Author Topic: Mike's Modifications Photo Thread  (Read 4955 times)

Mike-the-Bike

• View Profile
Mike's Modifications Photo Thread
« on: September 22, 2013, 03:07:22 PM »
I've done a few modifications (some visual, some performance) on my 2009 Venox since purchasing it used back in May of this year (2013); here is a full view of the bike as of the other day:

I like the bobbed fender look, so that was the first mod I did; also got rid of the reflectors.  Removed the "Kymco" name from the seat

Painted the lower frame covers gloss black, polished the edges of the cooling fins to a chrome-like sheen (photos don't show this off very well), and colored some bolts blue to match with the Venox tank badges.

I'll add some more photos soon....

Mike-the-Bike

• View Profile
Re: Mike's Modifications Photo Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 12:49:46 PM »
A very easy mod was simply to replace the black plastic valve stem caps with aluminum caps from Cycle Gear:

Mike-the-Bike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 03:32:38 PM »
I polished some bolts with a 320 sanding sponge, cleaned them with acetone, and then colored them with a blue sharpie marker (looks like those expensive anodized bolts).  When the finish wears off, simply re-apply the blue marker ink.  Matches the "Venox" tank badge.

Mike-the-Bike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 05:38:01 PM »
Been busy working these past several months; bike is doing fine--all the new filters seem to have solved the stalling problems.  I also disconnected the breather hose under the instrument pod.  Over-engineered emissions hoses and cannisters created a flaw in the system.

Okay, now that it's been running great and I've got it all polished, I'm now thinking of blacking-out all the chrome and painting the red parts gloss black.  I saw the new 2014 Harley Davidson 750 Street, and am really liking that all black look (wheels, pipes, chrome, engine, etc.).    I haven't found any photos online of a Venox that's been blacked-out. Maybe mine would be the only one?  Anyway, I'll have to wait until Spring as freezing weather and spray paint don't do well together.

By the way, that new Harley 750 is actually 4" shorter in wheelbase than the Venox!  it's also 40 pounds heavier, and has a 100 section front tire vs the 120 of the Venox.   Why would Harley make a Honda Rebel 250 sized 750?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 07:29:18 PM »
Hello Mike,
Pretty bike!
I know nothing about these, but was looking at one on the dealer's floor - wondered if all that metal around the cylinder sides is the water jacket,.....or is it just "filler" to fill in the space under the tank - and make it look like a big engined bike?
Thanks, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Mike-the-Bike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 12:40:11 AM »
The cylinder heads have plates with "cooling fins" that are simply bolted on (and come off very easily with an allen wrench).  Look closely at my photos, and you'll see they are designed by Kymco to make the engine look bigger.  Most people think my bike is a 900 or so; they can't believe it's just a 250.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 02:36:32 PM »
The cylinder heads have plates with "cooling fins" that are simply bolted on (and come off very easily with an allen wrench).  Look closely at my photos, and you'll see they are designed by Kymco to make the engine look bigger.  Most people think my bike is a 900 or so; they can't believe it's just a 250.
That's what I told my son they might be. Have never seen a company do that. Crazy!
Those engineer guys must have been laughing when they showed this to the boss....and must have been amazed when he said, "Cool! Let's keep it!"
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Mike-the-Bike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 09:01:11 PM »
But, the Venox is a great bike; you can pick up a used one for around $2,000.00.  Over 60 MPG, and has the largest frame/wheelbase in the 250 class (bigger than the Yamaha Star 250, the Honda Rebel 250, and the Suzuki TU 250), also has the best HP and torque in the 250 class.  Parts are very inexpensive.  Cruiser bikes are all about looks, so the fake engine plates fit in with that idea.  I've taken my wife for rides, and even with two people (275lbs total), it still has plenty of get-up-and-go!  If you're thinking of getting one, just do it.

RussBees

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 10:19:45 PM »
I, too, have a Venox in Black.  Wonderful machine that surprises everyone on its performance and looks for a 250!  Kymco got it right from the beginning and so surprised and disappointed that they are no longer available in the U.S.A.  My longest trip was a 4 day at 1200 miles last summer.  I would keep it red if were mine.  Sure clean!!  Russ in Iowa

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 01:10:00 AM »
I, too, have a Venox in Black.  Wonderful machine that surprises everyone on its performance and looks for a 250!  Kymco got it right from the beginning and so surprised and disappointed that they are no longer available in the U.S.A.  My longest trip was a 4 day at 1200 miles last summer.  I would keep it red if were mine.  Sure clean!!  Russ in Iowa
Great looking bike!
Thanks for posting!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Mike-the-Bike

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 01:46:35 PM »
Stig,  The main reason Kymco made the engine look bigger is because in many countries, new riders are permitted to ride nothing bigger than a 125, then a 250 for TWO YEARS! So, there is a very good marketing reason for making the bike larger than most 250s.  I think the US should have a graduated engine displacement/licensing system as well--17-year-olds do not need to get a GSX-R1000 or an R1 for their first bike (or even 600s for that matter).

