Author Topic: Why a scooter & not a Motorcycle?  (Read 19207 times)

kingkymco125

• View Profile
Re: Why a scooter & not a Motorcycle?
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2013, 10:04:42 PM »
One of the reasons I like a scooter is because of the gas mileage. Now that I have car again, it costs me at least $20.00 to $30.00 to fill the tank up. As for my scooter it costs me just $3.00 and change to fill my scooter up.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2013, 11:24:45 PM »
Yeah, I have both, and a variety of sizes..

In my mind, I make a half hearted attempt to keep the bike to the minimum for the ride.  By that, I mean my ride to my office doesn't require going over 45mph, with most of it at 40 and less, so I'll ride my 50 scooter.
From there (and I'm generalizing here) I ride what I can get away with.

I ride because I love to ride, and I really don't like driving.. I don't pretend to do it to save money because I think nothing of riding for an extra hour just for fun. I'm not pretending it to be green, because only one motorcycle has a catalytic converter and one of them is a two stroke. :) And it's not about being a cheap mode of transportation because I title and insure 7 bikes.

But I do like riding something out of the ordinary, and the scooter falls into that place. I'm 48 years old, 6' tall and 250 pounds and think nothing of jumping on my 250 Honda Helix and putting 500 miles on it during a weekend, riding to a BMW or Moto Guzzi Rally a few hours from home.. That includes the ride and bringing along all my camping gear... And yeah, I smile when I get asked if I really rode a scooter from IL to a rally in Michigan or Minnesota. :)

We all ride for different reasons.. I ride whatever I think will make me smile the most. :)

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2013, 11:28:09 PM »
High tech Kymco! Quiet, smooth, RELIABLE! Wash em off like a car, no damn spokes to shine, more ridin', less shinin'.

Karl

YES!!!  I LOVE not polishing chrome.
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

speedee86

• 2012 Kymco Xciting 500 RI ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2013, 03:59:37 PM »
High tech Kymco! Quiet, smooth, RELIABLE! Wash em off like a car, no damn spokes to shine, more ridin', less shinin'.

Karl

simply and perfectly stated :)

my buddy is always complaining about having to keep the chrome on his harley clean and shinny. he is always like "your bike always looks so clean" im like, well i wash it like my car, takes 10-15minutes, maybe 25 when i decide to wax it ;)
always leave yourself an exit incase you get stuck in a pinch. RIDE SAFE!

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2013, 04:25:11 PM »
simply and perfectly stated :)

my buddy is always complaining about having to keep the chrome on his harley clean and shinny. he is always like "your bike always looks so clean" im like, well i wash it like my car, takes 10-15minutes, maybe 25 when i decide to wax it ;)

??? People wash motorcycles? I thought that is why I ride in the rain. :)

A co-worker bought a new BMW watercooled GS and loaded it with basically everything that was available. Pretty sure he's got 25K in it. It was a gift to himself for having to work overseas for 4 months.
Anyway, another co-worker (Harley owner)(owner because he never actually rides)  was all excited the first day the new GS was in the parking lot, sitting in the rain!!! "Your chrome is going to rust!!!"

I told him "Sit down Fonzie, there's no chrome on that bike. It's stainless and it's made to be ridden, not polished."

I feel bad about the comment, because the Fonzie name stuck..  ;D ;D ;D

I wash my bikes the same time as I prep them for winter. Sometimes I'll give them a good scrub once during the summer. I don't own them to wash them, but to ride them. But I also don't buy things to impress other people. I buy them to impress me. Shiny doesn't impress me. Reliability does.

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2013, 05:31:21 PM »

Here's my last motorcycle all polished up, a labor of love but enough of a PITA to keep me from riding in messy conditions:

And my scooter, a little wet but nothing a 5 minute wipe down didn't cure:

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 05:34:44 PM by CosmoKorny »
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2013, 05:40:39 PM »
One of the reasons I like a scooter is because of the gas mileage. Now that I have car again, it costs me at least $20.00 to $30.00 to fill the tank up. As for my scooter it costs me just $3.00 and change to fill my scooter up.

OMG you're talking like my wife knock it the hell off.  Either talk miles to a dollar or don't, the size of your fuel tank is irrelevant.

Sorry, off my soapbox.  Going to marriage counseling tonight.   ::)
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2013, 05:45:38 PM »
  ::)

Cosmo,
The Landmark station looks familiar, but I can't place it..  Where are was that taken?

I grew up in the huge metropolis of Juda, by the way. :)

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2013, 07:12:27 PM »
Cosmo,
The Landmark station looks familiar, but I can't place it..  Where are was that taken?

