Author Topic: Gearing problem  (Read 2102 times)

Eherim

• View Profile
Gearing problem
« on: September 18, 2013, 09:00:38 AM »
Hi all.

I am new here, got my Agility 50 - a 2005 model - a few moths ago. So I am quite new to this scooter thing, and don't know a lot about engines and stuff. So please explain this to me as if i am a newbie, because that's what I am.  ;D

Since I got it, it has gotten new rollers, an unrestricted smooth boss and a new cdi-box with no restrictions. Now it runs 43 mi/h downhill. Other than that it used to run perfectly.
___

ANYHOW - Yesterday after a long ride, something went wrong with the gearing. Now it runs like it doesn't shift gears. The engine runs at very low revolutions at slow speeds, but normally at high speeds. This causes it to accelerate very slowly.

What could have caused this problem, and how is it fixed?

Thanks a lot in advance.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:04:46 AM by Eherim »
Give way to trains.

wheelsoffreedom76

• View Profile
Re: Gearing problem
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 12:51:57 PM »
  It sounds like either the clutch pulley is stuck open (contra spring broke? Torque driver bound up?), or the variator has stuck closed ( broken roller? wrong or damaged smooth boss?). Here is a article about cvt operation.
http://www.scooterunderground.ca/knowledge/faq/cvtscootertransmission.htm there are plenty of youtube vids as well explaining the operation.

You could pull the cvt cover and look at where the belt is sitting in the front and rear pulleys and let us know what you find.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 12:55:48 PM by wheelsoffreedom76 »

Eherim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 10:13:06 PM »
Thanks for the very enlightening reply. I will post an image first thing tomorrow.
Give way to trains.

Eherim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 09:26:54 AM »
Manual says:

"Loosen the drive belt air tube band screw.
Remove the eight left crankcase cover bolts
and left crankcase cover."

I have NO idea, what "the drive belt air tube band screw" is, and I am stuck at this point:

Lots of unscrewed bolts and a crank cover still stuck in the highlighted area of the picture.
I am not over exited about using a lot of brutal force.

I told you, I was a newbie. :-)
Any ideas?
Give way to trains.

wheelsoffreedom76

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 12:57:49 PM »
  I believe they are referring to the clamp on the air inlet tube for the cvt housing. That tube comes off the front lower portion of the cvt cover and runs into the floor panel. It usually just has a simple tension clamp which can be squeezed with pliers to release. You can also just slide the tube out of the lower floor area and leave it attached to the cvt cover. Check closely around the outer edge of the cover and make sure you havn't missed any bolts. You will have to wiggle it and pull strait out from the scooter, as the dowel alignment inserts, and the starter clutch will hang things up and sometimes fall out. Once the cover is off, locate the dowel alignment inserts and make sure they stay put. Also if the starter clutch has been pulled from it's rear bushing be sure to push it back into place, and look for the thrust washer that normally rides on the cvt cover end of the starter clutch shaft as it will sometimes fall off.

Eherim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 02:59:15 PM »
I have almost no idea of what you are talking about.
I've got a feeling of what you are saying, but most of it is like russian to me. :-)

Anyway, I got the thing open and took a few pix. I would have loved to have it run while open, but for some reason (one you propably mensioned in your post) it wouldn't start up while open. So, I don't know how things look when the revolutions go up and down.

After having taken the pictures, I assembled it and it started just fine again. At first it seemed like it ran a bit better better with better acceleration at low speeds, but went back to very bad as described in my first post after a short run.

Here's the pictures:

I hope you can make something of it.
I really appreciate your help and have already at this point learned a great deal about all this, so thank you very much.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 03:15:10 PM by Eherim »
Give way to trains.

wheelsoffreedom76

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 05:03:17 PM »
  The clutch pulley is stuck open. Likely a broken contra spring, but could just be stuck as well. I think you will benefit the most from watching some youtube vids on removing and disassembling the clutch.

http://www.youtube.com/user/90gtvert?feature=watch
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:09:41 PM by wheelsoffreedom76 »

Eherim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 05:31:19 PM »
Thanks  a lot, man.

I'll give it a go and tell you the outcome of it.
I have a friend who is willing to help me out, if this is more than I can handle myself.
But first I will have a go at it. :-)
Give way to trains.

Eherim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 08:45:26 PM »
Short version:
My mate helped me out, and it works perfectly now.

Long version:
Had problems getting the bolt holding the clutch in place off. I thought, I had figured it all out, using a chain wrench to hold the bell in place put into an iron tube, giving it support from the floor, so it wouldn't slip. I then used an ordinary wrench on the bolt and had a go at it with a hammer in order to loosen it. It didn't work. I couldn't keep the clutch bell from slipping in the chain wrench.

I pulled quite a few hairs out of my scalp at that point.

I texted my friend about my problems, and he replied, I should use an air powered impact wrench. Luckily there is such one in the workshop where I live, but I have never used such one before and didn't know how all the tubes are supposed to fit together in order for it to function. I got an introduction from my neighbor and got started. It seemed to go well. Only it didn't. At. All.

I managed to turn the bolt into something much rounder than a bolt is supposed to be. At this point I said some very bad words in a somewhat loud voice. And pulled out some more hair.

Called up my friend, and he was kind enough to pass by and fix everything up with his magic touch. In a matter of minutes, the clutch and the clutch spring was replaced with new spare parts and the Kymco Agility 50 was once again working like a charm.

So - there I was, a bit closer to having a bald head, thinking that this just might be the beginning of a great career for me in the business of mechanics.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:51:32 PM by Eherim »
Give way to trains.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 02:04:23 AM »
At the start of this thread, you know nothing about mechanicals....

now, you know more than many of the forumers here!...

Great job!   ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()