Author Topic: Car 1 - me 0  (Read 4654 times)

AVGuy

• View Profile
Car 1 - me 0
« on: November 19, 2013, 07:59:33 PM »
Was waiting yesterday morning for some oncoming traffic to clear so I could turn left off the street into work. Heard a screech, followed by a BANG and a THUD and I was flying through the air. I landed on my right side in the street. The driver came out of her car with her phone to see if I was ok. I was still trying to process things and make sure I could move everything. I stood up and seemed to feel ok except for my head was kind of ringing and my right arm & shoulder were hurting. I had on all my gear from my head to my feet, so no scrapes.

Another fellow stopped to check on me. He was driving in the opposite direction and saw the whole thing. He said she just wasn't paying attention. Maybe her phone in her hand had something to do with that. I'm hard to miss with a high-viz jacket and lots of extra lights on my bike, but I guess you have to actually be looking at the road to see me. A couple of guys helped move the scoot into a parking lot and a deputy came to fill out an accident report.

My wife took me to the hospital to be checked out. Several CT scans and x-rays later the doctor said everything looks ok and sent me home. I'm pretty sore today and taking the meds they gave me at the hospital. We called our insurance agent and they've started a claim. I saw one of my doctors this morning who's gonna keep on eye on things with me and made an appointment with my ortho doc so she can check out my shoulder and arm. I'd been given a shot in that shoulder about a month ago to reduce some pain and inflammation.

In thinking what I could have done to avoid this, I guess I should've been checking my mirrors, but I was looking more at the oncoming cars, waiting for them to clear. She wasn't going very fast, as we had just left a stoplight about 200 ft before my turn. If I'd glanced down at my mirror, I might've seen she wasn't slowing down and goosed it to just keep moving down the street.

My wife isn't thrilled. She said this is the 2nd crash I've had. The other was two years ago when I laid it down to avoid hitting a kid on a bicycle. She thinks maybe it's time to hang it up. I have a different opinion, of course. My bike is at the dealer for an estimate. If it gets totaled out, I'm thinking of what I can replace it with.

Everybody be careful out there!
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
Re: Car 1 - me 0
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 08:33:45 PM »
Holy crud.  Glad you're OK...

Here's a reason to pull to the right when you stop.
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 08:55:13 PM »
AVguy, I am so sorry this happened. Creak around and get better, please. Glad it was not worse. I disagree with your other half. You have had the worst of it and should be smooth sailing for a while. Better to wear out than rust out!

Cosmo, that clip was breath taking. What was the guy in the pick-up thinking? Probably not about the situation, huh!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 09:47:23 PM »
I keep an eye on the mirror, and leave my motorcycles in gear. I've had friends get rear ended before, so I don't take chances. Even in a car I watch my mirror.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 11:34:33 PM »
AVGuy,
Just very glad things were not worse for you! The first improvement I made to my new scoot was get better mirrors to see behind me.
I swear, I spend as much time checking my mirrors as I do watching ahead - there are times I just don't like what's happening behind me so I decide not to wait out the oncoming cars and make the left turn. I just go on down the road and circle back.
We've even seen cars barely slow behind us when turning right. There'sonly so much you can do.

But one cannot always be looking at your mirrors when in situations like yours.

One small idea : I have a set of long stemmed mirrors and have swung them more to the front- than to the side.
The idea is to get them closer to my forward line of vision.

Anyway - glad you came through this as well as you did - and hope that you have no long term issues from this.

I rec'd my BESTEM case yesterday - I don't like how big it is but I do like how many LEDs it has to the side and rear. Purchased just with your experience in mind.

PS: since she'll be buying - pick out something pretty!
Stig
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 12:40:43 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 11:46:10 PM »
Sorry about your bad luck AvGuy glad you're still walking. Inattention by car drivers is the biggest danger we face as scooterists. Hope the scoot come through too! ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:47:55 PM by big blue »
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 12:34:01 AM »
I spend a lot of time imagining what-if scenarios such as happened to you, thinking through an escape plan... heck, I'm such a nerd I go out and practice the emergency maneuvers.  However when it comes right down to it I honestly don't know if I could pull one off, or just freeze and get smooshed.  That video posted above shows just how suddenly a situation can develop.

Again, I'm glad you're OK AVGuy.  Hope you get back in the saddle.
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 01:40:46 AM »
Sorry to hear that AVGuy.. I hope everything will be fine...  all I can say is... accidents happen... ride safe guys...

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 01:51:13 AM »
Sorry to hear this AVGuy. I'm glad to hear you were not seriously hurt. Get well soon.

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 01:55:17 AM »
Been reading about way too many of these type of incidents as of late from our forum members! :-\  You just can't be too safe when on two wheels.  Glad you came out of it relatively unscathed AVGuy.  Keep on a scootin'! ;)

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 01:58:33 AM »
Been reading about way too many of these type of incidents as of late from our forum members! :-\  You just can't be too safe when on two wheels.  Glad you came out of it relatively unscathed AVGuy.  Keep on a scootin'! ;)

... and it's mostly a SHE driving with a CELLPHONE...

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 02:21:04 AM »
AV Guy....I know your set-up.   My bikes are extremely visible as you know.  This is a valuable reminder for me to stay on the defensive.  I keep far to the left on the left turns for on-coming traffic.  never afraid to use my air horn.   Last week a very good friend (51 yrs. old) was killed in a head-on with a drunk driver.  She had ridden across the US with her husband several times on their Motorcycles.   And this was on a Sunday afternoon.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 07:57:14 PM »
I try to always look in my mirrors until other cars have safely stopped behind me at the light/intersection etc. Not much you can do in your case though, be safe, be careful, hope you recover.

I think my first hit will be my last.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 01:36:04 AM »
Glad your OK.  Chalk up another life to ATTGATT!

Being hit from behind is one of my worst fears.  :( 
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

AVGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 05:57:55 AM »
Got the repair estimate - $1600. Dealer said they didn't find any mechanical damage, just needs a lot of new plastic and misc. parts. Kymco makes some tough scoots.

My riding gear performed as advertised and saved my skin. I must not have slid on the pavement as there's no scrapes on my jacket or pants.

Looking at helmet choices. Think I'll go with a modular since somebody else will be paying.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 06:03:38 AM by AVGuy »
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()