I grew up in the huge metropolis of Juda, by the way. :)

Hey paper, that is Cottage Grove, I think Broadhead has one as well.  I grew up in Cambridge (also huge) and vaguely recall running a track meet in Broadhead-Juda in the early eighties.  Small world.
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2013, 07:31:17 PM »
Hey paper, that is Cottage Grove, I think Broadhead has one as well.  I grew up in Cambridge (also huge) and vaguely recall running a track meet in Broadhead-Juda in the early eighties.  Small world.

Yep.. My office is in Beloit, and I've got a Honda Silverwing riding buddy in your neighborhood in Watertown.
I'm sure you're aware of the huge amount of riding centered activities in our area.. Heck, I rode the Helix to the Crud Run last spring. :)

Before we get too off topic, PM me if you're interested in some of the riding activities and excellent rallies in the area.. While they're sponsored by other marques, they don't care who comes as long as you're willing to sit around campfires, drink a couple beers if you wish, and have a good time. :) I'll be posting a bunch of these later this weekend. They range from day gatherings like the Crud Run and the Lorem Ipsum Rally, to weekend party rallies, and also (for those interested in riding challenges) road rallies.

They're all about having fun.  :D

Metreaus

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2013, 12:57:22 AM »
I initially looked into scooters as an alternate mode of transport. Before this year, I was a faithful user of public transit my entire life (I'm 26). The GRTC (the local bus system) doesn't run to where I work on nights/weekends/some holidays (when I actually work), so I had to get a personal vehicle to get to work.

Getting a car/motorcycle? Nah...too expensive to own (on what I make), so that wasn't happening.

So (after a little nudging), I took the scooter route which turned out to be the best choice to make. Perfect mixture of public transit and having a car (IMO). Took me about 3 PITA ChiCom scooters to get it right with Metreaus (my current scooter), but I never regret making the choice!

What I like:

Easy operation (twist and go, took only 5 minutes to learn the concept)

Fuel efficient

Environmentally friendly

Storage; less stress having to carry my stuff in a backpack and can do grocery runs.

Ease of maintenance once you learn what's what and the how to's

Being out in the elements (like taking the bus, only no wait times). It really refreshes my senses!

Safety (ability to manuvere out of danger quickly)

Just enough power to where you can keep up with traffic without getting a speeding ticket!  :P
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 01:00:19 AM by Metreaus »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2013, 01:16:55 AM »
I initially looked into scooters as an alternate mode of transport. Before this year, I was a faithful user of public transit my entire life (I'm 26). The GRTC (the local bus system) doesn't run to where I work on nights/weekends/some holidays (when I actually work), so I had to get a personal vehicle to get to work.

Getting a car/motorcycle? Nah...too expensive to own (on what I make), so that wasn't happening.

So (after a little nudging), I took the scooter route which turned out to be the best choice to make. Perfect mixture of public transit and having a car (IMO). Took me about 3 PITA ChiCom scooters to get it right with Metreaus (my current scooter), but I never regret making the choice!

What I like:

Easy operation (twist and go, took only 5 minutes to learn the concept)

Fuel efficient

Environmentally friendly

Storage; less stress having to carry my stuff in a backpack and can do grocery runs.

Ease of maintenance once you learn what's what and the how to's

Being out in the elements (like taking the bus, only no wait times). It really refreshes my senses!

Safety (ability to manuvere out of danger quickly)

Just enough power to where you can keep up with traffic without getting a speeding ticket!  :P

Well said Metreaus !
Thanks for your reply!
Merry Christmas, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2013, 01:56:39 AM »
I am a Landcape Designer and don't get reimbursed for gas. The scoot uses a third the gas while allowing me to carry my equipment,laptop,printer etc. without having the perception of a motorcycle. People quickly figure that I think outside the box and will come up with unique ideas. I rode cycles as a kid and now would never go back. The scoot is just more versatile and too much fun! Even the guys on OCC use to ride scooters for fun. 8)

paul11

• View Profile
    • http://ny.pe
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2013, 03:54:30 AM »
A scooter may be the best choice for making mostly inner-city trips with a few high-speed hops.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2013, 09:35:23 AM »
Why a scooter?

It's no contest for a city commuter.  A scooter is not only fun in traffic, it's hugely practical.  I can't carry much on any motorcycle I've ever had (and I've had plenty), but a flat-floor scooter can carry huge loads, down low where heavy loads should be carried.  Also scooters can park anywhere for free, but motorcycles can't.  A cruiser uses an entire car-parking space, but a scooter can fit any any little corner nook or cranny - even indoors if necessary.  I can fit 2 cars and a scooter in my garage, but only one car and a motorcycle.

This year, the malls were packing during shopping high holidays.  On my scooter, I simply parked at the front door and walked in.

Then there's scooter rider humor: if I drove a cruiser, people would think I'm an old man. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()