Author Topic: Valve checking and carb tuning  (Read 2494 times)

The moped learner

• View Profile
Valve checking and carb tuning
« on: October 14, 2013, 03:40:53 AM »
I havnt checked my valve clearance it's way past due is it important that I do it it runs good oh I just installed the new jet i drilled out and put the pod filter on the carb it runs good i didn't ajust the carb I just put the jet in and the filter should i tune the carb after doing that it runs good should i worry about doing any of that or should I
Thanks for the help

Smithg27

• View Profile
Re: Valve checking and carb tuning
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 05:01:03 PM »
Its very difficult to understand what you're saying here. Try using punctuation and proper sentences. It will help people answer questions for you.

But from what I got out of your question, you are asking if a valve adjustment is necessary? If your scoot is new and has few miles it, it is very important to do the maintenance suggested by your owners manual. You really want to break it in correctly. Kymco has these maintenance  suggestions for a reason. Now if your scoot is well broken in its not a huge deal. You will of course get best performance with a well maintained engine. If you always put off the scheduled maintenance, things will add up slowly and can eventually cause problems. I would do the valve adjustment. Its quite simple to be honest. And there are plenty of videos out there to help you. and plenty of threads on this forum to help also.

Now what your asking about the carb... I'm not too sure about adjustments on the carb. I haven't changed mine at all yet. Looking to do so when I have some free time.
Hope this helps.

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 05:37:29 PM »
Yea its well Brock in it has 668 miles on it. I always am up to date on my oil changes and spark plugs. Oh thanks for the help and sorry for the bad grammar

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 06:03:45 PM »
Yea its well Brock in it has 668 miles on it. I always am up to date on my oil changes and spark plugs. Oh thanks for the help and sorry for the bad grammar
Well, 600 miles is about where Kymco says to do the first, and "most important" (Kymco's words) service check on new scooters.
So, I would ease up on riding until I get that taken care of.
Good on you for keeping up with the oil changes - very important! And once you get the valves checked for the first time you should be good on them for quite awhile. Your owner's manual will let you know how oftern to check them with a feeler gauge. Please make sure the engine is bone cold - left overnight is the best, before checking the valves.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 12:58:47 AM »
That's the problem i have to ride it to school and back so i have to find time to do it my friend only has some tools is a feeler gauge like what you use on spark plug gap.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 12:17:38 AM »
That's the problem i have to ride it to school and back so i have to find time to do it my friend only has some tools is a feeler gauge like what you use on spark plug gap.

OK, Try to relax and enjoy your scoot. Chances are the valves are fine.
But you will need , in the near future, to view some youtubes on valve adjustments of our 4 stroke scoots. Find out what your valve gaps should be, buy a cheap socket set and a feeler gauge set and check your valves. Should not take you more than 2 hours as you learn how to get the plastic panels off and do the valves. Watch any one of several videos on youtube to get your confidence up - and have at it.
I would not worry about jazzing up your scoot's performance until you've taken care of the basic servicing (valves, oils) THEN it will last you a great long time and give  very good reliability - which is a heck of a lot more fun than an extra 4 MPH!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Smithg27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 12:34:18 AM »
Forgot to mention that the valves on an Agility 50 are to be set at .04mm
Make sure you do it to .04mm and not .04 inches.
If I remember correctly when I did mine I only had to remove the seat, the underseat storage compartment and the panel behind your heals. Very easy to pull apart and put back together.

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 12:00:07 PM »
Ok thanks my next thing i need to do is change the cdi box to a unrestricted cdi box for the most fun I can tell with the pod filter on and the jet change it really wants speed

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()