Author Topic: Why a scooter & not a Motorcycle?  (Read 19195 times)

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
Re: Why a scooter & not a Motorcycle?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 10:24:14 AM »
I was looking for a cheaper way to get back and forth to work.  I was able to buy a Zuma 125 cheaply and I knew with the automatic transmission it would not take me long to learn to ride.  I ended up filling up the tank about once or twice a week on my commute. 

I also needed the storage space to carry my lunch, laptop and other crap in. 

When I moved and realized that I needed a bigger bike my thoughts turned to getting a motorcycle but at the time the only "bigger bike" I could afford was a 400cc Burgman.    Which I absolutely loved to ride. 

Do to circumstances I had to switch over to the Kymco.  It was not my first choice to be honest but after owning it since Feb 2013 I've put 10K miles on it and don't see myself switching brands anytime soon. 

I guess I'm just a scooterist.  :)
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 12:51:06 PM »
I think its the twist and go that keeps me on a scoot. And also here in Michigan we dont have to have a cycle license to ride. It only has to have a title for it.And its your choice to have insurance or not.motor cylcles have to have insurance. THe scooters in are state fall under the no falt law.If someone hits us.Or we hit someone we pay are own damages un less we get the insurance.
So I beleave its a easy way out of spending a lot of extra cash to ride a scoot.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 01:45:54 PM »
But, why a scooter ?
There are simply no motorcycles with decent storage (at least for a helmet) and weather protection (for legs and feet) for the small wallet.
I don't want to ride with mc boots and pants into the office and change clothes in the toilet.

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 02:44:39 PM »
For me it almost happened by accident. I'd been a motorcyclist in my misspent youth, and a few years ago my wife decided to get a scooter for short runs around town. (We were a one car family, and at the time I needed the car to get to work.) We grabbed her an agility 50. However, she had an unfortunate first ride, dumping it within seconds, ending up under it and injuring her knee and never got back on it. When I switched jobs I started using the scoot to get to the office because with that I didn't have to pay downtown parking rates :)

Fast forward a few years and the garage then contained 2 agility scoots - the 50, now completely derestricted, and a 125 I'd acquired as a non-runner and repaired. Then they shifted my office half way across the metro area and I needed something seriously highway capable. At that point it was a matter of making the "maxi-scoot or motorcycle" decision. Having thoroughly retrained myself to scooter controls by this time, the 50 got sold to a friend and it's space in the garage is now occupied by an xciting 500.

I don't see myself ever going back to a motorcycle at this point, although the new Indians might have a chance of tempting me back from the dark side

JohnRambo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 12:43:30 AM »
When I was younger it was all HD.
Now as an older crip that can't shift due to spastic feet or swing a leg over a bike scooters keep me on two wheels.

What happened?  I mean did you have a stroke, or do you have some other neurological disorder?  Where does the spasticity come from?  Only reason I'm asking is because some guys convert their Harleys to trikes depending on the situation.

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 12:51:44 AM »
PeWee Herman aside, I wanted a scooter because I am always picking up crap that is hard to carry on a motorcycle.  Out for a ride and suddenly develop a craving fo cervaza?  Case of Corona in the top case, no problem.  :)
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

ahernandez74

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 05:46:10 PM »
Scooters are a lot more easily maintained than a motorcycle. Motorcycles are higher performin so thus, more maintenance and things to worry about. A scooter you can just hop on and ride. Anyone can ride one..

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 06:51:51 PM »
Scooters are a lot more easily maintained than a motorcycle. Motorcycles are higher performin so thus, more maintenance and things to worry about. A scooter you can just hop on and ride. Anyone can ride one..

lol not anyone...

Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 08:53:25 PM »
lol that pic should be under girls on scoots................

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 11:19:31 PM »
lol not anyone...

Indeed not anyone - upthread I shared how I came to scoots and it was as a direct result of my wife dumping one within seconds of acquiring it - she never got back on and it sat in the garage, so I started using it. It really was very unfortunate - she encountered the perfect storm of inexperience, nervousness and an edge trap that wasnt very visible but it was enough for her to decide she'd only ever be a passenger (at which she has more experience than I have as a driver, since she was riding around on the back of her dads BSA when she was a tiny munchkin)

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 01:36:16 AM »
lol that pic should be under girls on scoots................

Nope, girls on the ground...

speedee86

• 2012 Kymco Xciting 500 RI ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 09:45:52 PM »
well, coming from a younger guy i guess, im 27 and ride a xciting 500 ri abs.  originally was looking at motorcycles. to keep the long story short, my wife had back surgery a while back and has rods in her back. she feels more comfortable and safer on the bigger seat of a large scooter than on a bike.

i cant complane, im on 2 wheels, the wife is happy and comfortable with it, we are both comfortable, and i have 500cc's under my rump,  i can still keep up with most of the bikes i come by on the freeway. we can be comfy and i can still get my speed demon on ;) lol
always leave yourself an exit incase you get stuck in a pinch. RIDE SAFE!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2013, 08:03:35 PM »
High tech Kymco! Quiet, smooth, RELIABLE! Wash em off like a car, no damn spokes to shine, more ridin', less shinin'.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2013, 03:07:59 PM »
I'll give you one really good reason for a scooter - ability to bail off in dangerous situations. I was hit head on by a drunk driver. Before impact, I was able to jump off and land on my feet out of the way. Only slight soft tissue damage to my wrist. Had I been on a motorcycle I would not have been able to get my leg over the tank. Thanks to the scooter's step-through design, I was able to get off quickly and easily. Score one for the safety factor of scooters.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2013, 03:22:17 PM »
Automatic - no shifting.
Low maintenance.
Light - easy to handle.
wind protection
Cost - cheaper than a motorcycle.
Storage

Mrbios: You're somewhat correct, but you must be referring to 150cc & under scoots. Many times a 250cc motorcycle is cheaper & easier to maintain. Remember that getting @ a scooter usually requires taking off panels etc. Storage? About the same. 
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()