Author Topic: FLOOD!  (Read 4050 times)

Vivo

• View Profile
FLOOD!
« on: October 11, 2013, 02:44:43 AM »
Very heavy rain last night, near zero visibility... On my route home, traffic was a stand still... I managed to ease my way up front when I saw more than knee deep of flood water... about 50 meters long... no wonder no car was moving... the road became a big parking lot... Me on my Super 8 and my wife riding pillion, I'm facing this pool of water just like Moses in front of the Red sea... I had to decide.... I need to go home to my bottle of rum... Rain is still strong... I told the wifey to get off and walk across (It would be safer) while I ease my way using the center and highest part of the road with the white lane lines as my guide...water is high.... after about 10 meters going at around 3mph... a big vehicle at the other end decided to go and while he was approaching, I can see his vehicle creating one foot high waves and I figured, wtf... then another vehicle followed him and I felt I was in a multi-wave swimming pool... first wave hit me and my Super 8... my wife almost fell with the force of the waves...water smashed on my headlights... water rose as the second wave hit and my engine began to sputter.... I immediately turned off the engine, got off and pushed the scoot... I approached an intersection where water is rushing across... legs are tired and the water is pushing the scoot to the left... I tried all my strength to push straight and push hard... at last, I got to higher land... placed the scoot on side stand and sat on the side walk...after five minutes, I placed the scoot on center stand... fired her up and it did on one try.... white smoke blew out the pipe indicating the presence of water inside.... revved her up and still more white smoke... then the smoke stopped... then I said to my wife.."c'mon, lets go home" and she said "That's it? I thought earlier we'd be stranded here, get hungry, and might go home late" ... I said "Nope, we'll be home in time for dinner with the kids"....  Thank you Kymco!!!!!

« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 02:46:43 AM by Vivo »

big blue

• View Profile
Re: FLOOD!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 04:27:08 AM »
Vivo, That is an amazing account of an experience that we all hope won't happen to us. In 1996 my wife and I went out of our front door into a boat from our front porch. It was one of those 100 year flood deals that "never happen". I know that in the PIs it is more of a regular event for you. Glad your Super 8 came through and that you and your misses are OK. Keep safe...Len :o
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 05:12:11 AM »
In September of 2009, we were hit by a strong typhoon and flood waters in my home rose to around 15 feet... just an inch below our house's second floor...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 08:39:51 PM »
I said "Nope, we'll be home in time for dinner with the kids"....  Thank you Kymco!!!!!

[/quote]

Good on you and the Mrs., Vivo! Glad the two of you are OK!
Geez, there's one to tell the grandkids, while you're drinking your rum under a tree and they're waxing your scooter.
Sometimes you sound like a Kymco commercial - but I think you have your reasons for your loyalty to these scoots.
If you were better looking they might put you in magazines and on TV.
But, maybe you could do radio for Kymco?
Best wishes - Stig & Bernice
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Nice write-up, Vivo! Glad you and the Mrs. are still with us! Really fortunate neither one of you were swept away and the good ole' Super 8 cranked up. Probably got water in the muffler and no where else.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

GPF590

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 10:13:03 PM »
In September of 2009, we were hit by a strong typhoon and flood waters in my home rose to around 15 feet... just an inch below our house's second floor...

Was that Hagupit, aka The Lash?  I was caught on the edge of that in Macau and my hotel lobby flooded about 3 feet, I can't imagine what the brunt of that was like!

Not sure of the name of the Typhoon, but I seem to remember Hagupit.  It was def. 2009 though.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 11:13:24 PM »
Flood waters can be the worst, all it takes is a large dumb truck driver that cares not about you and you could be swept away, an unsuspected pot hole could also so terrifc damage.

Glad you both made it safe, glad your ride pulled you through.

Maybe keep a small raft with a weed wacker as an outboard on the rack of your bike for such a situation.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 12:20:55 AM »
I need to go home to my bottle of rum...

Slinger and Zombie would say "Brother from another mother my friend".  ;)

Awesome story man  :)
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 02:19:34 AM »
Thanks guys...   :)   I might open her up and do some cleaning when the weather's good.  There's one storm here right now and another coming... Now, I know what my scoot can do... added some confidence riding in the rain...

@GPF590: That was typhoon Ondoy in 2009, international name Ketsana...

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 02:30:14 AM »
Vivo, Glad to hear you both made it home safely.  Sounds like it's time to stock up on the rum and peanuts!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 02:48:17 AM »
Thanks!

For everybody's information, my belt did not slip a bit under water.... There's a thread here on belt slipping in the rain and I think there's just something wrong with their gaskets or bolts or anything...

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 02:30:57 PM »
lol glad you made it Moses. :)  You're story reminded me of this poor guy's misadventures:

Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 08:46:18 PM »
That water got high quick, the rider wasn't too bright for sure. You've got to pick your known points and head for a high spot at all times. Once water reaches your axle level you've got to be very careful to stay out of any current, (Which this guy didn't do) the water just swept him away. I love the point where he figured out is was best to let the bike go and save his own ass.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 01:12:27 AM »
That's crazy! Glad you made it through the high water okay. I can't  imagine that much rain coming down like that. Scary stuff.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 07:38:20 AM »

Not me!!!

« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 07:46:10 AM by Vivo »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()