Author Topic: The rear tire and me  (Read 4520 times)

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
The rear tire and me
« on: November 03, 2013, 11:25:19 PM »
Funny thing...I traveled down to a Buddhist Temple today, thought I look around.  I almost asked a few of the monks to bless my bike.

After all she is Korean and therefore likely Buddhist.  I decided against it as I was not sure if that would be considered an insult or not. 

I should have.  Not 50 miles from the Temple and I hear a POP!   The rear tire blew out.  I was traveling at a low rate of speed and on a empty road so over to the side I go without issue.  This was the second tire I have go on me in under 15K (miles).

My pressure was good and I did not see any tread damage (till the thing blew).  I'm I fat?  Is it the roads in Florida? 

Was it my beloved Scooter telling me to have her blessed?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 11:27:06 PM by houndguy »
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: The rear tire and me
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 02:10:18 AM »
That's scary... You were very lucky you were travelling at a low speed...  what was the tire's brand?

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 02:22:27 AM »
That's scary... You were very lucky you were travelling at a low speed...  what was the tire's brand?

I'm happy it was the rear tire.  Front tire and I be eating asphalt.  Dunlop was was brand and I think I'll stay away from them.

I was very happy with the Pirelli Diablo's that I had on the old Burgie 400.  Problem is they run about $100...which is $100 more than I have or want to spend at this time.

I can by a Shinko at half that cost....but am unsure if I should. 

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 02:29:22 AM »
Dunlop is a very unpopular brand here also of bad experiences... One would either get Pirellis or Michelins or get Malaysian or Indonesian brands...

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 10:00:12 AM »
Funny thing...I traveled down to a Buddhist Temple today, thought I look around.  I almost asked a few of the monks to bless my bike.
After all she is Korean and therefore likely Buddhist.
Do you ride a Daelim scooter? Kymco is Taiwanese (Republic of China). Taiwanese do not like to be called Korean, the might prance and burst.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 11:46:25 PM »
Michelin & Avon are what I have used most lately. These are more of a touring tire. Chenshing & shinko ware out very fast. :-*

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 02:40:29 AM »
Do you ride a Daelim scooter? Kymco is Taiwanese (Republic of China). Taiwanese do not like to be called Korean, the might prance and burst.

Your right!  I don't know why I was thinking Kymco was a Korean brand.   :(   But my original thought of her being a Buddhist still applies. 

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 03:09:44 AM »
The Chinese worship more than one... they think it will help business more...  ;D

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 05:50:38 AM »
Michelin City Grips are the best.  4 Avon Viper strykes 5-7000 miles.  Grips grip and they grip and they grip and they hold and my speedo is more accurate.  The Grips are the S#@$!  I highly recommend. I now own 2 Michelin City Grips.
I wish I could ride more and drive less!
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

Scumeda3

• I drive a 2009 Xciting Ri
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 01:51:30 AM »
Dido with BigOrange.  I am on my second rear City Grip.  First one I put about 9,100 miles, the second is at about 8,500 miles and can go maybe another 1k miles or so.  Pretty dang good!  I might try Michelin Pilot Pure Power next time.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 01:06:43 PM »
That's my next tire. I bought an Avon because it was under $70.00 :-*

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 02:12:16 PM »
I ended up buying the Shinko because money is a little tight.  I wish now I would have waited, since the average tread wear seems to be 4K.  Hell I will do that by the end of January.

Based on what I'm hearing....City gripes to work best on the 500? 

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 02:22:58 PM »
I have 3500 miles on the Michelin Power Pure SC.  Wear seams good, however there have been a few oh sh** moments when it's slipped on a tar strip, may just be a combination of me and the scooter, not sure I can blame it on the tire although I've never had that problem with motorcycles I've owned.  Rain traction is fine.  The front tends to wander in rain grooves.  If I had a do over would go with the Diablo or City Grip.

Power pure after 3500 miles.

Maxxis that came with the bike after 5000 miles.  First thing to come off the bike when I bought it.
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 02:24:14 PM »
I ended up buying the Shinko because money is a little tight.  I wish now I would have waited, since the average tread wear seems to be 4K.  Hell I will do that by the end of January.

Based on what I'm hearing....City gripes to work best on the 500?

That would be my choice.   City Grips, that is.   :)
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 01:47:57 AM »
I have purchased the Michelin City Grips through Motorcycle Superstore and Chappral Motorsports.  I would look for a sale and when they are offering free shipping.  I tend to order tires in the winter when no one is riding.  In Arizona we are always riding.  Best deals before the spring.   I like the Avons.  In my experience they do not seem to last as long as the City Grips. The City grips feel good on the road as well.

I wish I could ride more and drive less!
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()