Author Topic: My scooter days are at an end...  (Read 4064 times)

SonicSix

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
    • My Scooter Site
My scooter days are at an end...
« on: September 19, 2013, 03:15:55 AM »
A little background... some of you know who I am, most probably do not.  I have a spinal cord injury that prevents me from shifting gears with my foot.  As such, I am relegated to riding scooters which is not a bad thing as I LOVE riding them.  I have owned a Honda Ruckus 50cc, a Genuine Blur SS220i, a 250cc Honda Reflex and though not a scooter, a Can AM Spyder RT-S (paddle shift).  I was hit by a truck on July 16, 2013 which totaled my 2012 Kymco Like 200i... and nearly totaled me. Broken collar bone, broken shoulder blade, torn tendon in my right shoulder and banged up overall.  During the course of examining me for injuries from the wreck, they found out I have thyroid cancer. One surgery down, one more to go and then iodine treatments.  I am healing up slowly but surely but still have a ways to go before I am back to "my normal" self. 

That being said, the other guy's insurance is settling up on the scooter and all my broken equipment and I will be buying a new bike.  It will be a 2014 Honda CTX700 DCT motorcycle.  This is a 670cc cruiser style bike that has no foot shifter, can be ridden fully automatic where it does all the shifting on its own or I can use paddle shift. I never knew this bike existed until a few days ago. I am very excited about it.

So my scooter days are over and I will miss my Kymco Like 200i (may it R.I.P.), but I am looking forward to riding a powerful motorcycle again (haven't been able to do so for 23 years now)!  I have enjoyed this forum and the kind folks that utilize it.  Thank you all!

In case anyone is interested in the Honda automatic bikes, they are the CTX700 DCT (cruiser style) and the NC700X DCT (adventure style).  DCT stand for Dual Clutch Transmission which is what does the shifting on the 6 speed gear box.  The bikes are also chain drive and since it is a motorcycle, the maintenance schedule isn't nearly as frequent as a scooter. 8,000 mile oil changes, woohoo!

EDIT:  Once all the legal stuff is over with, I will post the full video of my wreck.  Your jaw will drop.  No time frame for this, though.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 03:21:24 AM by SonicSix »
2012 Kymco Like 200i Black and Blue
White Bell Revolver EVO Modular Helmet with Dark Smoke Shield
States I have scootered in...

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: My scooter days are at an end...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 07:29:28 AM »
We'll miss your pic posts Sonicsix...

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 07:40:04 AM »
You could also choose the Honda Integra (NC700D, same engine, same DCT) which is stilled called a scooter.

But more important: Get well soon!

SonicSix

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
    • My Scooter Site
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 12:14:06 PM »
You could also choose the Honda Integra (NC700D, same engine, same DCT) which is stilled called a scooter.

But more important: Get well soon!

I don't believe this will be sold in the US.  Even it was, $11,000 USD is pretty steep for a bike. As for me getting better, I am... although I am not so sure on the "soon" part. :)
2012 Kymco Like 200i Black and Blue
White Bell Revolver EVO Modular Helmet with Dark Smoke Shield
States I have scootered in...

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 12:48:51 PM »
Enjoy the CTX!  Although I have never owned a bike or scoot with a laid back cruiser-type riding position, the CTX I sat on at the motorcycle show was instantly comfortable.  It's on my list as possible replacement for the Nighthawk.  And it's priced right!  Please post pics when you get it.  Best of Luck!

Wil B.
Broadview, IL

'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'91 Nighthawk
'04 Kymco Super 9
'10 Kymco Yager 200gt
Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"

Rbt Jean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 01:54:08 PM »
Get better, and have a wonderful life.

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 03:03:21 PM »
Well, it sounds like you are on the long road to recovery.  And the fact that the accident led to the discovery of cancer - a blessing in disguise?  I don't know but I am happy that you are being successfully treated for it.

All the best to you on your new motorcycle.  I'm off to check it out online now.

Stay in touch with us.
Somerset County, New Jersey
DT300i

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 12:05:40 AM »
Best of luck to you! : )
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

kajungirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 01:08:29 AM »
Best Wishes to you. Now I am drooling after looking at pics of the Honda lol :)

SaltyDog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 10:30:17 PM »
Hope your recovery goes well SonicSix.   
Also, be sure to drop back in and let us know how the CTX700 is if you indeed decide to get one.  I also ride a cruiser, and admittedly had no idea that Honda even had a cruiser version of the NC700 until I read your post, and may look at that as a replacement someday.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:44:23 AM by SaltyDog »

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 06:31:36 PM »
Wow, glad to hear your OK. Whatever you wind up riding just enjoy it, doesn't mean you still can't check in here with us once in awhile.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
SS,

Good to hear you're on the mend. The Honda CTX has gotten a lot of coverage on the Vespa forum. It a nice bike and one many are adding to their PTW stable. I hope it serves you well. Just because your scooter days are at an end, don't be a stranger. Post pics when you get your new ride.  :D

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 10:30:42 PM »
Hope your recovery time is short and you're back to making those great videos we have enjoyed. The Honda looks cool; a real road burner! Cheers for the future...Len ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 04:01:06 PM »
What SOME people will do to get a new bike! You hang in there and don't be a stranger just because you ain't got a KYMCO. I gotta ask this: What could either you or any of us done differently to avoid that awful crash? This is one of those "pilot things" that put some value into such senseless suffering, something to be learned and you are the Professor today.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 05:02:51 PM »
Take care Sonic -
Hope all goes well for you - and ,of course we'll be interested in your thoughts and video of your accident.
Stay in touch!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()