Author Topic: Counter steering  (Read 23351 times)

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
Re: Counter steering
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2013, 12:11:00 AM »
Congrats!
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2013, 08:35:40 AM »
Wow! nice!  ;)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2013, 01:12:46 PM »
Well done, you!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2013, 02:56:50 PM »
I found myself countersteering today while making that sharp little u-turn during my motorcycle license test.  It's not something I thought about doing though.  It was a natural action/reaction. 

By the way, I PASSED THE TEST!!!! 

I hired someone to work with me for a couple of hours before the test and she prepped me very well.  The test was taken on a Honda Elite 250.  Nice little scooter - beat up as it was.

I took the MSF basic rider course with my teenage boys this fall (I already had my license, just wanted to be on the same page as my kids).  There was a young lady in the class who just couldn't get the u-turn skill, so just before her test we spent a few minutes talking it through.  Something clicked, she went out and practiced it over and over and over... and she nailed it!!!  That was such a neat thing to watch.   :)  Sometimes all it takes is for that last piece of the puzzle to drop into place.
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

cochi

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2013, 09:04:57 PM »
Wakeupmaggie, congratulations on passing the test and getting counter steering down. The great thing about riding a two wheeled convenience, is that it's incredibally therapuetic. You will never see a motor scooter parked in front of a psychiatrist's office! cochi :)

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2013, 11:19:51 PM »
Thank you, everyone.  I was riding on my permit for about 18 months, so it was time to get my license once and for all.  I did fail the test a couple of months ago, but kept practicing and was determined to get it right this time.

I went out today for my first ride as a fully licensed rider and there was a smile on my face the whole time.

And while on my ride, I continued to practice and be aware of countersteering!  Scoot on!
Somerset County, New Jersey
DT300i

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2013, 01:01:47 AM »
Thank you, everyone.  I was riding on my permit for about 18 months, so it was time to get my license once and for all.  I did fail the test a couple of months ago, but kept practicing and was determined to get it right this time.

I went out today for my first ride as a fully licensed rider and there was a smile on my face the whole time.

And while on my ride, I continued to practice and be aware of countersteering!  Scoot on!

Hey WakeupMaggie, is there something you should be telling us or does your handle have to do with something other then a Rod Stewart song?
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

GPF590

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2013, 12:44:22 PM »
I found myself countersteering today while making that sharp little u-turn during my motorcycle license test.  It's not something I thought about doing though.  It was a natural action/reaction. 

By the way, I PASSED THE TEST!!!! 

I hired someone to work with me for a couple of hours before the test and she prepped me very well.  The test was taken on a Honda Elite 250.  Nice little scooter - beat up as it was.

Here in PA the test, at least the one given at the end of the safety course, involves a double u-turn (figure eight) while staying within a lined area.  It is done at pretty low speeds and our rider coaches instructed us to use the technique of counterweighting rather than countersteering.  Later on in the test we did do cornering and that was at higher speeds and did involve countersteering.  I will say that the cornering part of the test was almost like a high speed u-turn, although not a full 180.

Now I'm getting myself all confused. :) 

I passed as well, btw. :)

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2013, 01:20:54 PM »
Counterweighting, lol, throw in dragging the rear brake while nursing the throttle be careful Mr. Stig is gonna need the men in white coats if we start duscussing slow speed turns.   ;D

Vivo, do you have the energy to start a new thread?
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2013, 01:23:32 PM »
BTW, congrats GPF590!
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2013, 07:26:02 PM »
YES, the curse-ed "Figure Eight In A Rectangle From Heck"!
I learned this while attempting this manoeuvre  during the Ohio 2-wheeled riding test:

Do not sweat this manoeuvre - if you perform all the other portions of the riding test with no issues, and you do not drop their precious piece-of-crap Yamaha dirt bike, and do not run over the instructor, and do not depart the vicinity - you can fail this "8 Innabox" and still pass the test!

I did, and I did.

"counterweight/countersteer/counterculture/counterhelp/counterbalance/counterfeit/counteroffer/countersink and my favorite - counterclockwise!"

As Jeremy said to The Hamster : "Give it the beans!"
Which is French for, "Go ride your scooter."

Proof that I passed: official state DMV photo from my 2 wheel license.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 07:42:36 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2013, 08:25:54 PM »
lol better than this

Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2013, 08:34:14 PM »
YES, the curse-ed "Figure Eight In A Rectangle From Heck"!
I learned this while attempting this manoeuvre  during the Ohio 2-wheeled riding test:

Do not sweat this manoeuvre - if you perform all the other portions of the riding test with no issues, and you do not drop their precious piece-of-crap Yamaha dirt bike, and do not run over the instructor, and do not depart the vicinity - you can fail this "8 Innabox" and still pass the test!

I did, and I did.

"counterweight/countersteer/counterculture/counterhelp/counterbalance/counterfeit/counteroffer/countersink and my favorite - counterclockwise!"

As Jeremy said to The Hamster : "Give it the beans!"
Which is French for, "Go ride your scooter."

Proof that I passed: official state DMV photo from my 2 wheel license.

My feeble attempt at "the rectangle", followed by avoidance maneuver.  Not too proud of either one but if you look closely there are examples of both counterweighting and countersteering. (btw I LOVED that Yamaha TW200.  Want me one!):

Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2013, 10:03:36 PM »
Here in PA the test, at least the one given at the end of the safety course, involves a double u-turn (figure eight) while staying within a lined area.  It is done at pretty low speeds and our rider coaches instructed us to use the technique of counterweighting rather than countersteering.  Later on in the test we did do cornering and that was at higher speeds and did involve countersteering.  I will say that the cornering part of the test was almost like a high speed u-turn, although not a full 180.

Now I'm getting myself all confused. :) 

I passed as well, btw. :)

Congrats on passing your test!

The first time I took the NJ Motorcycle test in 1973, I had to do a figure 8 but they no longer have that in the test.  And I took the test on my Honda CB350 and honestly, I don't remember if I nailed the figure 8 or not.  I probably could have done it this time with the little Honda Elite I used on Friday.
DT300i

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2013, 10:05:28 PM »
Hey WakeupMaggie, is there something you should be telling us or does your handle have to do with something other then a Rod Stewart song?

My given name is Margaret, but when Rod Stewart's song became popular, people started calling me Maggie. 
DT300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()