Author Topic: Windshield replacement and headlight modulator.  (Read 2903 times)

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
Windshield replacement and headlight modulator.
« on: November 13, 2013, 01:08:21 AM »
Christmas is coming up.  :)  My girlfriend has talked about getting me a headlight modulator kit but I'm more interested in getting a new windshield to replace the stock one that is on my 08 xciting 500. 

I thought I saw something about a Givi for about $150 (US) but I'm curious if there is another brand out there??  If so who and is it difficult to replace?

Now, how many of you use the modulator's?  Do you like them?  I find them annoying as a driver but they do get your attention.
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
Re: Windshield replacement and headlight modulator.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 03:08:53 AM »
IMHO headlight modulators are just plain irritating.

I'm not sure what else is available in the US for a windshield, but the tall Givi sure makes the bike more comfortable. 

Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 03:20:24 AM »
Nice...

You need a PeerClear wiper....

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:22:01 AM by Vivo »

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 12:12:24 PM »
Do you get a lot of vibration on the tall Give windshield?   When I rode my Burgman I noticed that at higher speeds the stock windshield would vibrate in the wind.  It was more annoying than anything.

I like the idea of a bigger shield to help with the cooler air at night during the winter months and the rain in the summer. 

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 01:32:53 PM »
No, I have not noticed the windshield vibrating.  My 250 will not go much over 70mph GPS with the Givi so I'm not sure beyond that.

Riding in the rain can be problematic, especially in the dark if you're not tall enough to see over the top.  I'm 6'2" and can if I stretch.  That wiper would be great.   :)

Another problem is the windshield comes close to your face, which I did not like.  I solved that by adding three washers under each of the top mounting bolts which gave it a more upright stance, but effectively made it even taller.
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 07:19:20 PM »
No, I have not noticed the windshield vibrating.  My 250 will not go much over 70mph GPS with the Givi so I'm not sure beyond that.

Riding in the rain can be problematic, especially in the dark if you're not tall enough to see over the top.  I'm 6'2" and can if I stretch.  That wiper would be great.   :)

Another problem is the windshield comes close to your face, which I did not like.  I solved that by adding three washers under each of the top mounting bolts which gave it a more upright stance, but effectively made it even taller.

I am 6 ft even.  You should be able to cut it down.  I remember reading somewhere it should be at your nose?

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 12:47:51 AM »
Sure, you can cut it down but do you have the tools and expertise to make a uniform polished cut?  I did an old Honda windscreen once and was not entirely happy with it.
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 06:35:50 AM »
Tools to make a uniform cut and the polishing are two different worries :) Personally I'd mark both my intended line of cut and a second line a couple mm above it, Place tape over both lines (or place the tape first if the lines wont show through it) and then use a dremel or rotozip to cut on the top line - doesnt matter if I wander a little on that part. Then I'd take a sander and smooth it down to the first line, in the process erasing any gross irregularities from the cut. Then I go to my stock of wet&dry sandpaper and sand the edge wet at 200 grit until I cant see the marks of the coarser sander. Then 400, 800 and 1600, each to remove the marks of the last. Keep going with finer and finer grit until you give up and put some buffing compound on a wheel in that dremel and finish it off that way.

If I can put a mirror finish on steel that way, I can probably polish a cut edge of plexiglass smooth :)

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 07:00:58 AM »
Corny, you can also try some rain repellant...

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 12:14:00 AM »
my rain gear consists of a garbage bag, preferably plastic.  I like the heavy duty landscaping bags.  Then only my legs get wet.
I wish I could ride more and drive less!
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 06:51:22 PM »
And I thought we had a safety sticker warning problem in America? Holy crap! ??? :-*

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()