Author Topic: Scooter not accelerating  (Read 1469 times)

tmitrani

• View Profile
Scooter not accelerating
« on: October 30, 2013, 10:09:51 PM »
Just got my kymco people 50 scooter back from tume up, carb clean and de-restriction.  Ran great for about 20 min. now when i give it gas it just bogs out.  Idles just fine.  NOT SURE WHAT TO DO.  Please help!!!

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
Re: Scooter not accelerating
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 10:29:57 PM »
Check to make sure the air box is still attached to the carb.
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

tmitrani

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 12:22:23 AM »
yes it is attached and the air filter is clean
It's so wierd it idles just fine but once i give it gas it just bogs out.  it was just serviced and it has new gas, oil and fuel cleaner

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 12:40:03 AM »
What did they do in the "tune up carb clean and derestriction".

If the scooter has been off for say an hour and you go back to ride it, is it still good from 20 or so minutes or is it still messed up no matter what?
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
Dell'Orto PHBG 19 AS Carb
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

tmitrani

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 12:57:47 AM »
It didnt run before i took it to the shop.  they de-restricted it and cleaned the carb and but a new battery in it.  Ran great for about 20 minutes after that.  It was low on gas so i but regular gas in it 87 octane.  I was driving it home and right before i got home it started to bog out.  So I thought that i needed to but a higher octane gas in it so I drained the tank and filled it up with premium and made sure the oil was where it should be.  Worked for about five minutes after that then it started doing the exaxct same thing.  Frustrated because the place i take it to is about 20 miles away and is just a pain in the asss!!  Is there anything that I am doing wrong???

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 01:55:31 AM »
The gas issue is tossed around with scooter guys alot. This time of year alot of stations are putting junk in their fuel for the winter which is bad for the scoot. I personally put 93 octane from bp, the 93 from royal farms started giving me some trouble recently. Try adding some Seafoam to your tank.

Im gonna take a swing at this (A big swing because its really hard to diagnose over the internet) but Ill guess the bike likes the richness of the autochoke. So when its off you're running lean.

What kind of bike do you have and what did they do in the derestriction?
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
Dell'Orto PHBG 19 AS Carb
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

tmitrani

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 02:26:11 AM »
2008 Kymco People 50.  Nice bike I barley ride it and it has less than 1000 miles.  Not sure what they did for the derestiction I will be calling them again tomorrow.  I called them yesterday and they said to just run it some more and it should work itself out...GREAT ADVICE.  Just a little pissed becuae I've put about $400 into it and just expect it to work.  Auto choke is that something that i can fiddle with to fix it.  I guess it runs lean while in idle and rich when i try and use the throttle...too much gas i guess

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 03:25:11 AM »
If you can dismantle the carb yourself and check.. maybe they missed something...

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 06:20:40 PM »
2008 Kymco People 50.  Nice bike I barley ride it and it has less than 1000 miles.  Not sure what they did for the derestiction I will be calling them again tomorrow.  I called them yesterday and they said to just run it some more and it should work itself out...GREAT ADVICE.  Just a little pissed becuae I've put about $400 into it and just expect it to work.  Auto choke is that something that i can fiddle with to fix it.  I guess it runs lean while in idle and rich when i try and use the throttle...too much gas i guess

Dont guess. Adjust the idle speed and mixture, then get some clean new plugs, run some WOT chops and look at the plug. I'd agree with you that the main jet is probably off but it will bog on acceleration whether you need to increase or decrease the main jet.

Those little 50s really dont like to sit unused either. My old Agility 50 used to behave like this for the first few rides if it had been sitting in the garage for a week or so - sometimes so badly that it would die completely if I cracked on the the throttle too fast rather than rolling it on smoothly.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()