Author Topic: Hard time starting  (Read 6450 times)

The moped learner

• View Profile
Hard time starting
« on: November 20, 2013, 12:51:56 PM »
So winter is coming and of course cold weather. Well my 2010 kymco agl is not wanting to start in this weather i well crank over tell the battery is dead but won't start the only way to help it get started is use a blowdrier nere the carb. Im useing a #85 jet with pod filter any info you guys have to help me (is there anyone else having trouble) it really suck having to use a blowdrier all the time having a job and after a long day of work and getting ready to go home but to find my moped wont start is not ony list.

blue

• View Profile
Re: Hard time starting
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 07:02:10 PM »
I have been going threw that for years. I just hook up a 75 watt light under the seat and leave on.Its just enough so the scoot starts easy.Dont go over a 75 watt light 65 works ok to but I find a 75 works better.I was also thinking about throwing a heat pad on the scoot over the carb but that just sounds to dangerest. My friend raps his whole motor with heat tape. but that also sounds not safe. good luck.

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 11:43:27 AM »
Yea thats what i was thinking but doing that everywere is not the most easy thing to do sine i need electric to use the heating pad or light. It won't even start after setting acouple of hours. 😖😫😭
My parnets think everything i moded is causing it not to start so they want me to buy a new carb, coil  they don't now what people do to there mopeds😡so my dad thinks that if i get a brand new carb😡 that it well start and run, i tryed to tell them it wouldn't but they think it well make it run THE CARB IS ALL STOCK so i dont know what they think a new one well do. IM SO ANGREY!!!

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 10:08:17 PM »
its not the carb. You can try a bigger pilet jet in the carb. But I dont think that will work eather. in the cold gas is weaker and on worm days gas stronger. maybe you can wrape the carb with some typ of foam to keep the cold off. theses days also the gas we buy has a lot of water in it and it makes the float in the carb stick. if you do go to a new carb try bigger carb and one that you can change the jets out. good luck.............

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 04:56:52 PM »
I do buy the highist grade fuel 93 octane dont know if water is a problim in this fuel

Eherim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 08:16:16 PM »
Would adding Ethanol to the fuel do any good in this situation?
Give way to trains.

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 04:51:25 AM »
Dont think so high grade fuel is well high grade. I made up my mind that it well not work in thhe winter so im going to have to buy a gas powered scooter my moped is parton my swear but is acting like a bi**h it well just sit there turning over till the batt dies i even set it in a room with some heat and no luck it runs yes if i set two space heaters by it but taking heaters to work is not the best thing to do
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:57:54 AM by The moped learner »

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 07:31:59 PM »
Dont give up. I almost did I just made a auto choke my my scoot out of a old elec. choke helps a lot for those cold days.
You just cut the wires off and at the top you drill a small hole in the top so you can stick a small screw driver in there to push the button down works great I love mine im going to make a few of theam to sale. give it a shot it realy helps me out when its real cold out.

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 10:29:25 AM »
Im not sher what your saying take a old choke unit and drill a hole in it? My parnets won't let me do that if i do thell take of my carb of and put a new one on even though it woudnt help im still going to use my moped just not in the winter. Im going to get another one for winter driving

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 11:39:50 PM »
if ya need a scoot in the colder weather go with a 2 stroke they love the cold.

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 04:36:32 AM »
That's what i thought the 4-cycle mopeds arnt ment to be in cold weather im geting a 80cc engine bicycle kit for my bike its 2 cycle😎thanks for your help blue and everyone!

Eherim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 07:50:10 PM »
I had the exact same problem as you, and added something to the fuel called "kaburatorvæske" in danish.
It seems it helped a lot. I can't figure out what it is called in english. But it prevents icing and moist in the carburator.

The product I use is based on Isopropyl alcohol, but other types also exist.

This used to be very common in Denmark and was used a lot on older gasoline powered cars with carburators. Today it is used to a lesser degree because of engines with direct injection are more common, I guess.

I hope you will try it out. It would be a shame if it works miracles and you don't give it a chance.

You can read more about it here:
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153697
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 08:04:23 PM by Eherim »
Give way to trains.

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 02:26:17 AM »
Thanks i read the form and its not in the usa so i cant get it buy it said heet or dry gas i dont think that would help since i drive my moped till my fuel is all gone then i use my spare gas tank then i make my way to the gas station. I use 98 octane gas

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 02:30:42 AM »
Oh and it started geting hard to start as fall came so the fuel or any water couldn't freeze it was like in the 45 to 50 degrees. Thats when it started its starting fit

Eherim

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 05:56:05 AM »
Freezed water in the carburator starts to be a problem even a few degrees above zero (celcius), because of some vaporizing process taking place, reducing the the temperature in the carburator.

Days with pourring rain or a lot of moist in the air also causes problems, that these kinds of products can reduce, since the water in the carburator is most often caused by moist from the air-intake. So it's a very good idea to use this from +5 to -1 degrees celcius. Below that there is not much moist in the air, and you won't experience the problems as much.

I am still more and more sure, this will help you out. Last thing you need to work out is what those kinds of products are called in the country you live in. I think your father can help you out with that, else ask a scooter dealer or ask at a gas station.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 06:02:29 AM by Eherim »
Give way to trains.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()