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 02:45:16 PM »
Stig,  The main reason Kymco made the engine look bigger is because in many countries, new riders are permitted to ride nothing bigger than a 125, then a 250 for TWO YEARS! So, there is a very good marketing reason for making the bike larger than most 250s.  I think the US should have a graduated engine displacement/licensing system as well--17-year-olds do not need to get a GSX-R1000 or an R1 for their first bike (or even 600s for that matter).

Amen to that!
My 19 yr old is dying for a bike....he went from looking at 600's to liter bikes !!
What the He-- does a kid need with that much engine unless he's pulling a house trailer!
He's working 2 jobs and going to the University - just hoping he runs out of $$ before spring, or that the insurance will stop him.
I had a 325cc Honda in the late 60's that would do 105mph and haul 2 people.....why do they need anything bigger - esp. for a first bike?
Getting worried in Ohio, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Mike-the-Bike

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 05:53:16 PM »
Dear Getting Worried in Ohio: sounds like your son has fallen prey to the "bigger is better" marketing tactics of manufacturers and is listening to advice from friends "Oh yeh dude! A 1000 is waayy cooler than a puny 600!"  Many 1000cc sportbikes can go 200MPH off the showroom floor.  No matter how good of a kid he is, believe me, when he's riding a liter bike at 60MPH, horns will magically grow from his forehead as he rolls on the throttle.  Images of jumping into hyperspace will flash past in his peripheral vision as the speedo climbs past 110, 125, 155MPH and beyond.  600s can do 150MPH easily. He should get a 300 from Honda or Kawi if he wants a race bike; at least they can't go over 90MPH.  Make him sit and watch all the MotoGP crashes on youtube, then some more on the Isle of Man TT race.  Broken bones hurt.  He also needs to take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation BasicRider Course in your local area.

Tell him a liter bike is in his future if he can ride smaller bikes for a few years.  By the time he's 22, he may have different priorities (hee hee!)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 11:57:43 PM »
Dear Getting Worried in Ohio: sounds like your son has fallen prey to the "bigger is better" marketing tactics of manufacturers and is listening to advice from friends "Oh yeh dude! A 1000 is waayy cooler than a puny 600!"  Many 1000cc sportbikes can go 200MPH off the showroom floor.  No matter how good of a kid he is, believe me, when he's riding a liter bike at 60MPH, horns will magically grow from his forehead as he rolls on the throttle.  Images of jumping into hyperspace will flash past in his peripheral vision as the speedo climbs past 110, 125, 155MPH and beyond.  600s can do 150MPH easily. He should get a 300 from Honda or Kawi if he wants a race bike; at least they can't go over 90MPH.  Make him sit and watch all the MotoGP crashes on youtube, then some more on the Isle of Man TT race.  Broken bones hurt.  He also needs to take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation BasicRider Course in your local area.

Tell him a liter bike is in his future if he can ride smaller bikes for a few years.  By the time he's 22, he may have different priorities (hee hee!)
Thanks Mike,
I may leave this page on his laptop on his desk!
He and I took the MSFB course together last summer.
He aced it....I passed it. (the slow riding part. Nuff said)
History:
I went with him to our big local motorcycle showroom last winter.
To 'look'.
Problem is: I bought a scooter!...at his cycle shop! While he is happy for me...you can guess how well the whole situation went down with him!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Hairy Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 10:58:37 PM »
G'day guys. Yep it's a bloody worry alright. Over here the licencing system used to be that you could ride up to a 250cc on L's. The theory was good, but the only trouble with that was some of those 250 two strokes went like a shower of sh**. Does anyone remember the Yamy RD 250's ? They could blow a 1000 off from a standing start, and young folk with no riding experience at all could jump on something like that. Far out ! So, as you said Mike, the most important thing is rider training and education. And keep drilling it into them that if they stuff up, it's friggin well hurt or God forbid, worse !
So what else can I say except ride safe gang.
Regards, Hairy Bob.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 06:06:30 AM by Hairy Bob »
Damn the torpedoes .. full steam ahead !

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()