Author Topic: Sheesh, why can't Harley riders just be nice?  (Read 3648 times)

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
Sheesh, why can't Harley riders just be nice?
« on: October 15, 2013, 05:13:01 PM »
Well, some are.  I'm married to one.  :)

Today, I rode up to Washington Rock in Watchung, NJ to see the view and a man walks over to ask me what kind of mileage I get on my DTI.

I tell him and then he proceeds to go on and on and on about the merits of a Harley and how they are the ONLY bike in his opinion.

I did not feel the need to defend myself accept to say, why can't I ride what I want and why should you care?  So he proceeded to tell me for a while, how awful my scooter with it's big rear is, among other insults.  LOL!

I finally just stopped responding to him and he finally left. 

I drove off and enjoyed the rest of my ride on this beautiful day.

Somerset County, New Jersey
DT300i

blue

• View Profile
Re: Sheesh, why can't Harley riders just be nice?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 07:59:09 PM »
If ya ever notice they cant wave back when you pass theam on the rd . its eather they have to many gears to shift or are just stuck -up. I think the stuck -up fits theam good. Just dont take a scooter to a harly bar. 

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 09:20:15 PM »
It depends.
I rode a harley for decades and didn't care what the other guy rode. I take my scoot to bike week every year and have gone into a few biker bars without issue.

Yeah there are some A-Holes but there's a a-hole on everything with two wheels somewhere.

Be Big,
AMAC

BTW-Washington Rock is where I lost my...........um car keys way back in the day.
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 09:32:32 PM »

It depends.
I rode a harley for decades and didn't care what the other guy rode. I take my scoot to bike week every year and have gone into a few biker bars without issue.

Yeah there are some A-Holes but there's a a-hole on everything with two wheels somewhere.

Be Big,
AMAC

BTW-Washington Rock is where I lost my...........um car keys way back in the day.

You and a lot of others I suspect.    ;)
DT300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 12:07:03 AM »
What I see often, as I ride my 2 color scoot w/too much chrome and bright yellow armored jacket, gloves and full face helmet - is a sort of chuckled grin from the Harley riders as they pass.....
I'm decked out for Road War on my little scoot and they are riding with a Camel in their mouth and some RayBans, period.

Makes me want to apologize for taking up space on the pavement.

But, they aren't mean - just amused by me and my scoot.
("0" scoots 'round here - but nearly as many Harleys as F-150's)
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 12:30:17 AM »
It depends.

Be Big,
AMAC

True that I ride in a scoot club and we have some a hole in the club we just stay away And let theam act the way they want as long as they drive safe. unsafe driver get kicked out of club.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 01:20:50 AM »
I'm always ready for those harley guy comments.... I just respond in saying... "Is that a SISSY bar you got there?"... or ...   "Your Harley is the safest bike in the world... you can't go fast enough to hurt yourself!!!"....  or ... "Your bike doesnt leak oil, maybe it's empty!"....

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 02:11:27 AM »
What I see often, as I ride my 2 color scoot w/too much chrome and bright yellow armored jacket, gloves and full face helmet - is a sort of chuckled grin from the Harley riders as they pass.....
I'm decked out for Road War on my little scoot and they are riding with a Camel in their mouth and some RayBans, period.

Makes me want to apologize for taking up space on the pavement.

But, they aren't mean - just amused by me and my scoot.
("0" scoots 'round here - but nearly as many Harleys as F-150's)

We're all amused by you and your scoot!!!    :)

Same problem with too many Harley's around here... the peer pressure to ride one makes me ill, reminds me of being in the 6th grade all over again.  What's the point of being a grown up if you don't get to think for yourself.

Hmmm... thinking back to the 6th grade, I told the same group to go f- them selves back then too.  Me thinks it's the scooter riders who are mean.   ;)
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 03:20:46 AM »
You can find nasty riders of any type of bike. The trick is not to be fazed by negative things others have to say about your choice of bike.

