Author Topic: Yuasa or Deltran Battery Tender Jr ??  (Read 1809 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Yuasa or Deltran Battery Tender Jr ??
« on: November 08, 2013, 02:24:52 PM »

Yuasa Smart Shot 900 Battery Charger or the Deltran Battery Tender Jr, or Plus.

Which do folks recommend for keeping their scooter battery in good condition for winter starts and riding?

I'm leaning towards the Yuasa just because my scoot has one of their batteries installed. I'll be purchasing one from amazon later this w/e.

Thanks, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
Re: Yuasa or Deltran Battery Tender Jr ??
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 03:07:45 PM »
Been using the cheap tenders from Harbor Freight for a long time with good results.
$10.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 03:23:47 PM »
I have been using a Dura-Boost 750MA maintainer from Cycle Gear for over a year.  We have a store here in Salem but it's also available on line. My buddy did have one of the Harbor Freight ones for his Kawasaki and it seemed to work OK.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 04:57:02 PM by big blue »
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 05:34:49 PM »
Use the B. T. Jr and it works very well. Never had any problems.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 05:48:31 PM »
Stig: I have 4 Deltran Battery Tender Jr. & none have failed on me. I have used them in all my scooters over the years. I just picked up a 2-Bank Deltran battery tender for my boat batteries. Deltran's are easy to purchase & their accessories are less expensive as well (i.e. 25' extension cord etc.) You can score one on Amazon for short money here:

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383932820&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+tender+jr.

Yuasa tenders are a solid bunch, but seem to cost a bit more. Good Luck.
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

cochi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 10:53:45 PM »
Stig, I've been using a Deltran Junior constantly for the past 6 years. Haven't had any problems. cochi :)

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 11:33:48 PM »
Will you be riding frequently thus winter or putting the scooter away? If you'll be riding, don't waste your money as there will be no need to use one. If you are putting the scooter away for a few weeks or longer, consider the Deltan Battery Tender Plus. It cost more, but unlike the cheaper Jr model the plus uses better components. The Jr has been known to cook batteries as has been reported on other PTW forums. Last year I used a BT Jr and two OEM batteries test dead within 6 months of purchasing the scooter. I can't say for certain it was the BT. It could be a case of a bad battery lot.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 01:15:05 AM »
Will you be riding frequently thus winter or putting the scooter away? If you'll be riding, don't waste your money as there will be no need to use one. If you are putting the scooter away for a few weeks or longer, consider the Deltan Battery Tender Plus. It cost more, but unlike the cheaper Jr model the plus uses better components. The Jr has been known to cook batteries as has been reported on other PTW forums. Last year I used a BT Jr and two OEM batteries test dead within 6 months of purchasing the scooter. I can't say for certain it was the BT. It could be a case of a bad battery lot.
Well, I will be riding whenever the snow permits - I want to ride thru the winter - no matter how cold it gets. The scoot is in an unheated garage at night - just want the battery to be solid 12V on 5 F degree days when I have to stop for gas, etc. The $30 is not an issue - nor is the plugging , unplugging a problem each day and evening. The scoot was a year old when sold to me as new, have no idea how old the battery is - hopefully it came overseas with the scoot. It is a yuasa, or I would be replacing it if it were some no namer. It has 8AH and 135 CCA - I might be looking for a bit more of both before the winter is over.
I do appreciate advice from you folks as I approach my first Ohio winter with a scooter.
Thanks again, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()