Author Topic: Reverse a rear tire if put on front??  (Read 1836 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Reverse a rear tire if put on front??
« on: October 03, 2013, 10:25:10 PM »
I read in a scooter forum post (won't mention the brand of scoot, but it rhymes with 'HIM') that a fellow could only find a 'rear' tire for the front of his scoot - so he reversed the arrows when he put it on since it is meant for the rear, powered end of a scoot.
This does not make sense to me.
Manufacturers put the rolling direction arrows on there for a reason - his thinking eludes me!
Or, am I out there in left field? Again?
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ophelia

• View Profile
Re: Reverse a rear tire if put on front??
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 11:18:11 PM »
They do that with the Honda CBR125R bikes with race rubber. I may be wrong, but I read they do that because the front wheel's biggest load comes from braking, not putting power from the engine down to propel the bike forwards. The body of the rear tire is constructed to tolerate acceleration in a certain direction. Therefore, they turn the rear tire backwards when installed as a front tire.

Usually, we can find distinct front and rear tires from the manufacturer, so we don't have to reverse direction of the tire.

edit: the CBR race tire is Pirelli, but it comes in a rear-only size
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 11:48:32 PM by thesurgeonistherobot »
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 11:44:06 PM »
I read in a scooter forum post (won't mention the brand of scoot, but it rhymes with 'HIM') that a fellow could only find a 'rear' tire for the front of his scoot - so he reversed the arrows when he put it on since it is meant for the rear, powered end of a scoot.
This does not make sense to me.
Manufacturers put the rolling direction arrows on there for a reason - his thinking eludes me!
Or, am I out there in left field? Again?

You get around stig. I saw the same post.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 02:44:09 AM »
They do that with the Honda CBR125R bikes with race rubber. I may be wrong, but I read they do that because the front wheel's biggest load comes from braking, not putting power from the engine down to propel the bike forwards. The body of the rear tire is constructed to tolerate acceleration in a certain direction. Therefore, they turn the rear tire backwards when installed as a front tire.

Usually, we can find distinct front and rear tires from the manufacturer, so we don't have to reverse direction of the tire.

edit: the CBR race tire is Pirelli, but it comes in a rear-only size

The rear tire is also designed to tolerate heavy load, the front tire..more on cornering...

Put the rear at the rear.... front up front... period.

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 07:38:49 PM »
The rear tire for power, front tire for braking/steering can be seen if you get tires with the same name for front and back.  The treads on the front tire will be reversed from those of the rear tire.  Some manufacturers will just have two arrows on the same tire.  One marked front and one marked rear pointing in the opposite direction.  Pirelli SL26's are that way.    Marked  <-- rear -- | -- front -->  One tire.  You flip it to use it on the other end of your scoot. 
People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 10:27:12 PM »
The rear tire for power, front tire for braking/steering can be seen if you get tires with the same name for front and back.  The treads on the front tire will be reversed from those of the rear tire.  Some manufacturers will just have two arrows on the same tire.  One marked front and one marked rear pointing in the opposite direction.  Pirelli SL26's are that way.    Marked  <-- rear -- | -- front -->  One tire.  You flip it to use it on the other end of your scoot. 

I'll be......!
Thanks for the info ...you guys are like Google without the spam!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()