Even harder and possibly more rewarding is to be nice to those kinds of people to trip them up and make them feel silly in your presence. They can't continue to argue with you if you keep agreeing with their choice of bike! They also can't fault you if you think like them! Before long, you may have them catching the scooter bug. Sneaky, but it's fun to watch.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

AVGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 12:05:30 PM »
I ride with friends who ride Harleys and we get along fine. I wave at other bikes and usually cruisers will wave back, but sport bikes won't. Other scooters seem to ignore my waves.

I was stopped at a light the other day. The light for the cross street turned green and as he was taking off a Harley rider shouted over, "You be careful on that thing!" I gave him a thumbs up.
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 02:25:43 PM »
I should temper my above statement.  It's the harley attitude that I don't like, not so much the riders' behavior.

I rode a honda to Sturgis once, pitched a tent next to the bike at the fairgrounds.  Didn't sleep much that night thanks to the "loud pipes"  ::) , but felt perfectly safe albeit somewhat an outsider.  Even had a hardcore biker chick sew a sheepskin seat cover for my bike, she did it with a smile.

Regarding a harley owner hawking the virtues of "the company", good for him he drank the kool aid.  I meet with a group of friends every Friday for breakfast, a buddy rode his harley one day and parked it next to my scooter.  That was "one day".  I've been riding my scooter every day, last week he asked me how long I'm going to ride "that thing".  How does that saying go, "the proof of the pudding is in the eating.".   ;D
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 03:32:33 PM »
I should temper my above statement.  It's the harley attitude that I don't like, not so much the riders' behavior.

I rode a honda to Sturgis once, pitched a tent next to the bike at the fairgrounds.  Didn't sleep much that night thanks to the "loud pipes"  ::) , but felt perfectly safe albeit somewhat an outsider.  Even had a hardcore biker chick sew a sheepskin seat cover for my bike, she did it with a smile.

Regarding a harley owner hawking the virtues of "the company", good for him he drank the kool aid.  I meet with a group of friends every Friday for breakfast, a buddy rode his harley one day and parked it next to my scooter.  That was "one day".  I've been riding my scooter every day, last week he asked me how long I'm going to ride "that thing".  How does that saying go, "the proof of the pudding is in the eating.".   ;D

I hate to admit it, but I do take things very personally and that guy really got to me.  He was like "look at that, it's got a big rear, a huge muffler, it's way off balance....."  yada, yada, yada.  When I told my husband about the conversation, he said "Now that I finally have the Harley, I understand what he means."  What is it with men and their toys?   :D  I think I'm going to divorce him.  ;)

PS:  I'm over it now - one day later.  And can't wait to go back out again on my nice quiet, smooth riding scooter.
DT300i

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 07:47:24 PM »
As the OP pointed out not all Harley guys are asses, I get the same looking down to as others have expressed but also some waves. It's the person not the bike, many people have this inferiority complex that manifests itself as arrogance. Their bike is supposed to intimidate you.  Others will engage you and be respectful of what you have and why you choose it.

It's like saying everyone on a rice burner is doing wheelies down the street and beating up on families in range rovers. It's just not the case.

I am finding out though, we have a notice number of members here from Jersey.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 11:02:29 PM »
As the OP pointed out not all Harley guys are asses, I get the same looking down to as others have expressed but also some waves. It's the person not the bike, many people have this inferiority complex that manifests itself as arrogance. Their bike is supposed to intimidate you.  Others will engage you and be respectful of what you have and why you choose it.

It's like saying everyone on a rice burner is doing wheelies down the street and beating up on families in range rovers. It's just not the case.

I am finding out though, we have a notice number of members here from Jersey.

Yes, I've noticed a few New Jerseyans here too.  Maybe we should have a meet up somewhere, sometime.
DT300i

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 11:36:30 PM »
Yes, I've noticed a few New Jerseyans here too.  Maybe we should have a meet up somewhere, sometime.

The thought crossed my mind too. Even though the State is small we're pretty spread out for scoots and the weather isn't going to stay warm too much longer. Would anyone from Jersey be up to meeting at a central location by car, scoot, or other means for breakfast one day?

Better yet I'll start a thread.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()