Author Topic: Broken belt , spun welded bushing  (Read 1550 times)

Grumpy old man

• View Profile
Broken belt , spun welded bushing
« on: October 26, 2013, 12:17:23 PM »
Hey kids I need some quick advice,  there I was happily tooling along the interstate at 70 plus when my belt said adios! with the usual rubber smoke and dust it departed the usual way when we got it apart the rear pulley had to be purged of excess fragments but the real issue is when I went to remove the variator the backing plate won't move because the center bushing has seemingly welded it's self to the crank. 

So far I have gently tapped on it with a pulley puller but to no avail, today I thought I might try adding some heat to expand the bushing along with the puller and see what pops.  If anyone has some contrary advice now is the time.   And thanks    Jim   

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
Re: Broken belt , spun welded bushing
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 12:28:29 PM »
You didn't identify your model,  but under the Grand Vista section,  Look for "Shredded Belt" thread.
The jam is likely caused by the nylon belt cords embedded in the joint.  Mine was a mess.

Grumpy old man

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 12:48:28 PM »
Sorry its a People 250S (08)  43,000 miles this is the third or fourth belt I only use OEM Kymco parts   but will check out the GV thread thanks.

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 08:30:45 PM »
Have your other belts broke or just worn out>

How many miles do you avg per belt?
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

Grumpy old man

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 11:33:42 PM »
Hey Terry;

The first belt I changed out because of reaching 15,000 miles it was still within specs but ?   So the second belt was OK until I tried to go with heavier weights too heavy they were not a good thing  23 grams and aftermarket at that, so I put the original on for a while till the new belt #3 came in and that one went only about 10,000 miles till it lost a chunk of rubber probably 2or3 teeth worth but of course it was junk 

I think it was probably old before putting it on and I used the original belt again till the new one arrived, the last belt was at or close to changing and I wanted to get another trip out of it, we my wife who has a Grand Vista and I ride our scooters down to the Ozarks north east Arkansas whenever possible only 250 miles from home and the best roads in middle America.  It was on the way back that it ate itself.   

I finally removed the bushing and have a new one on order I had to use a pulley puller and apply a lot of heat but finally got it removed the crank didn't get too hot but I will use a dial indicator to check its roundness and probably polish the shaft to fit when the new bushing arrives, I am pretty excited to try out some Dr. Pulley sliders.     
    Next spring I am working with another scooter rider silverwinger setting up an Iron butt ride  we have most of the map ready but it's getting pretty late in the year to start it, we are thinking about opening it up to other scooter riders, 250cc and up although a 200 cc should be able to complete it OK even a 150 might have a shot at it after all you only need to average 42 mph to finish the 1000 miles in 24 hours.   

Have a great day and keep the shiny side up!       Jim 

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 03:01:45 PM »
So...Was the Bushing jammed by nylon fibers or was it, in fact really spun welded ?

Grumpy old man

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
As it turns out neither  The outer face pulley that used to have splines apparently gave them up in the demolition of the belt and the fine powder found it's way between the shaft and the bushing really gumming up the works but we have everything apart and today I am going to find my last word indicator and give the engine a few cranks to check the crank shaft for runout roundness and use the mic's to check for dia's  will brush the splines on the crank and prepare the case for the new parts. 

I am pretty guilty of not noticing the condition of the parts as I took them apart but in my defense it was at the end of three days riding nearly 900 miles with two ladies in tow and after spending 5 hours waiting for the pickup truck and another 90 mins riding home unloading the scooter and tearing everything apart to install used parts so I could use it for transportation to work that night.  I forgive myself. 

Thanks for everyones help maybe this will help someone in a similar situation.        Jim.     

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()