Author Topic: Another Agility not starting thread  (Read 2198 times)

rigpa

• View Profile
Another Agility not starting thread
« on: September 13, 2013, 03:51:44 PM »
Hello,

For the longest time now the Agility wouldn't start in the morning but would in afternoon.  Then i got it started and was riding it a lot this week and it was consistently starting in the mornings until today, friday the 13th.  Now here's something i did differently.  The agility sits on my covered front porch which has about an 18inch step up.  I get the scoot down and up onto the porch via a big wooden plank.  This morning i got it down via the plank and then tried to start it and nothing.  On the mornings when i started it and then got it down, it did want to die when it was subjected to the angle of backing it down the plank.  Anyone know what is going on here that makes it want to cut out and ultimately not start? 

thanks.

Linda

wheelsoffreedom76

• View Profile
Re: Another Agility not starting thread
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 06:21:49 PM »
    The agility 50 has a feature on the carburetor called a auto bystarter, which enriches the air/fuel mixture under cold start conditions to aid starting and running for the first few minutes of operation. The fuel bowl has a seperate fuel well, or tiny bowl that the auto bystarter mixing tube draws fuel from. This bowl is fed by a tiny orifice in the bottom which allows the tiny secondary bowl to fill with fuel to the level that the fuel rises to in the main bowl, though this takes quite awhile as the orifce is tiny.  Upon cold starting the bystarter mixing tube draws nearly all of the fuel from the tiny bowl as a prime to get the engine started, after that the small mount of fuel coming through the orifice is mixed with air in the mixing tube and is fed through the air passage which bypasses the throttle slide, until the bystarter closes off the mixing tube, and air passageway a few minutes after startup.

The carburetor on the agility does not set level when the scooter is level. It is tilted to the side slightly, and angle up towards the rear of the scooter. When the scooter is on the incline with the engine off the secondary bowl could fill to a slightly higher level, and the level of fuel in the carb may rise to a higher level than normal as well which would also contribute to a richer prime and overall rich starting condition. (possible flooding)

While going down the ramp with the engine running, it is likely still on auto bystarter enrichment, and the carb vent tube air flow is more critical during that time and may temporarily have the inner passage to the bowl covered with fuel while at an incline, and this would cause the engine to stumble. Also the idle jet being towards the front of the carb, and while backing the scooter down an incline the idle jet may temporarily be above the fuel level in the bowl and suck air only causing engine to stumble.

Experiencing cold start problems if the scooter is level and unmoved could also indicate the carburetor needs cleaned and/or the auto bystarter and accompanying orifices and air passages are not functioning correctly.
Here is a great article about auto bystarters. Different brand and model, but same concept.
 http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?title=Bystarter:_What_It_Is,_What_It_Does

There may be some other factor causing your problem as well, but these were the first things that come to mind.

rigpa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 07:15:08 PM »
thank you wheelsoffreedom 76.  i will read this and try and digest.  previously owned a two stroke and never had this problem.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 09:26:47 PM »
thank you wheelsoffreedom 76.  i will read this and try and digest.  previously owned a two stroke and never had this problem.

2 strokes love the cold they are great in the winter time.
4 strokes need carb tuneing when the weather gets cold
sometimes just a bigger jet will help.
I some times let a 75 watt light bulb sit by the scoot for wormth in the shed and that little  helps a lot. a bigger carb with a biger jet is better.

rigpa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 02:09:33 PM »
I was able to start the scooter one time since i posted this and took it for a ride.  since then it has not started at all. charged the battery, replaced the ignition coil and the spark plug over the weekend but still won't start.  is there some kind of fuse or relay switch that might be bad?  also it looks like a real pain in the @ss to get the panels off this thing to do any serious work.  true?  this is a 2007 model that i bought with 6000 miles off craigslist from a guy who kept it garaged.

rigpa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 03:02:06 PM »
i should add that we tested for spark and there was none.  it is getting gas as the plug was wet.  that's why i'm thinking electrical.  if it was a bad cdi would the starter button just not do anything?  When i try to start it now, i hear sound but no firing up.

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 03:19:46 PM »
tested for spark and there was none
Test pulser coil . . section 15 of service manual.  If that is the gremlin . . potential replacement.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()