Author Topic: Cold weather start  (Read 5275 times)

HOHO

• View Profile
Cold weather start
« on: November 06, 2013, 12:40:33 PM »
I could use a useful suggestion on how to start the bike in cold weather.  If it's anywhere under 4 degrees  (39 fahrenheit) I have a hell of a time to get it started.  The battery cranks it but if I don't get it after 5 or 6 tries fageddaboutit.  I drive until about 2(35f) because our summer is so short so I'd appreciate your input to extend my driving season.  Thanks

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
Re: Cold weather start
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 04:06:43 PM »
Mine started just fine this morning at 33F.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 01:01:03 PM »
Put a battery tender type of charger on it. A shop tech told me that the fuel injected bikes will not start unless the battery is fully charged, With cold weather your cranking amps are low. I got one at chrome battery for 10 bucks. Home depot has them for $19.95  Install on battery leads, and let wires hang down near tail light.  :-*

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 05:59:11 AM »
My experience with a 2010 x500ri here in za,was right from the start,bad starting,and flat battery because same as you,if it does not Start within 2 turns,that's it.

Went the battery tender route, which improved matters but issue was intermittent.
This was fine for home,but there was no battery tender or AC plug at the side Of the road in the middle Of the Karoo(remote place).

Then,I got a second battery and using the seat latch screws,jury rigged a rig to hold this battery up against the original battery compartment.There's still space for a full face helmet. This Battery was connected in parallel.
This solution worked well.
Never had another startup issue.

Long discussions with the dealer, finally resulted in this gem:
Super high quality synthetic engine oil 5w40
(dealer had originally put in 10w40)

On my next service,I went with the better oil, and removed the extra battery,and have had no starting issues since.
We are in summer now,so will have too report back mid winter to confirm it is really solved.
2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 05:12:00 AM »
Update: it is winter again, and starting gremlin is back. It just won't start in the cold. This scoot parks outside. I have booked up the second battery again. I also setup trickle charging. Today will tell if it all worked.  Until I did he aforementioned, I had to use th e wife's car with booster cables, this was successful every time. I checked battery voltage when idling. 13.10 no lights. 12.98 with lights. Revving does not change the numbers. I read that battery should be charging at 13.8.  How to get this higher number?

24auhr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 02:13:52 AM »
This isnt a gremlin , its a fault !
and kymco should have a fix for it

i have a feeling it has somthing to do with water condensation , bacause i cant start mine after a cold night iether ,it dosnet matter if its been raining or not
im in sydney australia and it dosnt get cold here like it does for the usa

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 05:44:04 AM »
I just bought a Motobatt that has 240CCA. Cost a small fortune! The bike shop is fitting it and  hopefully I should have it back by the weekend.
Using 5w40 fully synthetic helped last year winter.
The starter has been replaced as it got overheated from all the cranking I have been doing this winter. Plus the regulator has been replaced as well.
Hopefully this puts an end to this scoot's cold starting issue.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 05:57:05 AM by xsel777 »

24auhr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 09:52:30 AM »
The starter relay or the starter motor ?

i remember reading somthing about using a larger starter motor but i dont recall where i read it , so i dont know what motor they used .

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 10:39:16 AM »
All I know it is not an original kymco starter motor, but it is new,so some parts must be interchangeable,  I can only surmise.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 10:41:10 AM by xsel777 »

24auhr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 04:43:44 AM »
looking forward to hearing about your results xsel .. keep posting

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 08:52:58 AM »
The dealer called me saying that starting is still an issue-intermittent, even after a  new heavy duty battery. It is now going to an electrical expert who already has an xciting 500 in his shop.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 09:56:02 AM »
Because I ride 365 if no ice/snow I installed the biggest ccamp Yuasa that would fit into the battery box ,with a little trim of the lid's hold down posts. Have good starts on my efi'd LIKE200i down to 3° F , so far. Running on reg all weather Amsoil, 10/40.
Sounds like 500 needs bigger heavier wiring/starter/battery combo of a kind?
 Hope you get it sorted.....we need these scoots to be reliable for commuting all weathers. I'm lucky, my LIKE200i has a system that is just dead reliable.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 06:17:14 PM »
The starting is now sorted, with a bunch of new parts being needed, like starter motor, regulator, some small cylindrical things sits left side if battery in a rubber sleeve, plus some kymco modified item, to increase petrol output when cold. Starts great now, instantaneous.
Only problem is,  I did not even get the scoot home, and it broke down again.
This time crank bearings, argh!

24auhr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 12:38:38 AM »
Some kymco mod to feed more petrol when its cold ??
has anyone heard of kevs mod ?
its from the xtx 660 forums , (my second bike )
this guy kev made a relay type thing to fool the ecu-? into delivering more petrol (gas) to the injectors when the weather is cold
and keeps the idle up untill the engine is warmer

"small cylindrical things sits left side if battery in a rubber sleeve"  ..thats the starter relay

can you share your mechanics email ? or send it to me ? id really like to talk to him about getting that mod from him

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 06:57:57 AM »
That cold start mod came directly from kymco south Africa, based in Durban, North East coast. They import everything directly from the factory in Taiwan. So try your kymco importer.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()