot was in perfect running order - even replaced some scratched tupperware (two small scratches) for free and I still paid $2k less than a 2012 model would have cost.  They had bought about 20 scooters from a dealership that had failed and were still making a good profit at the low price.  They were happy, and I was happy.  I have had no issues with the scooter after over 3000 miles so far.  I would do the same again.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 01:27:48 AM »
In most parts of Asia, manufacturing date is not an issue, scoots/bikes have the same specs and color year after year... As long as the scoot is unused and clean, it's new... However, if it was neglected in a warehouse, gathered dust and dirt, that's another story... 

The big difference between here and there right now is that the factory cannot keep up with the demand.. Lol!  also our local DMV cannot keep up with the demand of license plates!!! 

Rbt Jean

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 10:35:27 PM »
I have a dealer around me that has four or five new '09 and he told me they stocked up because the gas prices were going up and they thought scooters would sale.  I thought about buying one but he wanted the same price as a new '13. Right now I'm waiting for the '14's to come out and I'll pick one up.

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 12:06:41 AM »
what about the rubber pieces like hoses and tires and what not? don't these degrade somewhat with age no matter the usage? so get a '09 "leftover" and the tires are what, four or five years old already? hmm? and other pieces sitting around "dry." like the fuel lines. this is a-ok?
scoots!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 01:56:29 AM »
what about the rubber pieces like hoses and tires and what not? don't these degrade somewhat with age no matter the usage? so get a '09 "leftover" and the tires are what, four or five years old already? hmm? and other pieces sitting around "dry." like the fuel lines. this is a-ok?

Yes, they degrade... but not really that fast when unexposed to heat and UV.  In reality, it is not an issue to people who know nothing about these tech stuff... but a scary issue to those meticulous consumers. Those who do countless research on what perfect oil to use...Argue about octane, ethanol, and what have you...   I live in a poor country, and a lot of people would use up their tires until fully worn... until no tread is visible... dangerous? of course!  I live in a country where people would rather buy used tires than a new one... And use 85 octane because that's the only fuel they can afford... 

Other school of thought will say that some manufacturers would cut corners with the new models, have more inferior parts than the older models... My old Chinese Chunlan 100cc had a Japanese made carburetor and a 5 plate clutch....  An equivalent new model bike has a Chinese made carburetor and a 3 plate clutch...  The old Agility is a beauty... the new one is not... 

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 12:35:10 AM »
I could be wrong, but I've heard it's something to do with EPA & DoT testing.  You can still order new '09 scooters from the factory because they're still being made for different markets.  The '13 models are high-tech, fuel injected, ABS brakes, whereas the '09 models are standard Chinese GY6 engines, no ABS, etc.  The '09 models, therefore, are much easier to maintain.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()