Author Topic: First year of ownership  (Read 2133 times)

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
First year of ownership
« on: November 01, 2013, 11:20:30 AM »
              I live in Syracuse, NY, and the weather is changing. I have a slight heart problem and am on blood thinning meds. Unfortunately this curtails my colder weather riding greatly. I'm cleaning my scoot today to put her away till spring. I thought I would give you folks a review of my first year (2400 miles) with my GTI300.

I picked up my new (2012) Silver GTI in April. I rode her home and started changing things.

Modifications:
                     1. Install Biondi windshield (Very easy install. Kit moved mirrors up and out for better
                         visibility. Perfect height for my 5' 10" frame)
                     2. Replace stock topbox with a Shad SH40 cargo (Shad is removable, and can be used
                         unlocked if desired. I removed the rear plastic piece and put red reflective tape under
                         it for better nighttime visibility.)
                     3. I cut small diamonds out of black and blue reflective tape and put them on scooter.
                         ( Personalize the look and more nighttime visibility.)
                     4. Where the European turn signals were, I installed Cool white LED bulbs and wired them
                         in with the running lights. (Looks good and gives better visibility.)
                     5. I installed a second 12v accessory plug under the seat. (Wired directly to the battery
                         and fused so I can use my GPS or battery tender.)
                     6. At about 550 miles, I installed Dr Pulley 14 gr sliders (stock rollers were 15gr) and a
                         iridium spark plug.

Maintenance:

I've changed the oil, oil filter, and gear oil 4 times so far. I use a full synthetic 10-40 in
                      the motor and a full synthetic 75-90 in the trans. Hiflo HF566 oil filter.

I've filled up the gas and checked mileage about 17 times so far. Mileage went from a low of
                      59.4 to a high of 75 depending on how I drove. I now have 2400 miles on the scoot and my
                      average mileage is right about 68. I use 87 octane unleaded with no problems.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase. I can putter around town at 15 mph, or cruise the
               Interstate at 75. I've been on a 400 mile trip and had no problem keeping up with much bigger
               (Honda Gold Wing) motorcycles. Scooter is light enough for a old guy to handle and loads of fun
               to ride. I just wish the fuel tank was larger. Next year I will get a set of Michelin city grips. I am
               going to replace the front 110-70/16 with a larger 120-20/16. I think this will help correct my 
               slightly optimistic speedometer and improve handling as a bonus.

Hope all forum members ride safe and enjoy their scooters as much as I love mine!

Mrmike   
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:31:25 PM by mrmike »
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
Re: First year of ownership
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 02:06:19 PM »
About your oil change schedule:

My dealership at first recommended very frequent oil changes.  First one at 600 miles and then at 1200, if I remember correctly.

The Kymco Downtown 300I owner's manual says that the second oil change should be at 3000 miles along with some other scheduled maintenance.

So I called the dealership and he then told me to follow the owner's manual.  He said that for a while, Kymco recommended more frequent oil changes (as did other brands) and then the EPA got after them to do them less frequently because of the high volume of oil being disposed.

So, I wonder, who's right here.  Is it really necessary to change the oil every 600 miles?

Somerset County, New Jersey
DT300i

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 04:27:59 PM »
Great write up Mr Mile and thank you for sharing!  I'm glad you like your GTi, I certainly do mine.
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 04:59:44 PM »
About your oil change schedule:

My dealership at first recommended very frequent oil changes.  First one at 600 miles and then at 1200, if I remember correctly.

The Kymco Downtown 300I owner's manual says that the second oil change should be at 3000 miles along with some other scheduled maintenance.

So I called the dealership and he then told me to follow the owner's manual.  He said that for a while, Kymco recommended more frequent oil changes (as did other brands) and then the EPA got after them to do them less frequently because of the high volume of oil being disposed.

So, I wonder, who's right here.  Is it really necessary to change the oil every 600 miles?

I did my first oil & filter change at 100 miles. The second at 600 miles. The third at 1000 miles, and the fourth at 2000 miles. I changed it more often when the scooter was new. I'm now on a 1000 mile change schedule.
I would recommend more frequent changes when new. Just my opinion. I'm a retired mechanic with all the tools so I do all my own maintenance. The only time a dealer will see me would be for warranty work and New York State annual inspections.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:33:57 PM by mrmike »
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 05:52:28 PM »
DadGum, what a nice write-up mrmike...
Got a little slow there in the middle, but picked up nicely and had a great finish!
I'm with you on your the timing, type  & freq. of your oil changes, the plug, the new tires coming, and the few personalizing items. I use BP 93 octane....as the manual says 91 or better. And would like to do something with the European (dead) lights but scared I'd screw up the electrics (carpenter here)
(even match the blasted 2 heart caths and the thinners...but I gotta ride this to work as I sold my car! Ohio winter here I come.)
Really, nice job on the write up.
This winter if I do get snowed in I will probably put in the Dr Pulley sliders I've had for months.

[color=green]What were you thoughts about those sliders vs stock rollers?[/color]
Thanks for sharing!
Stig (on a LIKE 200i w/3500 miles)
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 11:14:01 PM »
DadGum, what a nice write-up mrmike...
Got a little slow there in the middle, but picked up nicely and had a great finish!
I'm with you on your the timing, type  & freq. of your oil changes, the plug, the new tires coming, and the few personalizing items. I use BP 93 octane....as the manual says 91 or better. And would like to do something with the European (dead) lights but scared I'd screw up the electrics (carpenter here)
(even match the blasted 2 heart caths and the thinners...but I gotta ride this to work as I sold my car! Ohio winter here I come.)
Really, nice job on the write up.
This winter if I do get snowed in I will probably put in the Dr Pulley sliders I've had for months.

[color=green]What were you thoughts about those sliders vs stock rollers?[/color]
Thanks for sharing!
Stig (on a LIKE 200i w/3500 miles)

Stig

To be honest with you, I changed the stock rollers out at 550 miles. I really did not evaluate the stock rollers that much. I had a People 150 before the GTI and put lighter rollers in that with good results. I decided to go with sliders from everyone's recommendations in this forum. I went 1 gram lighter for a little more acceleration. I'm very happy with the results, and still have a top end over 80mph which is plenty fast for me.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 12:23:03 AM »

Stig

To be honest with you, I changed the stock rollers out at 550 miles. I really did not evaluate the stock rollers that much. I had a People 150 before the GTI and put lighter rollers in that with good results. I decided to go with sliders from everyone's recommendations in this forum. I went 1 gram lighter for a little more acceleration. I'm very happy with the results, and still have a top end over 80mph which is plenty fast for me.
Thanks mr mike,
I have a set of Dr Pulleys that are .5 gm lighter than stock (only because i couldn't find stock weight.) I just migth put those in this winter if I get snowed off of the road. Have not had the belt cover off yet - but already bought the impact wrench.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()