Author Topic: Brand New 09 Kymco Sting 50 Need info  (Read 3935 times)

SlickVic

• View Profile
Brand New 09 Kymco Sting 50 Need info
« on: November 10, 2013, 01:26:42 AM »
First of all let me say Hello to all on this forum.  My wife needed a pit bike to get around the racetrack with instead of stealing my golf cart all the time.  She does photography, and we were able to find a Brand new 2009 Kymco Sting 50, Rose/Silver color with 1/2 mile on the odometer.  We just got it home and i took it for a test run.  I also read the manual, it says YUP 50 on it and not all of it applies to our scooter so i had some questions. 

1.  Manual says to use #92 or #95 fuel, is this octane rating?  92 octane or higher?
2.  How often do you normally have to add oil for the 2 stroke?
3.  The oil warning light, is that for the 2 stroke part of the crankcase oil level.
4.  De-Restricting it, worth it? any issues?  I maxed out at about 32 mph going down the road. 

Thanks in advance!

SlickVic

• View Profile
Re: Brand New 09 Kymco Sting 50 Need info
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 09:57:22 PM »
Ok so i went investigating today.  I found the CDI, but there is no green wire to cut.  There is a green wire with a connecter in the middle, i disconnected it but only gained about 2 mph.  I also took the clutch cover off and removed the front pully.  The slide boss/variator had no washer and no rib that needed to be removed it was just a solid smooth tube like sleeve.  So anyone want to give me more direction?

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 01:56:27 PM »
Welcome SV - Octane ratings are computed differently around the world.  So, a 92 or 95 octane rating in Taiwan may be different than the same ratings where you live.  I believe my manual also said to use  92 or 95 octane but I live in the U.S. and have always used 87 octane and the scoot runs fine.

SlickVic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 02:16:33 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Hope someone can answer my other questions also.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 06:49:35 AM »
Hi slick, welcome... Calothrix is right... 93 in Taiwan is Octane (RON) equivalent, more or less, to 87 Octane (Ron+Mon/2) or AKI in the U.S. 

You add 2t oil when oil light lights up... Two stroke engines have no crankcase oil... the 2t oil is the lubrication...

An aftermarket performance pipe would be another mod to improve power and maybe you can experiment with different roller weights to get your ideal speed.

SlickVic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 11:35:57 PM »
Thanks Vivo.  I filled it up with amsoil 2 stroke oil, also added amsoil ethanol treatment to the tank.

Anyone have info on the CDI box or the clutch already having a smooth bushing? 

SlickVic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 11:43:21 PM »
Wife is having a hard time getting the scooter on the center kickstand, they don't make a side for the sting 50.  Was thinking about getting a agility 50 kickstand and welding a bracket onto the bottom frame to make it work.  Anyone done this?  Done anything else to add a side kickstand?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 01:02:17 AM »
Loads of fun... The center stand is a pain if it is too long. It forces you to lift the bike and as you know there is nowhere to lift from. I measured the tire height off the ground, and cut off 1/4" less than that number from the legs. This lets the bike mostly roll up onto the stand with much less effort. If you decide later to get a bigger tire the stands are cheap, and easily replaced.

I love Vivo, and his advice is always more sensible than mine but DON'T wait for the light. If the float/wiring/bulb go out then so does the engine. Then you will be pissed off that the bike didn't tell you when to add oil. Depending on how you ride the bikes Avg. about 2 oz. of oil to a gallon. You can do the math there.  I always use Premium fuel. No exception. Same for 2stroke oil. Synthetic blends are great, and Full Synth. is awesome. Stay away from chainsaw, and weed wacker oils. They are junk, and will foul out your engine in short order. The only oil it gets is mixed in the fuel. You need good oil.

Aftermarket parts abound for the 2t Kymcos. You can spend 3-400.00 and have a mildly tuned bike that does 50-55mph for years. The best place to start is with an exhaust/carb jets. Then you can move up w/ a variator, and a clutch. They even have rear gear sets for these so 60mph is reachable w/ the stock cylinder bore.

Spend some quality time on the forum,(tell the Mrs. you're doing it for her) and read some of the MOD threads or most any of the 50cc threads. You'll find we are mostly a bunch of Jacka_ _es with too much time, and lots of money to waste but everything you could ever do to a 50cc has been done here. (No-one has done a turbo yet... hint ;)) but it's all here.

Post up before you buy something. We  have also weeded thru the crap parts houses, and can save you alot of time, and $$$.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 01:04:20 AM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 06:42:34 PM »
So just so I'm clear on this, the 2S er's have an oil tank to hold the oil, you don't pre mix it with the gas like in the old days??

If that is correct why not top off the oil tank with every fill up? Keep a small 4oz bottle with you and add it to the tank when you fill the gas?

Happy riding!

Oh one more thing, why not buy a bigger bike instead of all the additions/subtractions to the 50 cc unit?
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 12:39:36 AM »
No more pre mixing unless you want to. They all have injector pumps, and reservoirs. I always have a bottle of 2T oil on the bike, and everyone should. I would normally pull the cap off, and if it was 1/2 full or less... Top it off, and get a new bottle. Never an issue.

As far as getting a bigger bike... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The concept is the same as putting a small block Chevy in a golf cart. 30 mph on a hundred pound pile of plastic is fun enough for most people. 50 is pretty much a non stop giggle fest. 60 gets your attention, and 70 is like falling out of a car but never hitting the ground. Some manner of physics just keeps you floating just above the road rash level. It is a mild form of adult insanity that you just want to keep going. Much like an acid trip. (so I hear)
Or compare a 60mph hundred pound scooter to Xmas morning when you got EVERY toy in the world. All yours. Now make Xmas EVERY DAY. It's the best way to explain it.

Anyone can buy a 200mph crotch rocket. How many can make an 80mph 74.5cc pile of plastic?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

kimura

• 2012 super 8 50cc 2t
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 02:33:07 PM »
I've been filling up with 92 octane here in the USA, anything wrong with  putting in higher grade octane or should i fill up with 87 instead?

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 05:31:23 PM »
I don't think there is anything wrong with it, the higher octane prevents preignition on high compression engines, something I don't think we have. Zombie will say to stick with the higher octane fuel and others will say that 87 i the US is just fine, including myself. I've never had a problem but from time to time I still drop in some 92 gas, but I don't know why.

Ride on a tank or 2 of regular gas, if everything stays the same, continue.

If your superstitious or just don't want to take the chance, go with the 92, it only costs .50 per gal more per fill up.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 03:22:07 AM »
Zom,bie who?

Buy good fuel or buy cheap fuel. At 4.00 a tank who cares?

Oh yeah... The ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but so what. If something goes wrong... who cares!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 03:25:39 AM »
Buy clean fuel... doesn't matter if it's cheap or expensive...  ;)  Not all gas stations are managed the same...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 03:27:44 AM »
Ta Da!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()